4NCL online - some chess!!!

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Jonathan Rogers

4NCL online - some chess!!!

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:16 pm

I don't suppose it is any great surprise that any new online competition becomes a 35 page (and counting) thread about cheating. Nor is it any great surprise that little interest is paid to the actual competitive results and achievements, because that was also true of the OTB 4NCL...

Still, trying to redress the balance just a bit, I should like to congratulate Warwick University on making the play-offs in div 1. They started terribly, with a draw and loss to lesser seeded (and subsequently generally unsuccessful) teams, and after losing to the group winner they were still on a minus score after round 5. But they won their remaining matches, including excellent results "oustide" their own pool: 3-1 wins over my team (Barbican) in round nine and Wood Green Monarchs, ie Wood Green 2, in round 10 (yesterday). This latter result meant they caught up with Wood Green 1, who were in their original pool, and who had an even worse experience yesterday; and I assume, by virtue of the tiebreak rules, that Warwick University actually qualify ahead of them having drawn ther own encounter but with better board count!

Perhaps they are lucky on that final point: they would have lost out to Wood Green on many other tie break systems. But the comeback is tremendous and I am sure that many like the idea of a new team qualifying by "doing the business" over Barbican and Wood Green (altogether they made two wins and a draw in their matches against these teams). And I tip my hat to them too.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: 4NCL online - some chess!!!

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:45 pm

I don't know whether to congratulate Jonathan or report him to the moderators for talking about chess. I have to confess I had no idea what any of the results were... Well done Warwick U!

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:53 pm

Always good to see former club members doing well in new teams.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Go Warwick Uni :) They've got such a strong maths department that they've inevitably picked up a lot of good chess players over the years.

It looks like there's some danger of Guilford not winning this, unless I suppose they view it as a matter of pride and reinforce!

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:10 pm

Roger Emerson (via social media) wrote:I would like to thank Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak, and the entire 4NCL online team, including Shohreh Bayat, Matthew Carr, Tim Dickinson, Andy Howie and Dave Thomas, for both creating the 4NCL online team competition and running it so efficiently, with strong support from the vast majority of players and captains. The sheer number of team entries shows how much this initiative has been welcomed as a means of playing friendly but competitive chess in a peiod of time where every over the board chess competition and club activity has been suspended Nearly every division of 4NCL Online had a fight to the wire for at least one of the top two places, and I think the same applies to the fight to avoid relegation, which kept tension to the last – as I can personally witness from our battles in Division 1A. I hope that as many as possible of the players involved will also express their thanks
I doubt Roger will mind me posting this here, not least because I very much support the sentiment; and further, because Roger invites general support for his statement.

I must concede that events have passed off better than I would have predicted ten weeks ago. Then, I would have predicted far more cheating (with this time limit), and therefore far more rancour, than we have seen. A credit therefore to the community generally: good sportsmanship and the integrity of the game largely protected. Hurrah!

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:41 pm

Agreed, and I think it will only get better for next season. I chose not to play at this time limit this season but hoping to join up next time!

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:02 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:10 pm
I must concede that events have passed off better than I would have predicted ten weeks ago. Then, I would have predicted far more cheating (with this time limit), and therefore far more rancour, than we have seen. A credit therefore to the community generally: good sportsmanship and the integrity of the game largely protected. Hurrah!
Not that surprising I think. Peoples real world reputations at stake and hardly glittering prizes to be won.

Honestly most OTB chess players seem to be rather well adjusted and simply don't really care enough to even dream of it :)

Interesting to see where it & the online county chess go.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:01 pm

It will be good to see some game analyses. I hope the next season is at the weekend.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:48 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Roger Emerson (via social media) wrote:I would like to thank Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak, and the entire 4NCL online team, including Shohreh Bayat, Matthew Carr, Tim Dickinson, Andy Howie and Dave Thomas, for both creating the 4NCL online team competition and running it so efficiently, with strong support from the vast majority of players and captains. The sheer number of team entries shows how much this initiative has been welcomed as a means of playing friendly but competitive chess in a peiod of time where every over the board chess competition and club activity has been suspended Nearly every division of 4NCL Online had a fight to the wire for at least one of the top two places, and I think the same applies to the fight to avoid relegation, which kept tension to the last – as I can personally witness from our battles in Division 1A. I hope that as many as possible of the players involved will also express their thanks
I doubt Roger will mind me posting this here, not least because I very much support the sentiment; and further, because Roger invites general support for his statement.

Can I endorse everything that Roger has said and thank David for bringing the posting to our attention. I'm sure that the vast majority of players have thoroughly enjoyed the competition.

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:01 am

It's certainly a better show for Warwick University, since their last appearance in 4ncl a few years ago, under the Hounds and Bears.. Much easier having both current and alumni players involved, when it's online, with no travel and accommodation issues plaguing terribly organised students and academics!
G. Secretary, https://WarwickChessAlumni.blogspot.com/
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:43 am

David Robertson wrote:
I agree with Roger Emerson and I therefore have the unusual but welcome experience of agreeing with David Robertson.

David Robertson wrote:
I must concede that events have passed off better than I would have predicted ten weeks ago.
That is not true in my case. I was concerned about the fairness of the Fair Play Regulations and I predicted events similar to those which have occurred. Since then the ECF Fair Play team have worked hard to address the issues raised by me and others, and I appreciate their efforts. I am giving my support to the ECF Online Counties Championships currently in progress and I shall do likewise for the next season of the 4NCL Online.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 pm

Is the event still continuing on Tuesdays, eg KO quarter-finals are tomorrow evening in div 1? I assume so, but cannot find confirmation via 4NCL website

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 pm
Is the event still continuing on Tuesdays, eg KO quarter-finals are tomorrow evening in div 1? I assume so, but cannot find confirmation via 4NCL website
Isnt the date and link on the front page, under the results table

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:27 pm

Alan Walton wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:08 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 pm
Isnt the date and link on the front page, under the results table
at the risk of embarrassing myself, I still don't see it

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Attachments
4nonline.png
4nonline.png (35.4 KiB) Viewed 3265 times