Does chess have any morals?
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 pm
I would be of interest to know, whether or not there is any morality in chess anymore? When situations like the below happen, it makes me question why I am playing this sport?
(Bob and Dave are Alias' for the following scenario)
"Bob, are you available to play for my team in a few weeks?"
"Yes, I am available if required."
"Great, you're in. You're playing board 3 and here are some games I have played against your opponent before"
3 Weeks later ...
"Bob, Sorry mate, but I have found someone better to play instead, so you are not playing in the match in 2 weeks time mate"
Now, Is this right or do people agree with me, that this is not only disgraceful but creates a lack of trust and disharmony within the team.
I think it is an awful thing to have been done. This has actually happened within the 4NCL. I thought chess, which is played by 99% of people who pay expenses out of their own pocket to enjoy this wonderful game, was ethical and played by people who uphold promises and play the game for enjoyment more than anything else. Why is it some managers feel that it is acceptable to subdue this sort of attitude, like the one used in arrogant sports such as Football and tarnish the game of chess?
I don't think it is right and would like to hear other people's points of view.
Thanks.
(Bob and Dave are Alias' for the following scenario)
"Bob, are you available to play for my team in a few weeks?"
"Yes, I am available if required."
"Great, you're in. You're playing board 3 and here are some games I have played against your opponent before"
3 Weeks later ...
"Bob, Sorry mate, but I have found someone better to play instead, so you are not playing in the match in 2 weeks time mate"
Now, Is this right or do people agree with me, that this is not only disgraceful but creates a lack of trust and disharmony within the team.
I think it is an awful thing to have been done. This has actually happened within the 4NCL. I thought chess, which is played by 99% of people who pay expenses out of their own pocket to enjoy this wonderful game, was ethical and played by people who uphold promises and play the game for enjoyment more than anything else. Why is it some managers feel that it is acceptable to subdue this sort of attitude, like the one used in arrogant sports such as Football and tarnish the game of chess?
I don't think it is right and would like to hear other people's points of view.
Thanks.