Last weekend

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Jonathan Rogers

Last weekend

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:55 am

Interesting "statement of intent" from Ben's first team (looking at the new registrations) ...

LozCooper

Re: Last weekend

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Interesting "statement of intent" from Ben's first team (looking at the new registrations) ...
ditto the above for e2e4.org.uk

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:45 pm

Yes, come on Sean, that's a bit of a cliche, isn't it, producing a (presumably young, cheap and under-rated) Polish player for the final weekend ... :P

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Seans team still a easy 25 years average age above mine , despite younger additions :)
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 am

Ben Purton wrote:Seans team still a easy 25 years average age above mine , despite younger additions :)
Bunch of whipper-snappers :D

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:27 am

We have such a tough draw Jonathan, i felt the only way to give us a good solid chance of confirming promotion was to consider bringing in foreign imports, i have to say our team is not as good as i had hoped as the Ash really screwed us.

Ben
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:02 pm

If I estimated a book

Cheddleton 8/15
e2e4.org.uk 3/1
Sambuca Sharks 100/30
Warwickshire Select 8/1
Barbican 4NCL youth 66/1

Ben :)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Let me tell you, we will be delighted if we come 4th. At the start of the season we thought we would do well to avoid relegation.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Ben - I presume that your long odds on Barbican Youth reflect the fact that not only would we need a good final weekend to make the top four, but also that the team cannot get promoted in any event, if our second team retains its first division status!

Incidentally, I have been looking again at the rules. The relevant rule provides -

12.8 In Divisions 1 and 2 no more than two teams from any club will be permitted to play in the same division. Where this situation is caused by a club team/teams finishing in a promotion place, it/they will not be promoted. Where this situation is caused by a club team/teams finishing in a relegation place, the requisite number of teams from that club will be relegated to a lower division in their turn to satisfy the requirements of the rule. The top placed eligible teams in Divisions 2 and/or 3 will be offered promotion as appropriate to ensure that the complement of sixteen teams in the top two divisions is maintained.

As I read this, nothing is said about what happens if (in this case) Barbican Youth should earn promotion but not be eligible to receive it. Who else would get their first division place - would it be the team which finished 13th in the first division or the team which finishes fifth in the second division? Not only does rule 12.8 not cover the situation but there is no exact 4NCL precedent either. If I were in the situation of all our relevant rivals (in the bottom of first division as well as the top of the second division!) I would be seeking clarification on this before this next weekend - "just in case" (and then the point can be covered in the rules for next season).

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi Jonathan

no no , its to win the league, which i think is more than 66/1 to be honest. Given youd need 3/3 and perfect results in the top games almost. To get promoted points wise(top 4), your probaly more 2/1 :-)

Kind regards

Ben

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Ah right, well yes 66-1 to win certainly sounds about right.

I would be more generous about Cheddleton's odds of winning - they have flattered to deceive all season and it seems as though you, at the least, will give them a hard match. Actually there are a number of very interesting clashes ahead in the promotion pool of the second division.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Jonathan, could you separate Barbican Youth from Barbican (i.e. field two entries), and then they could be promoted that way?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:46 pm

If Barbican 2 were relegated and Barbican Youth (3) promoted, would they be allowed to switch for board order purposes? ;)

Good point about splitting squads - I think Barbican once, although it may have been another team, opted for two squads as an alternative to a combined 1st and 2nd team squad.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:02 pm

To answer Alex - I don't know but suspect not. In any event, I have no interest in doing that; split team lists are disastrous. We could spend weeks over the summer emailing all our players and trying to split the teams accordingly - it would still be to no avail. Our second team would still suffer from defaults, while simultaneously the youth team would have a surplus of players, on one weekend or more.

Richard - We did do that in 1998/9 and ridiculously the first team (not the second team) came close to defaulting on a number of occasions. Never again!

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Just to clarify - the "The top placed eligible teams......" sentence in rule 12.8 is intended to cover both the promotion and the relegation possibilities in the previous two sentences of that rule.