Round 11 results

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Christopher Kreuzer

Round 11 results

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon May 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Could someone post the known round 11 results in this thread? It would indicate what is happening outside of the live boards, and in division 2 in particular. Thanks.

Peter Turner

Re: Round 11 results

Post by Peter Turner » Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 pm

**Hawkins has beaten Conquest!!
Will send div2 latest soon

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Mon May 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Division 2 latest
Cambridge 2 v 3Cs 1 - 1
P. Pawns 2 v Sambuca Black Sheep 1.5 – 3.5
S.W.Dragons v Kings Head ½ - ½
White Rose 2 v AMCA Dragons ½ - ½
Bristol 1 v Barbican Youth 1.5 – 1.5
Wessex 1 v A. Avengers ½ - ½
P. Pawns 1 v Rhyfelwyr 2 - 2
Guildford 2 v Jutes of Kent 1.5 – 1.5

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Mon May 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Division 2 latest
Cambridge 2 v 3Cs 1 ½ -2 ½
P. Pawns 2 v Sambuca Black Sheep 1.5 – 4.5
S.W.Dragons v Kings Head 3 - 3
White Rose 2 v AMCA Dragons 3½ - ½
Bristol 1 v Barbican Youth 3 – 2
Wessex 1 v A. Avengers 2½ - 1½
P. Pawns 1 v Rhyfelwyr 4 - 2
Guildford 2 v Jutes of Kent 2.5 – 2.5

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon May 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks for those updates, Peter. Much appreciated.

I see Pride and Prejudice beat Wood Green Hilsmark 1 by the score of 6-2 if I'm reading the results right.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon May 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Peter Turner wrote: Wessex 1 v A. Avengers 2½ - 1½
Final score was 4-4

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Mon May 02, 2011 8:34 pm

You had to feel sorry for McShane and Adams fighting for bragging rights near then end. They were stuck in a committee room which let in the noise from a wedding downstairs every time the door opened. The door opened quite often as everyone came up to see the vital Division 3 game, leaving the geandmasters to play by themselves in the corner.

We think Spirit of Atticus took top spot and FCA Solutions nicked 4th place by 0.5 game points.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon May 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Brian Valentine wrote:You had to feel sorry for McShane and Adams fighting for bragging rights near then end. They were stuck in a committee room which let in the noise from a wedding downstairs every time the door opened. The door opened quite often as everyone came up to see the vital Division 3 game, leaving the geandmasters to play by themselves in the corner.

We think Spirit of Atticus took top spot and FCA Solutions nicked 4th place by 0.5 game points.
By my reckoning Bradford won Div 3 with Atticus runners up by virtue of game points. FCA should be 4th I think, pipping Celtic Tigers and e2e4 again on game points.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon May 02, 2011 8:46 pm

And bristol showed their quality, coming third and gaining the promotion to division 1. Well done to them, who kept such a consistent team (for the most part) and were still able to achieve such a good result. It just goes to show how a good team spirit can overcome even the most difficult of odds.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Well done to White Rose for coming 3rd in division 1 and the second team for having a good final weekend! I think the second team squad in particular is relatively young and has decent prospects.

PS Well done to 'Sharks' for managing not to lose every game ;).

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon May 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Brian Valentine wrote:You had to feel sorry for McShane and Adams fighting for bragging rights near then end. They were stuck in a committee room which let in the noise from a wedding downstairs every time the door opened. The door opened quite often as everyone came up to see the vital Division 3 game, leaving the geandmasters to play by themselves in the corner. We think Spirit of Atticus took top spot and FCA Solutions nicked 4th place by 0.5 game points.
The noise was not relevant in my opinion. Mickey & Luke looked OK. I should know: I was sat playing (for Spirit of Atticus) nearly next to them. We have indeed taken 'top spot', but if Bradford have pipped us on details, then credit to them.

Who cares? I await explanations in statistical detail of how those hitherto denounced as 'weak teams' from the Northern League managed to turn up at Hinckley Island and 'steal' the natural entitlement to Div 2 promotion of far stronger teams from the main Div 3. Surely a proposal should be moved to some suitable future 4NCL meeting to investigate the circumstances by which obviously superior teams are beaten by 'inferior' teams from the Northern League. From such an investigation, the Northern League might (no breath wasted) receive an apology - or be burned at the stake

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue May 03, 2011 8:51 am

Brian Valentine wrote:You had to feel sorry for McShane and Adams fighting for bragging rights near then end. They were stuck in a committee room which let in the noise from a wedding downstairs every time the door opened. The door opened quite often as everyone came up to see the vital Division 3 game, leaving the geandmasters to play by themselves in the corner.

It was a lot quieter in the upstairs room than it was in the London room. We had to contend with slamming doors, noise from outside every entrance which increased as the day wore on, the wedding and noisy staff not to mention many boards being close to the arbiters, numerous post mortems in the playing hall and people bumping into the table because there was hardly any room to move around. It was certainly the noisiest I've known in an internationally rated event anywhere in the world.

Other than that it was perfect playing conditions :lol:

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Tue May 03, 2011 9:02 am

I've spent two rounds in the London room next to those doors. It's not an ideal spot!

It looks as though the Northern teams got 11 wins 4 draws and six losses over the weekend. FCA1 are particularly grateful for their inclusion. Between them Spirit of Atticus and Bradford 1 took out 4 of our nearest competitors. This left our first team to knock out the other two, while their third win was against BUCA. (FCA2 beat BUCA in round 11.)

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue May 03, 2011 9:34 am

Well done to Spirit of Atticus for pushing my Bradford team all the way in Div 3. You were looking likely to win the league until the final day.

However, as we beat you in our head to head match you can't grumble too much that we won the league in the end on board count. :mrgreen:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 am

Brian Valentine wrote:It looks as though the Northern teams got 11 wins 4 draws and six losses over the weekend.
Yes, it was disappointing :D

We (Manchester Manticores) should have won not drawn yesterday and Aigburth might have turned both their losses into wins had they turned up with a full team

Congratulations to Bradford and Spirit of Atticus on their promotion (they never looked back from crushing us at the first weekend of the Northern League)
Any postings on here represent my personal views