Indecipherable games (January 15/16)

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Alex Holowczak

Indecipherable games (January 15/16)

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 pm

The combined might of Jack Rudd, myself, some of the control team, and Sean Hewitt failed to help construct the following games. If any of the following could help supply a PGN of the game (e-mailed to [email protected]), it'd be useful.

All games are in Division 1.

Round 3
Pinter-Mladenov (Cambridge University 1 v e2e4.org.uk 1)
Pert-Collinson (WGHK 1 v Barbican 2)

Round 4
Rose-Zhou (e2e4.org.uk 1 v Oxford 1)
Jirka-Parker (ADs v Barbican 4NCL 1)

As yet, these are all I have come across. Help would be appreciated; I'll e-mail the relevant captains this notice directly, but this might catch the players directly!
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 pm

The power of the forum works its magic: I now have a copy of Rose-Zhou!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:The combined might of Jack Rudd, myself, some of the control team, and Sean Hewitt failed to help construct the following games. If any of the following could help supply a PGN of the game (e-mailed to [email protected]), it'd be useful.

All games are in Division 1.

Round 3
Pinter-Mladenov (Cambridge University 1 v e2e4.org.uk 1)
Pert-Collinson (WGHK 1 v Barbican 2)

Round 4
Rose-Zhou (e2e4.org.uk 1 v Oxford 1)

As yet, these are all I have come across. Help would be appreciated; I'll e-mail the relevant captains this notice directly, but this might catch the players directly!
Isn't Sean one of the captains? :?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Yes, that's why he was there. I asked him to help solve the Pinter-Mladenov problem, but he was beaten (but had managed to get further through the game than we had before). He said he'd get Mladenov to either come to the office or send a copy of the game; I felt a reminder here wouldn't hurt...

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:57 pm

I now have a copy of Pert-Collinson.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Were there any very exciting games you happened to see while imputting this weekend?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:35 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Yes, that's why he was there. I asked him to help solve the Pinter-Mladenov problem, but he was beaten (but had managed to get further through the game than we had before).
In my defence, I had a game to prepare for :D

I've emailed Iliyan so hopefully can get you a pgn. Failing that, send me a scan of the scoresheets and I'll have a proper crack. I've never failed to decipher a scoresheet yet!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Were there any very exciting games you happened to see while imputting this weekend?
I was mainly focussing on Division One games, so anything brilliant in them will have passed me by. There were one or two crushes in Division Three, but you'll have to wait a while for those, I'm afraid...

My game against Pepe Vives was pretty interesting for the first 20 moves or so. If anyone saw me wandering about at about ten-past-two on Saturday, laughing to myself, play through the first 7 moves of my game and you'll find out why. :oops:

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Another indecipherable game: Simmons - Hopkins (round 3, Channel Isolani - Anglian Avengers 2)

It's only the final few moves i'm unable to work out though
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:58 pm

For the endgame enthusiasts out there I suggest you look at McCullough - Foley for a very interesting ending.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

pgn file of Mladenov game emailed to you.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks Sean

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Yes, that's why he was there. I asked him to help solve the Pinter-Mladenov problem, but he was beaten (but had managed to get further through the game than we had before).

I've emailed Iliyan so hopefully can get you a pgn. Failing that, send me a scan of the scoresheets and I'll have a proper crack. I've never failed to decipher a scoresheet yet!
I happen to have a souvenir copy of a scoresheet (between two titled players no less, at an e2e4 event!) that I guarantee no human, machine or functional life-form can decipher if you're up for a challenge! ;)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:24 pm

John Sargent wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:

I happen to have a souvenir copy of a scoresheet (between two titled players no less, at an e2e4 event!) that I guarantee no human, machine or functional life-form can decipher if you're up for a challenge! ;)
If it's one of my events, chances are I've already deciphered it! What was the game?

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: If it's one of my events, chances are I've already deciphered it! What was the game?
Gutted - I just looked through my chess folder and I must have accidentally thrown it out at some point! :( It was a Radavanovic-Arkell game from Sunningdale, where literally every move from move 3 onwards looked like a squiggle. Moves themselves were literally indecipherable as I suspect no real attempt to record the game was made :lol: I hope you have a posterity copy, I loved it!