4NCL online - some chess!!!

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
MartinCarpenter

Re: 4NCL online - some chess!!!

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:12 pm

The White Rose - Wood Green emi is making me feel better about the number of pieces I give away playing online :)

Mildly impressed that Sielecki has managed to keep playing moves rather than resigning on aesthetic grounds after e6 nailed both kingside pieces down for good.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:29 pm

The final position is highly lollable
IM Christof Sielecki (via Twitter) wrote:Not going our way' is a very understated way of saying that I got thrashed mercilessly :-) But we are through, probably with a 3-1 at the end!

Caoimhín de Búrca

Post by Caoimhín de Búrca » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:04 pm
Why did Anglian Avengers default?
3 Smarties 1 Tube defaulted in Div 3 also.

A bit...unsatisfactory all told?

Pete Heaven

Post by Pete Heaven » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Both teams have had players banned during the past week.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Pete Heaven wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 pm
Both teams have had players banned during the past week.
By lichess or the 4NCL?

If it's lichess, no evidence is presented.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:22 pm

First let me say I'm not clear on exactly why teams have withdrawn. It may be that reasons vary somewhat.

Having said that, to withdraw a whole team rather than to field a different player... doesn't sit well with me at all. You can play on under protest but you play. Not doing so seems disrespectful to the opposition, especially at such a late stage. Oh well.

I did enjoy the chess tonight though, lots of interesting games. Hopefully more to come next week in the final!

Pete Heaven

Post by Pete Heaven » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi - to be more more precise, their entries have the lichess 'computer assistance' flag and no, I don't know if this was reason the teams withdrew - not all teams who have had players banned in the past 7 days withdrew. However, it seems like a possible reason.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:51 pm

A totally unsatisfactory situation. I await the next 4NCL Fair Play update report with interest; surely there should have been one before we reached the knock-out stages?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:06 am

Neil Graham wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:51 pm
A totally unsatisfactory situation. I await the next 4NCL Fair Play update report with interest; surely there should have been one before we reached the knock-out stages?
I thought lichess were outside the control of the 4NCL.

I have two thoughts on this. One is that anyone playing good moves is vulnerable to being accused. The other is as to whether teams are gaming the system. You have a player who is in fact using external assistance. They get banned, but the team as a whole has qualified for something. A sacrifice for a long term advantage.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:51 am

"... The other is as to whether teams are gaming the system. You have a player who is in fact using external assistance. They get banned, but the team as a whole has qualified for something. A sacrifice for a long term advantage."

I did notice a player - in team that qualified for the KO stages - who won all his games when white and when black conceded a single draw. (That was against opponents roughly about the same rating as himself - some a bit higher and some a bit more lower.)

He disappeared along the line - I know not why.

Anyway, the show must go on...

I'd check what follows as it is my unofficial version.

Finals -

Div 1 -

Chessable WR I v. Guildford Younguns

Div. 2 -

Wood Green Youth v. ChessPlus Beta

Div. 3 -

Brentwood v. Warwick U. B

Div. 4 -

Celtic Tiger Cubs v. Chessmates/Bon Accord B?

(Not sure about Bon Accord B - they drew 2-2 in the semis with wins on boards 1 & 4.)

Let's hope all turn up next Tue.
Last edited by John McKenna on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caoimhín de Búrca

Post by Caoimhín de Búrca » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 am

A win on board 4 means you lose on second tie-break -
If the event of a drawn match, the tie will be broken using:
a. The lower board count in the results between the teams which remain tied;
b. The game points remaining after elimination of the bottom board or boards as
necessary;
c. The team with the higher end of season placing (i.e. closer to 1)

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:10 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:51 am
I did notice a player - in team that qualified for the KO stages - who won all his games when white and when black conceded a single draw. (That was against opponents roughly about the same rating as himself - some a bit higher and some a bit more lower.)

He disappeared along the line - I know not why.
I can also identify a player fitting this description but I don't have any insight into the circumstances.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Almost impossible though it apparently is to stick to the chess, the first division match last night was interesting and bodes well for the final, which I feel quite sure WILL take place. Presumably Gawain will play against his "real" 4NCL team?

Richard Weaving must have made a huge score for his team; similarly James Adair, without whom White Rose could have been sensationally defeated in the QF.

Adam Ashton

Post by Adam Ashton » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Thomas Rendle wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:22 pm
First let me say I'm not clear on exactly why teams have withdrawn. It may be that reasons vary somewhat.

Having said that, to withdraw a whole team rather than to field a different player... doesn't sit well with me at all. You can play on under protest but you play. Not doing so seems disrespectful to the opposition, especially at such a late stage. Oh well.

I did enjoy the chess tonight though, lots of interesting games. Hopefully more to come next week in the final!
If a team feels that the issue is in Lichess detection methods and they ban players too casually, then I could understand their not wanting to support the platform any further. Wouldn't playing on without them be a tacit admission of their guilt?

I honestly feel the issues with on-line chess for serious play are not resolvable. Therefore maybe the emphasis should be on 'fun' until we can get back to otb. On-line happens to be perfect for bullet, chess960 etc...

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Adam Ashton wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:31 pm
Thomas Rendle wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:22 pm

If a team feels that the issue is in Lichess detection methods and they ban players too casually, then I could understand their not wanting to support the platform any further. Wouldn't playing on without them be a tacit admission of their guilt?

I honestly feel the issues with on-line chess for serious play are not resolvable. Therefore maybe the emphasis should be on 'fun' until we can get back to otb. On-line happens to be perfect for bullet, chess960 etc...
To be honest I disagree, I think you can say you dispute the decision and play the match anyway. Hopefully this will be clearer if/when there's a right of appeal. I think we have a great opportunity to promote serious chess online, but I admit it won't convince everyone.

I'm really looking forward to the final and I'm intending to do some commentary, obviously concentrating on Division 1 but maybe checking out other games as well. I wonder what team Guildford will field for the final!?