4NCL May weekend

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Post Reply
Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19205
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

4NCL May weekend

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Here's an issue which would cause a rethink on the current 4NCL date structure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/m ... rism-drive

from which
The Guardian wrote:The tourism minister, John Penrose, confirmed plans to consult on moving the May Day bank holiday either back to October as Trafalgar Day, or forward to become St George's Day in England or St David's Day in Wales.
I suppose you could run the first three rounds on a Trafalgar weekend, at least the split into promotion and relegation groups would take place between weekends.

Alternatively you just move the final weekend to the Spring Bank Holiday. That's already been used in the past.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: 4NCL May weekend

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 pm

If you're moving the 4NCL dates, you need to be careful. The Whit Week weekend is usually in the middle of an exam period. That would annoy a lot of Div 2 teams with a junior, or teams like KJCA Kings (as they get older).

Sean Hewitt

Re: 4NCL May weekend

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:If you're moving the 4NCL dates, you need to be careful. The Whit Week weekend is usually in the middle of an exam period. That would annoy a lot of Div 2 teams with a junior, or teams like KJCA Kings (as they get older).
It would annoy me with my Whit weekend congress too! I'm already having to move next years event because it's not a bank holiday in May.

Mike Truran
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: 4NCL May weekend

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Yes, I had spotted that. I guess that as I will be thinking about arranging the 2012-2013 dates in a couple of months it will be something I will need to bear in mind. The problem of course is booking the dates without knowing what the decision is going to be.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19205
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: 4NCL May weekend

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Mike Truran wrote:The problem of course is booking the dates without knowing what the decision is going to be.
The 4NCL (or perhaps the ECF as well) could "consult" if asked that a long lead time is needed if you abolish a Bank Holiday. So it's already too late really for 2012-3, you could introduce a Trafalgar Day in October 2012, but you need more notice to abolish May Day 2013.

Alan Walton
Posts: 1322
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 4NCL May weekend

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:39 pm

One possibility if the dates have already been booked and a change is required is to have a sixth weekend with the final round on the Saturday, and then maybe it is a great opportunity to have a very large 4NCL 6 round quickplay tournament on the Sunday

User avatar
Gareth Harley-Yeo
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: 4NCL May weekend

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Alan Walton wrote:One possibility if the dates have already been booked and a change is required is to have a sixth weekend with the final round on the Saturday, and then maybe it is a great opportunity to have a very large 4NCL 6 round quickplay tournament on the Sunday
This sounds like a good idea for a 1 off if needed. I can't imagine there'd be many teams who bring in *star* players being too happy about having to pay for the travel and accom twice though.

Alan Walton
Posts: 1322
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 4NCL May weekend

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:One possibility if the dates have already been booked and a change is required is to have a sixth weekend with the final round on the Saturday, and then maybe it is a great opportunity to have a very large 4NCL 6 round quickplay tournament on the Sunday
This sounds like a good idea for a 1 off if needed. I can't imagine there'd be many teams who bring in *star* players being too happy about having to pay for the travel and accom twice though.
Gareth,

The accom costs would be the same wouldn't they, but true about the travel costs

LozCooper

Re: 4NCL May weekend

Post by LozCooper » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Alan Walton wrote:One possibility if the dates have already been booked and a change is required is to have a sixth weekend with the final round on the Saturday, and then maybe it is a great opportunity to have a very large 4NCL 6 round quickplay tournament on the Sunday
This happened at least once in the early days of the 4NCL. I remember playing against Glenn Charleshouse in the last round on the Saturday before playing an individual rapid the day after.

Post Reply