The Snow

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Joey Stewart

The Snow

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:44 pm

I was wondering, will many people be willing to brave the terrors of the (predicted) fresh snowfall which we are due to face this week or would discretion be the better part of valour in this case?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jonathan Rogers

Re: The Snow

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Generally, the show must go on. It seems to me that many (most?) of the scheduled county matches went ahead today, even if a few players were missing.

Anyway, exactly when is the fresh snowfall predicted? Do we even have predictions more than five days in the future?

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:20 pm

I'll include the link in case I've made a mistake, but look's like a combination of snow, rain, and cold temperatures. Glad we play indoors!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?acti ... 03JA;sess=

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 pm

http://www.metcheck.com/

has always been more accurate than most and reliable.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:31 pm

I don't reckon the roads are that bad. The worst places are side-roads and little villages. So travelling by car a couple of blocks through a housing estate is the most difficult part of the journey. The main roads are fine, at least in Birmingham. I've travelled about by public transport (bus & train) for the past week, and actually arrived earlier than I would if the schools etc. weren't shut. Much less traffic to contend with. New Street had a disaster yesterday, and a few trains were delayed, but if you give yourself an extra hour to get to/from places, I don't really see it being that difficult. An inconvenience, yes. Impossible, no.

Frankly, I think society is far too quick to throw the towel in these days. If I can go by bus from a steep hill to a club venue 5 miles away when it's -12C, then I don't see why others can't.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Here's what will be posted on the 4NCL website and sent out to captains shortly:

"We are keeping a close eye on the weather and are hoping to make an "in principle" decision on late Wednesday/early Thursday as to whether or not the next 4NCL weekend should proceed based on prevailing conditions and forecasts for the remainder of the week, with a final decision being made on Friday morning. We hope this gets the right balance between making a definitive decision too early and leaving things too late - while of course recognising of course that whatever process we follow is likely to be less than perfect, particularly once the benefit of hindsight is applied!"

Here by the way is another view of the weather next weekend: http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Hinckley-UKXX0980 - no doubt weather forecasters are like actuaries in terms of the ratio of numbers of forecasts produced to the number of people involved in producing them. It does give one the feeling that using a crystal ball might be a more scientific option.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:46 am

Sambuca Sharks will want to play.

Considering the weather conditions we will not be claiming any defaults at the one hour point and will only want a default if the clocks run 2 hours.

Kind regards

Ben Purton Speaking for all 3 sharks teams.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Personally, I don't think there will be a major problem unless it snow's heavy on the Saturday morning

Hinckley Island is right next to the Motorway junction so the roads should be clear

I live near the hills in Oldham, and it is only side streets that are effected

You should just give yourself extra time to get there

BTW, last Wednesday (went it was really bad) it only took my brother 6 hours to get from Calais to Oldham using the Motorways, so anywhere to Hickley shouldn't take too long

Alan