4NCL online - some chess!!!

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: 4NCL online - some chess!!!

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:46 pm

oh yes, at the top of the results table, silly me.

One of Anglian Avengers and Watford to make the semis then! That also looks the hardest match to call, unless Warwick U are going to add Guildford to their list of "regular 4NCL" scalps.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:49 pm
In Div 2, Exeter are in the QF despite finishing 3rd behind Wigston who are omitted?
Has anyone worked out why yet? The pairing is still as Nick stated, almost a week ago.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:33 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:09 pm
Nick Burrows wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:49 pm
In Div 2, Exeter are in the QF despite finishing 3rd behind Wigston who are omitted?
Has anyone worked out why yet? The pairing is still as Nick stated, almost a week ago.
I was told Wigston did not want to take their play off place.

Pete Heaven

Post by Pete Heaven » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 am

The quarter final line-up is a bit random, however. I guess that any annulment of wins/draws by players subsequently banned would be opening up too many cans of worms. For example, Bristol University, who finished 2nd in their Group with 13 match points, to secure their spot in the play-offs tonight, would have had a mere 5 match points* from their ten group matches had their disqualified player's results not counted.

* This 5 points could increase in the event of any results where they were the victims.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:34 am

That would obviously also immediately tip the names of the player off to the world, which I think is very much not the intention?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:34 am
That would obviously also immediately tip the names of the player off to the world, which I think is very much not the intention?
Even if it did, it wouldn't be actionable. Un-publishing something is not libel. Just delete their results.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:46 pm

One of Anglian Avengers and Watford to make the semis then! That also looks the hardest match to call, unless Warwick U are going to add Guildford to their list of "regular 4NCL" scalps.
Any thoughts on the other two quarter-finals?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:00 am

Adam Raoof wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 am
Even if it did, it wouldn't be actionable. Un-publishing something is not libel. Just delete their results.
Interesting point. Most definitions of defamation were arrived at in pre-electronic times, ie. before it was possible to 'unpublish' something, but I suspect that 'unpublishing' the word 'not' in a sentence such as "[name] is not a cheat" might well be defamatory. If so, what holds good for a single word might also be true of a sentence. [With apologies for setting a poor example and going off topic].

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:47 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 am
Wood Green Monarchs had a great win over a Battersea Horses team containing three GMs. Like you, I was watching Jovanka Houska's heroic draw, although in the end it didn't matter.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:58 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:

Well done to Wood Green Monarchs! I admit that I wrongly assumed Battersea would win, though given the way Monarchs had just recently played v Barbican and Warwick Uni, there was some foundation for that. A deserved win though. Perhaps the team had been waiting for the KO stages, and maybe a small shuffle of the team (Marcus Harvey seemingly replacing Adam Taylor) helped?

White Rose's match turned out to be even more surprising - presumably they only won on board count, though they had been coasting to victory earlier, it seemed to me. I was a bit surprised that they could be paired immediately against Celtic Tigers, given that they were in the same starting pool too.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:58 am
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:

Well done to Wood Green Monarchs! I admit that I wrongly assumed Battersea would win, though given the way Monarchs had just recently played v Barbican and Warwick Uni, there was some foundation for that. A deserved win though. Perhaps the team had been waiting for the KO stages, and maybe a small shuffle of the team (Marcus Harvey seemingly replacing Adam Taylor) helped?

White Rose's match turned out to be even more surprising - presumably they only won on board count, though they had been coasting to victory earlier, it seemed to me. I was a bit surprised that they could be paired immediately against Celtic Tigers, given that they were in the same starting pool too.
As I understood it (although I would be pleased to be corrected) the quarter finals were seeded with 1v8; 2v7; 3v6; 4v5 with the semi-finals highest seed v Lowest seed, two middle seeds playing each other. Theoretically the final match should be between Seeds 1v2.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:21 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:58 am
LawrenceCooper wrote:

It was all a cunning plan to lull them into a false sense of security :oops:

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Now just less than 24 hrs. until...

Semis: (Tue. 23/06/2020)

Div 1 -

Chessable WR I v. Wood Green Monarchs

Guildford Younguns v. Anglian Avengers I

?Final? Wood Green Monarchs v. Guildford Younguns

Div. 2 -

Wood Green Youth v. St. Benildus A

Chessable WR II v. ChessPlus Beta

?Final? Wood Green Youth v. Chessable WR II

Div. 3 -

Brentwood v. 3 Smarties 1 Tube

West is Best II v. Warwick Uni. B

?Final? Brentwood v. Warwick U. B

Div. 4 -

Celtic Tiger Cubs v. Kent KJCA Kestrels C

Bon Accord B v. Chessmates

?Final? Celtic Tiger Cubs v. Bon Accord B

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:43 pm

Team lists are being published about now for a 19:30 start, I believe.

[NB- See the post above for my predictions]

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:04 pm

Why did Anglian Avengers default?