Penalties / fines for withdrawing a team?

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
John Upham

Penalties / fines for withdrawing a team?

Post by John Upham » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:51 pm

The consequences of the Berkshire Mega Final being Monday, May 2nd is that AMCA may have enough players for Saturday and Sunday but only enough for two teams on Monday.

What are the fines / penalties for pulling a team for

1. Just Monday
2. The whole weekend?

Where do I send the invoice for the fines? AMCA has no sponsor and it falls upon myself to pay them.

Maybe I could sell 6 rooms on eBay to pay for the fine? We have 20 rooms booked.

If there is another DIvision 3 team struggling to raise a team for Monday then perhaps we could agree to be paired and come to some kind of Parliament like pairing agreement?

Happy days!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sean Hewitt

Re: Penalties / fines for withdrawing a team?

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 pm

John Upham wrote:The consequences of the Berkshire Mega Final being Monday, May 2nd is that AMCA may have enough players for Saturday and Sunday but only enough for two teams on Monday.

What are the fines / penalties for pulling a team for

1. Just Monday
2. The whole weekend?
John, division 3 teams do not incur a fine so long as the intention to default the match is notified to the Chief Arbiter no later than one week before the team list submission deadline
John Upham wrote:Maybe I could sell 6 rooms on eBay to pay for the fine? We have 20 rooms booked.
John, these can be cancelled without penalty up to 14 days before the start of play.

Chin up son, you've no problems!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for the help Sean but just to be clear :

Can I pull a team for one of the rounds of the weekend or do I have to pull it for all the rounds of that weekend?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 pm

What lunatic organised a major event to clash with the 4ncl?? Surely he is the one who needs to be punished here, John, not your team!
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:20 pm

John Upham wrote:Thanks for the help Sean but just to be clear :

Can I pull a team for one of the rounds of the weekend or do I have to pull it for all the rounds of that weekend?
Yes, you can pull out just for one match if you wish according to the rules. I guess the 4NCL would rather know sooner rather than later for pairing purposes.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
John Upham wrote:Thanks for the help Sean but just to be clear :

Yes, you can pull out just for one match if you wish according to the rules. I guess the 4NCL would rather know sooner rather than later for pairing purposes.
It's not so bad at the final weekend, because they don't do the Round 11 pairings in advance of the weekend.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:58 pm

John

Here's the relevant rule:

10.7 A team defaulting a game for whatever reason will incur a penalty of £20 per defaulted game unless a successful appeal has been made under rule 12.3. This penalty will not apply to the first game defaulted by a team during the season. If a Division 1 or 2 team defaults an entire match for whatever reason a fine of £200 will be incurred unless a successful appeal has been made under rule 12.3. If a Division 3 or Northern League team defaults an entire match for whatever reason it will (a) not incur a fine so long as the intention to default the match is notified to the Chief Arbiter no later than one week before the team list submission deadline under rule 8.1 above (b) incur a fine of £50 in all other circumstances unless a successful appeal has been made under rule 12.3. In all instances where a Division 3 or Northern League team defaults a match other teams will be re-paired making use of triangular matches as necessary.

Mike

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:08 am

Joey Stewart wrote:What lunatic organised a major event to clash with the 4ncl?? Surely he is the one who needs to be punished here, John, not your team!
Ironically enough I received an email from an organiser of the Hampshire Mega Final asking me to be a Controller.

After counting to 100 I replied :
Dear ***,

Both *** and I might well have helped out at the Hampshire Mega finals since we both teach chess in a number of Hampshire schools.

In fact, I was looking forward to supporting the children and meeting their parents.

Sadly, someone didn’t look at the chess calendar first and scheduled it to clash with 4NCL.

AMCA has a number of strong juniors who have qualified to their Mega final.

I hope it goes well and sorry not to be there.

John