Final Weekend: ALL rooms taken already for Sat 30 April!

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Keith Arkell

Final Weekend: ALL rooms taken already for Sat 30 April!

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:54 am

I need a twin room for 3 nights - Fri 29/4, Sat 30/4 and Sun 1st of May. If anyone has booked a surplus twin,particularly for the Saturday night,then please private message me here or email me [email protected]
I can buy it off you outright or exchange it for a single room and some cash.

Thanks

LozCooper

Re: Final Weekend: ALL rooms taken already for Sat 30 April!

Post by LozCooper » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:I need a twin room for 3 nights - Fri 29/4, Sat 30/4 and Sun 1st of May. If anyone has booked a surplus twin,particularly for the Saturday night,then please private message me here or email me [email protected]
I can buy it off you outright or exchange it for a single room and some cash.

Thanks
It might be worth advertising on the 4ncl site too. Your post has prompted me to phone up and book a room on the Sunday night!

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Don't worry Keith our whole squad of 16 players haven't got a room, unfortunately due to the isolation of the current venues, you then have stay some distances away and then require transport to and fro from the venue, this obviously doesn't happen i you have venues in larger conurbations (i.e. Birmingham, when we never stayed at the Moat House)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Alan Walton wrote:Don't worry Keith our whole squad of 16 players haven't got a room, unfortunately due to the isolation of the current venues, you then have stay some distances away and then require transport to and fro from the venue, this obviously doesn't happen i you have venues in larger conurbations (i.e. Birmingham, when we never stayed at the Moat House)
Our squad of 18 also does not have a room. Which begs the question, who booked all the rooms?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:29 pm

See http://www.beautifulworldtents.co.uk/ which we might be able to use at Hinckley Island or a nearby field?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:Don't worry Keith our whole squad of 16 players haven't got a room, unfortunately due to the isolation of the current venues, you then have stay some distances away and then require transport to and fro from the venue, this obviously doesn't happen i you have venues in larger conurbations (i.e. Birmingham, when we never stayed at the Moat House)
Our squad of 18 also does not have a room. Which begs the question, who booked all the rooms?
Some advance notice saying the rooms were going quickly would have helped, it looks like it this just was ignored without any advice given to teams, on another note 3Cs have eventually got rooms at Staverton for the next weekend after being told 4 weeks ago that there no rooms left and were only able to book 2 singles and 1 double

It seems unless you book at the beginning of the year then you could end up being screwed

Also the discounted offer of Daventry is a bit of a joke, considering the 4NCL being a social event who wants to travel 20 miles plus each day, it seems the 4NCL has some things to think about again with these hotels

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Alan Walton wrote: It seems unless you book at the beginning of the year then you could end up being screwed
Why wouldn't you book at the beginning of the year?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Alan Walton wrote: It seems unless you book at the beginning of the year then you could end up being screwed
Why wouldn't you book at the beginning of the year?
I could agree if I book as an individual, but trying for over 14 players and some parents my dad (who does all booking) has always had problems getting the right volume of rooms, which normally we don't have a proper idea until 3/4 weeks prior to the actual weekend, we try our best, but really this is the first weekend we have had a major problem

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:05 pm

I imagine it depends on the make up of your team, but if at the beginning of the season the match captain establishes the availability of players for the entire season and where any reserves will have to be slotted in, you pretty well know how many rooms you want. A problem this year was that the cut off for (board order) ratings could have been very close to the first round, which gets to be a problem if you have a squad in two places with slightly different room requirements depending on who plays where.

But it sounds as if including the Northern League has exceeded the room capacity at Hinckley, perhaps the 4NCL has clashed with something else.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:26 pm

The 4NCL has taken 310 rooms or so for the Saturday night - only 50 or so have gone to the general public, so I don't think we've clashed with anything major (neither Barcelo or De Vere would book in other events that would encroach on our allocation without consulting with me first).

It's possible that the real problem (which as people know we have often had in the past) is that captains, worried about the risk of not getting rooms, are booking more rooms that they need "just in case". When they finally confirm their teams and release the rooms they don't need, the people who couldn't get rooms have made alternative arrangements.

I've emailed the 4NCL captains asking if they could review their bookings and release rooms they don't need. I suspect though that the request will be as much use as a fart in the wind.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Mike Truran wrote:It's possible that the real problem (which as people know we have often had in the past) is that captains, worried about the risk of not getting rooms, are booking more rooms that they need "just in case". When they finally confirm their teams and release the rooms they don't need, the people who couldn't get rooms have made alternative arrangements.
I couldn't get rooms at Staverton two weeks ago when I only wanted three. Last week, it was no problem.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 pm

I rest my case (I think).

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:39 pm

We had a similar problem over a month ago at Staverton, and only sorted out on Thursday

When planning for 14 players & parents you cannot rely on the individual dropouts two weeks before the event

KMcCarthy

Post by KMcCarthy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:25 am

Well so far my team has not managed to get any rooms for next weekend (not the first time for that venue) and we have none for the final weekend either - happy days and unlikely to encourage my globetrotters to come over and ensure Sambuca get relegated with us :lol:

Looking bleak
Sharks 4NCL

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:48 am

Perhaps Wood Green have bought 300 rooms of the allocation, just to stop Pride & Prejudice booking rooms for their players? :wink: