Notts Results div 3 round 6

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Ian Kingston

Re: Notts Results div 3 round 6

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Your indignation is somewhat misdirected - I'm not the Nottinghamshire captain.

That I couldn't get a phone signal doesn't mean that others on different networks weren't able to do so or that they would necessarily be aware of the problem. I merely offered that as a possible explanation for why the message didn't get through.

I don't know what else was done or much about what else is being done.

The situation that arose could most likely have been handled better - confusion and mistakes are normal in such crises. Regardless of that, the outcome won't be improved by having an argument on this forum. (For once, my signature seems oddly appropriate.)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Not sure whether this was an option, but I've just looked at train timetables on Sunday mornings.

If you had caught the 0915 from Nottingham to London St. Pancras, got off at Leicester, then caught the 1004 from Leicester to Hinckley (which might have been a rail-replacement bus service, in actual fact), you'd arrive at Hinckley at 1047. I don't know how far it is from Hinckley to Hinckley Island, but presumably your team-mates could have gone down to pick you up and brought you to the venue (failing that, a taxi). You might miss the 1100 start time, but you'd comfortably make it in time to avoid the default.

With hindsight, was this a practical option?

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:Your indignation is somewhat misdirected - I'm not the Nottinghamshire captain.

That I couldn't get a phone signal doesn't mean that others on different networks weren't able to do so or that they would necessarily be aware of the problem. I merely offered that as a possible explanation for why the message didn't get through.

The situation that arose could most likely have been handled better - confusion and mistakes are normal in such crises. Regardless of that, the outcome won't be improved by having an argument on this forum. (For once, my signature seems oddly appropriate.)
The last thing I expected was an argument, rather an apology on behalf of your team and your part in it.
My surprise and dismay at how you and your team handled this is not misdirected. Whenever I said "you" in my last post I was referring to ALL those in your team who were involved. What possible justification can you have for the way the situation was handled? To call it a "crisis" and throw your hands in the air and say a metaphorical "oh well" reflects badly on you. Will you and your team consider refunding the travel costs of the affected WS players?

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Not sure whether this was an option, but I've just looked at train timetables on Sunday mornings.

If you had caught the 0915 from Nottingham to London St. Pancras, got off at Leicester, then caught the 1004 from Leicester to Hinckley (which might have been a rail-replacement bus service, in actual fact), you'd arrive at Hinckley at 1047. I don't know how far it is from Hinckley to Hinckley Island, but presumably your team-mates could have gone down to pick you up and brought you to the venue (failing that, a taxi). You might miss the 1100 start time, but you'd comfortably make it in time to avoid the default.

With hindsight, was this a practical option?
No - the problem was the first step: getting to Nottingham station. But there are closer stations to me (Beeston and Attenborough), both of which are within walking distance. The first train from Beeston was at 10:22, arriving Hinckley at 11:57. Google Maps tells me that I would then have had to cover 1.7 miles in under three minutes to avoid the default. The 9:37 from Attenborough has the same arrival time. And of course, you would have to assume that the trains would be running without delay, on a Sunday, despite the heaviest snowfall of the winter.

The other players affected mostly live outside Nottingham, without even the option of a local station to walk to.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:22 pm

My (admittedly fallible) memory is that an hour was allowed that weekend before defaults so you would have had 63 minutes to cover 1.7 miles. A telephone call to an arbiter would have confirmed that.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:
Ian Kingston wrote:Your indignation is somewhat misdirected - I'm not the Nottinghamshire captain.

The last thing I expected was an argument, rather an apology on behalf of your team and your part in it.
My surprise and dismay at how you and your team handled this is not misdirected. Whenever I said "you" in my last post I was referring to ALL those in your team who were involved. What possible justification can you have for the way the situation was handled? To call it a "crisis" and throw your hands in the air and say a metaphorical "oh well" reflects badly on you. Will you and your team consider refunding the travel costs of the affected WS players?
I'm not going to discuss this in public any further. I've told everyone what happened, expressed a few personal opinions, and responded politely to every post. Please don't shoot the messenger.

May I suggest that you contact our team captain with your concerns? I think that's the proper way to proceed.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:34 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:My (admittedly fallible) memory is that an hour was allowed that weekend before defaults so you would have had 63 minutes to cover 1.7 miles. A telephone call to an arbiter would have confirmed that.
The round started at 11:00 a.m. The default time was therefore 12:00 noon. So 3 minutes is correct.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:48 pm

It was you who opened the discussion by claiming that you'd been wronged by receiving 3 penalty points!
You were not blameless in this Ian. No apology then?

Robert Richmond

Post by Robert Richmond » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:29 am

"Nottinghamshire have decided to withdraw their teams from the 4NCL. This is following the 4NCL Board's decision to fine Nottinghamshire £80 for defaulting six boards in Round Six on 21st February. The players concerned could not reach the venue as they were snowed in on the morning of the 21st February which made travelling impossible. The 4NCL rules in force in 2010 with no right of appeal and no exceptions for penalties has meant that this fine is unable to be waived. The Notts CA Executive and AGM has considered this and feels given the circumstances this is unreasonable and is therefore withdrawing from the League."

Robert Richmond, President NCA, On behalf of the Executive Committee

Paul Littlewood

Post by Paul Littlewood » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:51 am

This all seems rather unfortunate. Has an official ruling been posted about this anywhere ? I had a quick look on the 4NCL web-site and couldn't find anything but could easily have missed it.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:10 pm

The moral of the story is......staying at the f-ing venue
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:38 pm

I had a feeling this was coming; the MCCU County Championship fixtures had Nottinghamshire in the Open section. This might make the MCCU Open section more interesting now that Staffs/Warks/GMan have competition...

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Given this whole fuss was caused by a match between Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire (plus one other match), it was interesting to note that they met again yesterday in the County Championship.

Astonishingly, Nottinghamshire defaulted the match - scheduled to be held in Nottinghamshire - 16-0 according to the Warwickshire CA website. What happened? Nottinghamshire never managed to field a team against Staffordshire either (it was at least rearranged). I assume they called it off properly this time! :)

Given GM have defaulted 7 boards so far this season in two matches, I wonder whether anyone will actually turn up for the season ending Notts-GM encounter... :roll: The MCCU get three nominations, so the winner of that match will qualify for the national stages!

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Interesting to see county competition brought up in the 4ncl section. I have felt that, for a few years now, the national county championships has played second fiddle fo the 4NCL, with many top players chosing to shun what was once a great competition in favour of the, arguably superior, national league. Luckily, the 4ncl is still elite enough that there is not room for all and so the lower sections of the county competition are well subscribed but I expect there will come a day when county chess starts to die a death...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Interesting to see county competition brought up in the 4ncl section. I have felt that, for a few years now, the national county championships has played second fiddle fo the 4NCL, with many top players chosing to shun what was once a great competition in favour of the, arguably superior, national league. Luckily, the 4ncl is still elite enough that there is not room for all and so the lower sections of the county competition are well subscribed but I expect there will come a day when county chess starts to die a death...
I only raised it here due to its ties with last season's events. I was toying with putting it in the MCCU section and linking it here...

I think younger players generally prefer the 4NCL to the County Championship, but I really like both. To me, both have their charm in different ways.