4NCL Round 6 Game Errors

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
James Coleman

4NCL Round 6 Game Errors

Post by James Coleman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:10 pm

I don't have an email address for any of the game inputters but the recently uploaded file of Div1 4NCL round 6 games has quite a few game errors with names transposed to the wrong players from the Barbican 2 - Oxford 1 match.

For example:

Rogers-Rose was actually Savage-Morrison
Savage-Morrison was actually Berry-Tsanas
Berry-Tsanas was actually White-Poobalasingam
White-Poobalasingam was actually Piper-Rawlinson

Mike Truran

Re: 4NCL Round 6 Game Errors

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:23 pm

James

I'll send you a PM with a couple of email address.

Mike

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:39 pm

So did the live games, which somehow recorded me playing Bc2 towards the end of the game instead of Ba2. How can the live games get that sort of thing wrong? :? That was more than a little confusing, because if it had been on c2, then I could simply on the next move have played Bxf5 and my opponent would have resigned, instead of our agreeing to a draw.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:So did the live games, which somehow recorded me playing Bc2 towards the end of the game instead of Ba2. How can the live games get that sort of thing wrong?
Maybe the board couldn't read your writing? :lol:

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:22 pm

James Coleman wrote:I don't have an email address for any of the game inputters but the recently uploaded file of Div1 4NCL round 6 games has quite a few game errors with names transposed to the wrong players from the Barbican 2 - Oxford 1 match.

For example:

Rogers-Rose was actually Savage-Morrison
Savage-Morrison was actually Berry-Tsanas
Berry-Tsanas was actually White-Poobalasingam
White-Poobalasingam was actually Piper-Rawlinson
Otherwise okay? :?

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:09 pm

If it was a live boards error then the inputters would have had nothing to do with it.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:If it was a live boards error then the inputters would have had nothing to do with it.
Possibly. But possibly it's one of those extended copy-and-paste errors; you copy-and-paste once into the wrong game, then carry on moving through the games so that you're always one game out... that's an easy error to make and a nasty one to fix.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm

For the sake of clarity the games I referred to are fine on the live boards.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 pm

and yet it was there that my bishop somehow appears on c2 - I noticed it on the Monday or Tuesday after the game. So it is really nothing to do with human intervention, so far as I can imagine...

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 pm

It might have happened if the piece had been put there accidentally - did you hover it over that square before deciding to place it on a2 maybe?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:14 pm

OK, the first thing to say is that this is my fault.

What happened was an off-by-one error that Jack noticed. You'll note Piper-Rawlinson is the same game as White-Poobalasingam.

What caused the problem? If you download the pgn file from those live games, then you'll see that the Rogers-Rose game is missing from it. So I just copied and pasting without checking names; until I got lower down and noticed a problem. Evidently I didn't look back. It's the first time I've got a PGN from Dave that's had a game missing.

I have the scoresheet for Rogers-Rose in front of me, and will tend to it tomorrow night. At least it's a nice short game... :roll:

Division 3 is on the way, I have all of the games, apart from two indecipherables to decipher. My team of under-25 inputters can't handle descriptive notation!
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:28 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Possibly. But possibly it's one of those extended copy-and-paste errors; you copy-and-paste once into the wrong game, then carry on moving through the games so that you're always one game out... that's an easy error to make and a nasty one to fix.
highlight 2 games - merge - promote variation - delete all commentary - replace

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:40 pm

E Michael White wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Possibly. But possibly it's one of those extended copy-and-paste errors; you copy-and-paste once into the wrong game, then carry on moving through the games so that you're always one game out... that's an easy error to make and a nasty one to fix.
highlight 2 games - merge - promote variation - delete all commentary - replace
That would work. At least, it would work with .CBH files; I'm not sure about .PGNs.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:

I have the scoresheet for Rogers-Rose in front of me, and will tend to it tomorrow night. At least it's a nice short game... :roll:
Feel free to smack your forehead and say "doh" on my behalf, when I blunder the win away with h5-h6 (instead of Bg6 1-0)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:

Feel free to smack your forehead and say "doh" on my behalf, when I blunder the win away with h5-h6 (instead of Bg6 1-0)
If only you could have adjourned. :cry:

Anyway, an updated version of the PGN file for Division 1b Round 6 has now been sent to the webmaster.