Page 3 of 4

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:38 pm
by Bob Clark
Manx Liberty v Cheddleton in Round 1, is that right?

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:15 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Bob Clark wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:38 pm
Manx Liberty v Cheddleton in Round 1, is that right?
Yes, you are right, I hadn't noticed that. Round 1 takes place on 29th February though after the teams have played rounds 3-6 :roll:

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 pm
by Mick Norris
So in order, Manx play Blackthorne Russia, Barbican 2, Guildford 2, Wood Green, then Cheddleton, Grantham and finally Gonzaga

Is that roughly what you'd expect from "normal" seedings?

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:52 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 pm
So in order, Manx play Blackthorne Russia, Barbican 2, Guildford 2, Wood Green, then Cheddleton, Grantham and finally Gonzaga

Is that roughly what you'd expect from "normal" seedings?
Wood Green Monarchs rather than the first team. Facing both Guildford 1 and Manx Liberty on the same day is quite a challenge :oops:

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:55 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:52 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 pm
So in order, Manx play Blackthorne Russia, Barbican 2, Guildford 2, Wood Green, then Cheddleton, Grantham and finally Gonzaga

Is that roughly what you'd expect from "normal" seedings?
Wood Green Monarchs rather than the first team. Facing both Guildford 1 and Manx Liberty on the same day is quite a challenge :oops:
We had that occasionally, eg round 7 in 2005/6, our first team played Guildford 1 while our second team played Wood Green 1. And no, optimism and a sense of natural justice did not overcome the rating disparities.

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
Actually I notice now that the four seeds in pool A are exactly the same as last year - Guildford 1, White Rose, Wood Green 1, Barbican 1. That's a bit dull, and we are even playing on the same sundays in the same order of weekends ...

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:04 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:55 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:52 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 pm
So in order, Manx play Blackthorne Russia, Barbican 2, Guildford 2, Wood Green, then Cheddleton, Grantham and finally Gonzaga

Is that roughly what you'd expect from "normal" seedings?
Wood Green Monarchs rather than the first team. Facing both Guildford 1 and Manx Liberty on the same day is quite a challenge :oops:
We had that occasionally, eg round 7 in 2005/6, our first team played Guildford 1 while our second team played Wood Green 1. And no, optimism and a sense of natural justice did not overcome the rating disparities.
Oh and hang on, our two teams are also playing Guildford and Manx on the same day this season !!

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:25 pm
by Nick Burrows

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:22 am
by LawrenceCooper
That prompted their round 2 opponents captain to nervously check their registration list for the weekend :oops:

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:11 am
by Nick Burrows
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:22 am
That prompted their round 2 opponents captain to nervously check their registration list for the weekend :oops:
Maybe you caught them at a good time. Winter is coming..

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 pm
by NickFaulks
Been at the Holiday Inn for an hour, spent twenty minutes in the queue twice and been told I must now do that again because you are just expected to go round and round until your room is ready. Even by normal 4NCL standards this is hopeless.

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:55 pm
by John Upham
NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 pm
Been at the Holiday Inn for an hour, spent twenty minutes in the queue twice and been told I must now do that again because you are just expected to go round and round until your room is ready. Even by normal 4NCL standards this is hopeless.
Is "White Christmas" being played on the PA system ? Seems appropriate for that Hotel.

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:28 pm
by Nick Grey
Best to commute. I'm now hoping for a lift on sunday. That is my car driver has opponent default today.

Hoping that no one is getting this message with their phone going off.

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 am
by Paul Habershon
NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 pm
Been at the Holiday Inn for an hour, spent twenty minutes in the queue twice and been told I must now do that again because you are just expected to go round and round until your room is ready. Even by normal 4NCL standards this is hopeless.
I'm laid back about this sort of thing. I don't think any hotel guarantees to have all rooms ready by 1345. I leave my suitcase in the car, register my presence at check-in and if the room is ready that's an unexpected bonus. If not, I collect the key after my game. For those not driving, I'm sure reception can store luggage (or you can just take it to the playing area).

Re: 2019-20 Season

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:26 pm
by Paul Habershon
Paul Habershon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 pm
Been at the Holiday Inn for an hour, spent twenty minutes in the queue twice and been told I must now do that again because you are just expected to go round and round until your room is ready. Even by normal 4NCL standards this is hopeless.
I'm laid back about this sort of thing. I don't think any hotel guarantees to have all rooms ready by 1345. I leave my suitcase in the car, register my presence at check-in and if the room is ready that's an unexpected bonus. If not, I collect the key after my game. For those not driving, I'm sure reception can store luggage (or you can just take it to the playing area).
PS re Holiday Inn, Maidenhead, I think they should have striven to have 3 people on Reception, especially between 1245 and 1400. There were only two when I was queuing at 1325.