Div 3 North 2019-20

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Douglas Vleeshhouwer
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Douglas Vleeshhouwer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:51 am

Has anyone else noticed that the venue for weekend 1 has been changed back to Holiday Inn Doncaster?

Mick Norris
Posts: 7574
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:12 pm
Registration lists
There are a lot of names in yellow on the list considering the 4NCL said "Players registered as ENG, or not registered, must be ECF Gold or Platinum members (including juniors) at the time the registration list is submitted. This rule will be strictly enforced." (http://www.4ncl.co.uk/entry_guidelines.htm)

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5097
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:15 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:12 pm
Registration lists
There are a lot of names in yellow on the list considering the 4NCL said "Players registered as ENG, or not registered, must be ECF Gold or Platinum members (including juniors) at the time the registration list is submitted. This rule will be strictly enforced." (http://www.4ncl.co.uk/entry_guidelines.htm)
I questioned this and was told that the part that isn't enforced (membership at the time of registration) should have been omitted from the guidelines. It was made clear, however, that

"We strictly enforce the rule that a non-member who is registered as a player (i.e. not a wildcard) may not sit down and play a a game. That meets our obligations to the ECF."

Roger Lancaster
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:52 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:15 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:12 pm
Registration lists
There are a lot of names in yellow on the list considering the 4NCL said "Players registered as ENG, or not registered, must be ECF Gold or Platinum members (including juniors) at the time the registration list is submitted. This rule will be strictly enforced." (http://www.4ncl.co.uk/entry_guidelines.htm)
I questioned this and was told that the part that isn't enforced (membership at the time of registration) should have been omitted from the guidelines. It was made clear, however, that

"We strictly enforce the rule that a non-member who is registered as a player (i.e. not a wildcard) may not sit down and play a a game. That meets our obligations to the ECF."
I received the same reply. I think it was implicitly accepted that the contents of the 4NCL email, which Ian quotes, were inconsistent with the rules.

Brian Towers
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:36 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:15 pm
There are a lot of names in yellow on the list considering the 4NCL said "Players registered as ENG, or not registered, must be ECF Gold or Platinum members (including juniors) at the time the registration list is submitted. This rule will be strictly enforced."
Out of curiosity how do team captains / organizers check that a player who says they updated their membership to gold two days ago actually did so successfully?

Not suggesting any untoward behaviour by players, here, since I've done stuff online and later found it didn't go through due to either internet glitch or me missing some well hidden checkbox or "Are you really, really sure?" prompt.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5097
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:36 am
Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:15 pm
There are a lot of names in yellow on the list considering the 4NCL said "Players registered as ENG, or not registered, must be ECF Gold or Platinum members (including juniors) at the time the registration list is submitted. This rule will be strictly enforced."
Out of curiosity how do team captains / organizers check that a player who says they updated their membership to gold two days ago actually did so successfully?

Not suggesting any untoward behaviour by players, here, since I've done stuff online and later found it didn't go through due to either internet glitch or me missing some well hidden checkbox or "Are you really, really sure?" prompt.
Now that we no longer have a membership list or search option on the ECF site then the grading database is the only way I know of looking for the membership status of my players.


Mick Norris
Posts: 7574
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:09 am

The weather isn't great in Doncaster; the river isn't that far from the hotel, but as far as I can see, the roads nearby aren't currently affected
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

MartinCarpenter
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:12 am

Looking at the online flood warnings, its just about clear. It hasn't peaked in Doncaster yet mind.

The trains are utterly wrecked at the moment, I'm not sure how many people that affects.

Mick Norris
Posts: 7574
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:10 pm

We've got people travelling by train from Manchester and further north, plus players driving from a number of locations including Silverstone
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

MartinCarpenter
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Ah. The trains are fine over the Pennines by getting into Doncaster is very hard right now. I'm definitely not sure about trying it at the moment.

Alex McFarlane
Posts: 1420
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm

I've got here without too much trouble. I did leave quite early in case of difficulties.

Took a bit longer than usual. Traffic on the A1 is slow moving... but moving!

Reception says it has been quite bad today round about but hotel is open.

I've been told by one of the teams that the Boat Inn has had to close and won't be open tomorrow.

No idea about trains though.

Mick Norris
Posts: 7574
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 pm

There are a few cancelled trains tonight from Manchester to Donny, but currently showing as ok tomorrow & Sunday

Flood warning at Sprotborough, which is the other side of the river from Warmsworth; I've not been to the Boat Inn, but not surprised it is closed
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

MartinCarpenter
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Div 3 North 2019-20

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:26 pm

I think they might be being optimistic about those Manchester to Doncaster services. The big thing is that Sheffield to Doncaster is out, with no estimate for a time to reopen. So it might be back tomorrow, maybe not.
(That's the main Manchester service)

Leeds/York to Doncaster have got some services running but that makes the trip from Manchester a real haul. At least, as per Google maps, the main roads through Doncaster to/from the station are OK.
Last edited by MartinCarpenter on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply