4NCL NORTHERN LEAGUE

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Peter Shaw

Re: 4NCL NORTHERN LEAGUE

Post by Peter Shaw » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:42 pm

The Yorkshire league has always avoided clashing with the 4NCL so this shouldn't be a problem.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Peter,

By the way, congratulations are in order. I've just had confirmation that you qualified for the British Championships at last weekends Sunningdale congress.

Sean

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Great to see that on the website that the number of teams in the Northern League is now up to 9. I think that we appear to be seeing the formation of a good foundation to get this competition up and running.

p.s. I am happy to hear from any other players still looking for a team and interested in playing for my 2 teams (Bradford DCA Knights A & B) in this competition.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Great start to the Northern League last weekend.

Redworth Hall was a very good venue, bit expensive for beer and food though!

Bradford DCA Knights 'A' are up and running with 2 wins in the first weekend. Having looked at the Division 3 South matches it doesn't look like we are that far off the pace regarding comparative team strength either. Looking forward to the last weekend, hope we are in the running at that point :-)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Andrew Wainwright wrote:Bradford DCA Knights 'A' are up and running with 2 wins in the first weekend. Having looked at the Division 3 South matches it doesn't look like we are that far off the pace regarding comparative team strength either. Looking forward to the last weekend, hope we are in the running at that point :-)
Do you think? I reckon Bradford A must be hot favourites for promotion. Looking at the strength of the Northern league your guys could practically be promoted by the time the final weekend comes along. It's easy to imagine you having 14 points or more by then, whereas the top sides in the National Div.3 are likely to have dropped points to each other. The top Div.3 teams usually go into the final weekend with 12 points.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Sean

Would like to think that if we do secure a promotion spot then it will be on the strength of our performances in the last weekend. Anyway Atticus and Cheddleton will give us good matches before then, also Jorvik and Holmes Chapel look tricky.

It does help though having the only titled player in the Northern Division on our top board ;-)

At this point though I just wanted to congratulate the 4NCL on getting this league up and running. With 2-4 more teams it would be even better. Things look good for the future based on the first weekend.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Also quite proud that 5 of our 12 players in the first weekend were u18 yrs old.

This league is not only promoting fide chess in the north of the country, but is also allowing promosing juniors from these parts the chance to play at a higher level without having to travel a prohibitively long distance to do so.

A great development for chess all round :-)

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 pm

Yes, I second your comments Andrew. A very good venue on the fringes of the scenic Teesdale Valley, not far from Bishop Auckland. `Mancunia` stuttered into action & had a struggle raising a team due to some late withdrawals, so hopefully next time things will run more smoothly and more of our senior players will join in and lend there support..
This certainly does have all the makings of a very good chess event for the Northern chess community, and its great to get these opportunities to do battle & enjoy some good social. Hopefully more of our senior players & rising juniors will join in and give there support to help create a really top class event.
As you said, if some other areas come on board next season, that would be very good. Sheffield, Huddersfield, Teesside/Durham/Newcastle, Central Lancs & other areas/leagues I`m sure could raise good teams & make valued additions, raising the profile.
The pics on the 4NCL website are very good & show the venue to be top draw. We were also very lucky with the weather, which made the trip over the M62 all the better. I`m still trying to get my head round the challenges of finding my way round the venue. It was a real maze of a place.
Roll on rounds 3&4 at the Crewe Barcelo Hotel venue in January....!
Congrats to Mike Truran & his team...the arbitors & all for getting this off the ground.
Last edited by David Pardoe on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Andrew Wainwright wrote:It does help though having the only titled player in the Northern Division on our top board ;-)
Andrew, sorry to correct you on a couple of points,

But Manchester do have Jeff Horner registered who is an IM

And also 3Cs have entered a junior team in the "normal" 3rd division, so also promoting junior chess, who drew 3-3 against the Gloucestershire team, and closely lost to the Channel Island team, this is with the top 3 juniors missing
Last edited by Alan Walton on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Alan, its players like Jeff who could really help give this event some spark...bring them on.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 am

Andrew Wainwright wrote:Would like to think that if we do secure a promotion spot then it will be on the strength of our performances in the last weekend. Anyway Atticus and Cheddleton will give us good matches before then, also Jorvik and Holmes Chapel look tricky.
I'd like to think so too :D

It's no criticism of the Northern teams. I'm kicking myself that we didn't enter a team in the North!

Richard Cowan

Post by Richard Cowan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:33 am

I second the comments above! Apparently it was an excellent weekend, and I know all the Yorvik players enjoyed it. Unfortunately I couldn't be there, as I was playing a european railway match in Coventry - we came 3rd/4 :( for those interested!
Anyway, I hope to make the subsequent matches and see what all the fuss is about :p I'm sure the North West teams will be stronger when playing in Crewe as opposed to Darlington (or Harrogate), as it's definately easier to get your players to commute rather than stay over, but still we hope to get some more wins!