Live Final Weekend

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Live Final Weekend

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun May 02, 2010 12:55 pm

We appear to be good to go again so I will here (and on MSN...) for half an hour until Liverpool against Chelsea takes priority :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun May 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Should have had Sambuca Sharks v e2e4.org.uk on live.

Great Match. :-)

Curry delayed. :-(

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon May 03, 2010 8:49 am

Barbican 1 6-2 Pride and Prejudice. Fantastic result for Barbican - must be the greatest in our illustrious history. Congratulations to Jonathan and the team.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 am

John Moore wrote:Barbican 1 6-2 Pride and Prejudice. Fantastic result for Barbican - must be the greatest in our illustrious history. Congratulations to Jonathan and the team.
A truly remarkable result. Well done to all at Barbican!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Should have had Sambuca Sharks v e2e4.org.uk on live.

Great Match. :-)

Curry delayed. :-(
Sharks won a topsy turvy match 4.5-3.5. It's now a head to head with Cheddleton for them for the title. Congratulations on a really good match which lasted the full 7 hours. The result unknown until the end.

Best quote was John Sugden who, on seeing Rasa Norinkeviciute play 9 moves in 7 seconds to make the second time control against Ben Edgell commented "Speaking as a fellow time trouble addict, that was cutting it a little fine!"

Great curry. Can recommend the Taj Mahal in Wokingham :-)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 03, 2010 9:29 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:It's now a head to head with Cheddleton for them for the title.
Not sure what the Live Games are going to be today..

Dave?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon May 03, 2010 9:59 am

Now all Barbican need to do is knock over WGHK and they will be champions! They will be heavily outgraded again but they have put themselves in with a chance.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon May 03, 2010 10:40 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:It's now a head to head with Cheddleton for them for the title.
Not sure what the Live Games are going to be today..

Dave?
Live games are:
Barbican 4NCL 1 v Wood Green Hilsmark Kingfisher 1
White Rose 1 v Pride & Prejudice
Cheddleton v Sambuca Sharks

There was much debate over whether to show Cheddleton v Sambuca Sharks or Oxford 1 v South Wales Dragons, but in the end opted for this.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 03, 2010 11:34 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Cheddleton v Sambuca Sharks
Two draws already :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon May 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
I guess they're just playing for the win, whereas Oxford v South Wales Dragons will have a direct effect on relegation. People at the venue can see that game; it's in the largest playing hall, so later on in the afternoon, there'll be ample space for players to gather around.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon May 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
I guess they're just playing for the win, whereas Oxford v South Wales Dragons will have a direct effect on relegation. People at the venue can see that game; it's in the largest playing hall, so later on in the afternoon, there'll be ample space for players to gather around.
I think Cheddleton need to win. Note to organisers - might be an idea to produce the league tables at the venue to reflect the actual tiebreak, not the second tiebreak. It's a bit confusing, especially as it isn't a simple matter to find the 1st group stage tables on the website.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Richard Bates wrote: I think Cheddleton need to win. Note to organisers - might be an idea to produce the league tables at the venue to reflect the actual tiebreak, not the second tiebreak. It's a bit confusing, especially as it isn't a simple matter to find the 1st group stage tables on the website.
Quite right. It is bizarre to produce league tables showing the second tie break but ommitting the first (which, by the way, is match points gained in the original pool but not carried forward to the promotion pool. A bizarre tie break IMHO when game points seems a more obvious and sensible one).

Having looked at the correct tie break I agree Cheddleton need to win the match as a draw gives the title to Sharks on tie break. I understand Cheddleton may not have been aware of this when agreeing to the two quick draws on top boards!

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon May 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Richard Bates wrote: I think Cheddleton need to win. Note to organisers - might be an idea to produce the league tables at the venue to reflect the actual tiebreak, not the second tiebreak. It's a bit confusing, especially as it isn't a simple matter to find the 1st group stage tables on the website.
Quite right. It is bizarre to produce league tables showing the second tie break but ommitting the first (which, by the way, is match points gained in the original pool but not carried forward to the promotion pool. A bizarre tie break IMHO when game points seems a more obvious and sensible one).

Having looked at the correct tie break I agree Cheddleton need to win the match as a draw gives the title to Sharks on tie break. I understand Cheddleton may not have been aware of this when agreeing to the two quick draws on top boards!
I assume the idea was to ensure no dead matches in rounds 6/7, although i imagine very few were aware of this tiebreak so wouldn't have realised. Notwithstanding this justification, it does seem somewhat unfair since circumstances can dictate that the group stages are somewhat skewed (as happened after Guildford's mini-implosion, for example).

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon May 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: Two draws already :roll:
I think Cheddleton need to win. Note to organisers - might be an idea to produce the league tables at the venue to reflect the actual tiebreak, not the second tiebreak. It's a bit confusing, especially as it isn't a simple matter to find the 1st group stage tables on the website.
Nothing wrong with short draws though, is there Richard? :wink: :lol:

Thanks for making our task of inputting the game easier. :)

Jonathan Rogers, also of this parish, had a short draw, but even his was longer than yours!

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Nothing wrong with short draws though, is there Richard? :wink: :lol:

Thanks for making our task of inputting the game easier. :)

Jonathan Rogers, also of this parish, had a short draw, but even his was longer than yours!
It's all about the team. Hopefully my suffering will not be in vain.