European Club Cup 2011 Regulations

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
LozCooper

European Club Cup 2011 Regulations

Post by LozCooper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:20 am

As there are three qualifying places available from the 4NCL for this year's European Club Cup being held from September 24th to October 2nd in Slovenia I am copying in the regulations which have just been released by the ECU in their NEWSLETTER 21 (April 11, 2011):

27TH EUROPEAN CLUB CUP MEN
16TH EUROPEAN CLUB CUP WOMEN
ROGASKA SLATINA (SLOVENIA), SEPTEMBER 24. – OCTOBER 02. 2011
GENERAL REGULATIONS
1.Invitation
European Chess Union, Slovenian Chess Federation and Sahohlacnik Maribor (technical
organizer) are pleased to invite all European Chess Federations affiliated to FIDE and ECU to
participate at the 27th European Club Cup for Men and 16th European Club Cup for Women. The
Championship will be held in Rogaska Slatina, famous spa in Slovenia, located about 100 km from
the Slovenian capital Ljubljana, about 100 km from the Croatian capital Zagreb and about 100 km
from Graz, the second largest city in Austria. The dates are September 24th (day of arrival) until
October 2nd 2011 (day of departure).
2. Participation
The valid regulations to be followed are the "ECU Tournament Rules" approved by the
General Assembly of the European Chess Union. Each European federation is allowed to take part
in this competition. According to the Rules for the European Club Cup participation is open to:
- Ekonomist SGSEU Saratov (Russia), the current cup holder in the men's competition.
- Cercle d'Echecs de Monte Carlo, the current cup holder in the women's competition.
- Two clubs per federation in which a national team championship is organised one club per
federation in which no national team championship is organised.
- Third club is allowed to that federation(s) in which a national team championship is
organised provided that at least 20 grandmasters and/or players with a FIDE-rating over 2600 have
participated in this national team championship.
- One additional club (only in man competition) for the federations which are ranked in the
first five places of the federation ranking list. For the competition 2011 the federations are Russia,
Ukraine, Armenia, Germany, Israel.
3. ECU fees
3.1. In accordance with ECU regulations each federation should pay an entry fee of 300 €
for the participating club for the men’s competition and 200 € per participating club for the women’s
competition.
3.2. According to the ECU regulations (Art. B.9.5.1), the entry fee shall be paid by the
federations to ECU before or at the start of the competition. If the entry fee is not paid by the end of
round 2 these teams will not be paired in subsequent rounds.
4. Application, registration
4.1. Every federation that intends to participate with one or more teams must inform the
organizing committee before Jun 30, 2011 of its acceptance of the invitation specifying the number
of the teams.
4.2. Entry forms must be completed and returned to the Tournament office not later than
August 1st, by fax or mail stamped by the Federation, also by official e-Mail. This date is the
registration deadline. In entry form basic team composition must be written.
4.3. The complete registration form must include surname/s, first name/s, ID number, FIDE
rating and title, and passport number of each player. It must also include the name and telephone /
e-mail / fax number of the Chief of Delegation and of the person in charge of the Club.
4.4. Copies of the registration forms should at the same time be sent to: to Tournament
Director Dirk De Ridder (e-mail: [email protected]).
© Europechess.net
4.5. All entry forms have to be put forward by the respective federation: entries not
supported by the federation will not be accepted!
4.6. Teams will not be paired until all their registration details have been fulfilled.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THE MEN'S AND WOMEN’S COMPETITION
In order to avoid the problem of last-minute team changes that are not in accordance with
the ECU Club Cup Tournament Rules each federation has to send a copy of the club list(s) as
entered for the respective national team competition to the Tournament Director.
5. Travel details
5.1. For all participants, accompanying persons and journalists, the organizer will
provide transfer from Ljubljana (100 km), Zagreb (Croatia – 100 km) or Graz (Austria – 100 km)
airport (70 € return ticket per person).
5.2. These transport services will be available on September 24th (arrival) and on October
2nd (departure). If the organizer is able he will accept special requests from Clubs regarding
transfer dates.
5.3. Players and accompanying persons who make private transport arrangements should
clearly indicate this in writing at the time of registration. They will be fully responsible for any
problems experienced during their arrival or departure and particularly for the possibility of a late
start to the Championship.
6. Payment
6.1 At the time of registration (August 1st) all costs should be transferred to the following
account:
SAHOHLACNIK d.o.o.
Istrska ulica 60 g
Maribor 2000, Slovenia, EU
Nova kreditna banka Maribor
IBAN: SI56 0451 5000 0634 791
SWIFT: KBMASI2X
6.2. The foreign bank commissions must be paid by sender. If it is not paid, the organizers
will charge the respective participants by an invoice, which must be paid in full before the end of the
second round.
7. Lodging and meals
7.1. Accommodation and meals for all players and accompanying persons, will be at:
Grand Hotel Rogaška Slatina ****+ (official hotel suggested by organizer):
Double room: 75 Euro, VAT included, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Single room: 90 Euro, VAT included, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Hotel Sava Superior ****+ (official hotel suggested by organizer):
Double room: 75 Euro, VAT included, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Single room: 90 Euro, VAT included, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Hotel Sava Standard **** (official hotel suggested by organizer):
Double room: 59 Euro, VAT included, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Single room: 75 Euro, VAT included, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Hotel Styria **** (official hotel suggested by organizer):
Hotel Strossmayr **** (official hotel suggested by organizer):
Hotel Slovenia **** (official hotel suggested by organizer):
© Europechess.net
Hotel Zagreb ****- (official hotel suggested by organizer):
Double room: 55 Euro, VAT included, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Single room: 69 Euro, VAT included, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: All hotels and tournament halls are within 3 min walking
distance.
7.2. In case a participating team does not wish to use an official hotel for their members, an
additional payment of 100 Euro per person who requires accreditation must be included with the
registration.
8. Tournament hall
The Championship will be held in Grand Hotel Rogaska Slatina (Crystal hall and Music hall)
and in Convention Center of hotel Sava Rogaška Slatina.
9. Schedule
Saturday, September 24th Arrival of participants
Saturday, September 24th, 21.00 Opening ceremony
Saturday, September 24th, 22.30 Captain's meeting
Sunday, September, 25th, 15.00 1st Round
Monday, September 26th, 15.00 2nd Round
Tuesday, September 27th, 15.00 3rd Round
Wednesday, September 28th, 15.00 4th Round
Thursday, September 29th, 15.00 5th Round
Friday, September 30st, 15.00 6th Round
Saturday, October 1st, 15.00 7th Round
Saturday, October 1st, 22.00 Closing Ceremony
Sunday, October 2nd, Departure of participants
Teams who are not represented at the technical meeting will not be paired according to the
decision of ECU Board.
10. Basic competition rules
10.1. The championship will be 7 rounds, played in the Swiss system in accordance with
the ECU Tournament Rules.
10.2. According to FIDE and ECU rules, the time control will be 90 minutes for 40 moves
plus 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an increment of 30 seconds per move, starting from
move one.
11. Additional competion rules
11.1. Important: in these championships the new regulation 6.6a of the FIDE Laws of chess
will be used: „Any player who arrives at the chessboard after the start of the session shall lose the
game“
11.2. Analyzing is not allowed in the playing hall
11.3. During the game the players are not allowed to go to the analyzing room or to the
press room.
11.4. Flash photography may be used only in the first ten minutes of the playing session.
11.5. Only the players and arbiters shall be allowed in the actual playing area, except with
the express permission of the Chief Arbiter.
11.6. Players are not allowed to enter the closed area of the top boards if they don’t play
there themselves.
11.7. As long as the game is in progress a player may talk only to an arbiter or with his
opponent as permitted by the Laws of Chess.
11.8 Regarding foreigners, ECU Tournament Regulations F1.2 will be followed strictly.
11.8.1 The teams shall be composed of six players all of whom must be members of the
club and were entitled to play for the club in the national team championship of the federation which
was organized within one year before the start of the current European Club Cup. However, players
who are foreigners to the federation in which the national team championship is organized, must
have played at least two games in this championship. Foreigners are defined as those which are
either belonging to another federation in the FIDE Rating List valid at the start of the national team
© Europechess.net
championship or have a permanent residence outside the federation in which this national team
championship is organized.
11.8.2 If a participating club wants to include a player who does not fulfill the requirements
of article 1.2 the club has to pay an amount of 2500 Euro (1000 Euro for the women’s event) to
ECU. These players have to be announced to the Tournament Director before the deadline for
nomination of teams and the extra fee has to be paid to ECU before start of the competition. In the
open competition no more than two players, in the women’s competition no more than one female
player, may be replaced.
11.8.3 Players, who are considered as foreigners according to F.1.2, and who have been
playing at least three times for the same club in previous European Club Cup competitions are
exempted from the obligation to play at least two games in the championship of the federation for
this club.
11.9 Attention is drawn to the fact that this competition is offering the possibility to achieve
GM- or IM-norms based on 7 games.
11.10 No teams of federations which have financial arrears with respect to the European
Chess Union will be allowed to enter the competition.
11.11. We assume that all the players have read the Tournament Regulations and are
obliged to obey them.
11.12. The English text of these Tournament Regulations is the authentic version.
12. Tournament Director, Arbiters and Appeals Committee
The Tournament Director of the European Club Cup 2011 will be IGM Adrian Mikhalchishin.
The Chief Arbiter of the competition will be IA Dirk de Ridder (Belgium).
The president and the members of the Appeal Committee will be announced not later than
September 1st, 2011.
13. Information
Before the tournament, information will be available on the Internet at
http://ecc2011.sahohlacnik.com
On this site will be published entry forms for registration and all necessary information
about accomodation, visas, transfers etc.
14. Information about visa
Organizer will give full support to assist participants to receive entry visas due to speed up
procedure in Embassies and Consulates of Slovenia.
Every registered player, who needs entry visa for Slovenia, has to send scanned passport,
together with his registration form and in any case not later than August 1st.
Visa’s costs will depend on the valid laws at that moment.
15. Prizes
15.1. The first three teams will receive trophies. Each member of the winning team (players,
reserves and captain) will receive a gold medal. The members of the second and third placed
teams will each receive a silver and bronze medal respectively.
15.2. For the best placed teams and for the individual results for the best board result in the
men competition, the organizer will provide prizes to the value of 40.000 Euro. For the best placed
teams and for the individual results for the best board result in the women competition, the
organizer will provide prizes to the value of 10.000 Euro.
15.3. Prize value of 50.000 Euro is disposed as folows:
15.3.1. Team prizes (will be transferred by ECU)
CLUB CUP (31.000) WOMEN (8.000)
1st place 12.400 Euro 4.000 Euro
2nd place 6.200 Euro 2.000 Euro
3rd place 4.650 Euro 1.200 Euro
4th place 3.100 Euro 800 Euro
5th place 3.100 Euro
6th place 1.550 Euro
© Europechess.net
15.3.2. Individual prizes (the best board results, will be transferred by organizer)
CLUB CUP (9.000) WOMEN (2.000)
1st place 700 Euro 250 Euro
2nd place 500 Euro 150 Euro
3rd place 300 Euro 100 Euro
Prizes will be paid by Bank transfer. Players are kindly requested to provide an IBAN
(International Bank Account Number) and a BIC (Bank Identifier Code) to receive their money prize
money transfer from the organizer. Winners are to give their IBAN and BIC to the organizer during
the closing ceremony, with their written acceptance for the prize money. If a winning player cannot
provide the requested data in Rogaska Slatina, he can send them later by an email to the
organizer.
15.3.3. Standings for the best board results will be calculated according ECU Tournament
rules.
15.3.4. Prizes for the team results are property of Clubs, and individual prizes are property
of players.
15.4. Individual prizes will be reduced with a tax of 10% according to Slovenian law.
16. Currency
The local currency is Euro.
17. Medical care
During the Tournament there will be Medical Services according to the FIDE Tournament
Regulations.
18. Electricity
The voltage is 220 (V).
19. Tournament office
All necessary information can be seen on the official tournament web-site
http://ecc2011.sahohlacnik.com
or by e-mail:
[email protected]
© Europechess.net

Jonathan Rogers

Re: European Club Cup 2011 Regulations

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 am

I've only skim-read this but I see no requirement that the three teams should all have come from the top half of the relevant domestic league. Mind you, I can't think of any team in the relegation pool which is likely to be interested.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:48 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I've only skim-read this but I see no requirement that the three teams should all have come from the top half of the relevant domestic league. Mind you, I can't think of any team in the relegation pool which is likely to be interested.
I'm still waiting for Barbican to declare an interest :cry:

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I've only skim-read this but I see no requirement that the three teams should all have come from the top half of the relevant domestic league. Mind you, I can't think of any team in the relegation pool which is likely to be interested.
That rule was scrapped a couple(?) of years ago. Betsson played in Bulgaria last year despite finishing top in the relegation pool.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:00 pm

sticks hand up!
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Simon Ansell wrote:
That rule was scrapped a couple(?) of years ago. Betsson played in Bulgaria last year despite finishing top in the relegation pool.
I think the rule may still exist (it did last year) but when you contact the organisers and ask to enter a team that will pay them an entry and organisation fee and also book hotel rooms it's amazing how accommodating they can be :lol:

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:47 pm

LozCooper wrote:I think the rule may still exist (it did last year) but when you contact the organisers and ask to enter a team that will pay them an entry and organisation fee and also book hotel rooms it's amazing how accommodating they can be :lol:
Which is consistent with the ringer rule - they're banned unless you pay the organiser €2500 when they're fine. :shock:

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
LozCooper wrote:I think the rule may still exist (it did last year) but when you contact the organisers and ask to enter a team that will pay them an entry and organisation fee and also book hotel rooms it's amazing how accommodating they can be :lol:
Which is consistent with the ringer rule - they're banned unless you pay the organiser €2500 when they're fine. :shock:
I should mention that in previous years they appear strict about not allowing any federation to enter more than three teams, but if it's three or less then they can be from championship, demotion or promotion pools.

Jonathan Arnott

Post by Jonathan Arnott » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Does anyone happen to know which teams are interested in entering? Will we definitely be able to send the full quota of 3 teams this year?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Jonathan Arnott wrote:Does anyone happen to know which teams are interested in entering? Will we definitely be able to send the full quota of 3 teams this year?
We've always been able to send three teams but it's very rare there are three teams who are willing, or perhaps more importantly, are able to afford it. I am responsible for registering teams that qualify and have already been in contact with the eight teams in the Championship Pool. I am still waiting for one or two captains to reply but at present there are three teams who want to go and three who don't. I am trying to get answers from the remaining ones so I can then make all teams aware prior to the weekend.

I should add that this is not binding and not all teams that express an interest end up going but it at least gives teams an idea of what they need to do at the last weekend.

It seems fairly definite that the teams interested are White Rose, Betsson and e2e4.org.uk
Last edited by LozCooper on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:36 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Jonathan Arnott wrote:Does anyone happen to know which teams are interested in entering? Will we definitely be able to send the full quota of 3 teams this year?
We've always been able to send three teams but it's very rare there are three teams who are willing, or perhaps more importantly, are able to afford it. I am responsible for registering teams that qualify and have already been in contact with the eight teams in the Championship Pool. I am still waiting for one or two captains to reply but at present there are three teams who want to go and three who don't. I am trying to get answers from the remaining ones so I can then make all teams aware prior to the weekend.

I should add that this is not binding and not all teams that express an interest end up going but it at least gives teams an idea of what they need to do at the last weekend.
betsson and White Rose are presumably interested. Who else?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
LozCooper wrote:

betsson and White Rose are presumably interested. Who else?
e2e4.org.uk

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:31 pm

It seems fairly definite that White Rose, Betsson and e2e4.org.uk are all interested with a possible fourth to be confirmed