Page 1 of 2
Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 pm
by Alex Holowczak
The combined might of Jack Rudd, myself, some of the control team, and Sean Hewitt failed to help construct the following games. If any of the following could help supply a PGN of the game (e-mailed to
[email protected]), it'd be useful.
All games are in Division 1.
Round 3
Pinter-Mladenov (Cambridge University 1 v e2e4.org.uk 1)
Pert-Collinson (WGHK 1 v Barbican 2)
Round 4
Rose-Zhou (e2e4.org.uk 1 v Oxford 1)
Jirka-Parker (ADs v Barbican 4NCL 1)
As yet, these are all I have come across. Help would be appreciated; I'll e-mail the relevant captains this notice directly, but this might catch the players directly!
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 pm
by Alex Holowczak
The power of the forum works its magic: I now have a copy of Rose-Zhou!
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 pm
by LozCooper
Alex Holowczak wrote:The combined might of Jack Rudd, myself, some of the control team, and Sean Hewitt failed to help construct the following games. If any of the following could help supply a PGN of the game (e-mailed to
[email protected]), it'd be useful.
All games are in Division 1.
Round 3
Pinter-Mladenov (Cambridge University 1 v e2e4.org.uk 1)
Pert-Collinson (WGHK 1 v Barbican 2)
Round 4
Rose-Zhou (e2e4.org.uk 1 v Oxford 1)
As yet, these are all I have come across. Help would be appreciated; I'll e-mail the relevant captains this notice directly, but this might catch the players directly!
Isn't Sean one of the captains?

Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Yes, that's why he was there. I asked him to help solve the Pinter-Mladenov problem, but he was beaten (but had managed to get further through the game than we had before). He said he'd get Mladenov to either come to the office or send a copy of the game; I felt a reminder here wouldn't hurt...
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:57 pm
by Alex Holowczak
I now have a copy of Pert-Collinson.
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm
by Joey Stewart
Were there any very exciting games you happened to see while imputting this weekend?
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:35 pm
by Sean Hewitt
Alex Holowczak wrote:Yes, that's why he was there. I asked him to help solve the Pinter-Mladenov problem, but he was beaten (but had managed to get further through the game than we had before).
In my defence, I had a game to prepare for
I've emailed Iliyan so hopefully can get you a pgn. Failing that, send me a scan of the scoresheets and I'll have a proper crack. I've never failed to decipher a scoresheet yet!
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:39 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Joey Stewart wrote:Were there any very exciting games you happened to see while imputting this weekend?
I was mainly focussing on Division One games, so anything brilliant in them will have passed me by. There were one or two crushes in Division Three, but you'll have to wait a while for those, I'm afraid...
My game against Pepe Vives was pretty interesting for the first 20 moves or so. If anyone saw me wandering about at about ten-past-two on Saturday, laughing to myself, play through the first 7 moves of my game and you'll find out why.

Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm
by Rob Thompson
Another indecipherable game: Simmons - Hopkins (round 3, Channel Isolani - Anglian Avengers 2)
It's only the final few moves i'm unable to work out though
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:58 pm
by John Upham
For the endgame enthusiasts out there I suggest you look at McCullough - Foley for a very interesting ending.
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm
by Sean Hewitt
pgn file of Mladenov game emailed to you.
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Thanks Sean
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 am
by John Sargent
Sean Hewitt wrote:Alex Holowczak wrote:Yes, that's why he was there. I asked him to help solve the Pinter-Mladenov problem, but he was beaten (but had managed to get further through the game than we had before).
In my defence, I had a game to prepare for
I've emailed Iliyan so hopefully can get you a pgn. Failing that, send me a scan of the scoresheets and I'll have a proper crack. I've never failed to decipher a scoresheet yet!
I happen to have a souvenir copy of a scoresheet (between two titled players no less, at an e2e4 event!) that I guarantee no human, machine or functional life-form can decipher if you're up for a challenge!

Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:24 pm
by Sean Hewitt
John Sargent wrote:Sean Hewitt wrote:Alex Holowczak wrote:Yes, that's why he was there. I asked him to help solve the Pinter-Mladenov problem, but he was beaten (but had managed to get further through the game than we had before).
In my defence, I had a game to prepare for
I've emailed Iliyan so hopefully can get you a pgn. Failing that, send me a scan of the scoresheets and I'll have a proper crack. I've never failed to decipher a scoresheet yet!
I happen to have a souvenir copy of a scoresheet (between two titled players no less, at an e2e4 event!) that I guarantee no human, machine or functional life-form can decipher if you're up for a challenge!

If it's one of my events, chances are I've already deciphered it! What was the game?
Re: Indecipherable games (January 15/16)
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 pm
by John Sargent
Sean Hewitt wrote:
If it's one of my events, chances are I've already deciphered it! What was the game?
Gutted - I just looked through my chess folder and I must have accidentally thrown it out at some point!

It was a Radavanovic-Arkell game from Sunningdale, where literally every move from move 3 onwards looked like a squiggle. Moves themselves were literally indecipherable as I suspect no real attempt to record the game was made

I hope you have a posterity copy, I loved it!