Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:51 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:(3) Playing illegal moves is bad, and makes our lives awkward. Even if they deliver checkmate... (see Div 3 R1)
Many thanks to you and all who inputted the games, but for my peace of mind can you say what this bit is referring to? There are nine games in the Division 3, Round 1, pgn that end in mate. Was one of them really an illegal move?
Keep searching. :wink:

The game we inputted did not feature the move giving mate, because you can't input illegal moves on ChessBase. So the game stops before the illegal move, and there's a note explaining what happened.

Although the move giving mate was illegal, and thus it wasn't checkmate, the player was deemed to have "resigned" because he'd already signed the scoresheet with a result on it when a spectator pointed it out.
No explanatory note in the file I downloaded.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8891
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:52 pm

Richard Bates wrote:You're missing about 30 moves from my Round 2 game. Stopped 2 moves after i finally threw away the draw, but missing 20odd moves of how to win with K+Q vs K+R...
That's because you were on a live board, and we got the game from there. The liveboards missing moves at ends of games is not uncommon. This is something we should perhaps be more vigilant with in future.

If you wish to e-mail me the moves, I'll happily add them to the game. Or we can get them from the scoresheet...

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8891
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:No explanatory note in the file I downloaded.
I think I know what happened there; the game got put in the wrong game if that makes sense. I think during the process of copying and pasting, the note got lost. I remember Rob writing it...

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll re-add the note!

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7277
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:(3) Playing illegal moves is bad, and makes our lives awkward. Even if they deliver checkmate... (see Div 3 R1)
Many thanks to you and all who inputted the games, but for my peace of mind can you say what this bit is referring to? There are nine games in the Division 3, Round 1, pgn that end in mate. Was one of them really an illegal move?
Keep searching. :wink:

The game we inputted did not feature the move giving mate, because you can't input illegal moves on ChessBase. So the game stops before the illegal move, and there's a note explaining what happened.

Although the move giving mate was illegal, and thus it wasn't checkmate, the player was deemed to have "resigned" because he'd already signed the scoresheet with a result on it when a spectator pointed it out.
Still can't find the game or the note you refer to. Maybe this is because I'm looking through the pgn file using notepad, rather than Chessbase or a pgn reader. Maybe the note is in some database field that only Chessbase or similar programs recognise?

Talking of which, it is slightly disconcerting to deliver an unexpected checkmate. I've twice had to do this recently when my opponent has allowed a mate in one without realising it, and my initial thought each time was to think "surely not - have I missed something?". I'm never sure whether to deliver the mate and state "checkmate", or wait for them to resign. Each time I've played the checkmating move, and not pressed the clock (as the game is now over), and waited for my opponent to respond (usually with shock and horror).

I've come to the conclusion it is best to play the mate, press the clock, and wait, though pressing the clock can cause confusion as the opponent can think you don't realise it is mate, but stopping the clock can be a bit presumptuous, and not pressing the clock at all can also cause confusion. Not really sure what role arbiters would play here, if any.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7277
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:No explanatory note in the file I downloaded.
Me neither, though I did spot your R1 game, Sean... :o

[Does pointing this out get me banned again? :D ]

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8891
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Richard's game has been finished, and a note in the other game are in new versions of the files sent to the webmaster.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8891
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Me neither, though I did spot your R1 game, Sean... :o
Sean is, of course, a fellow member of the game-inputters union. :wink:

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7277
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Me neither, though I did spot your R1 game, Sean... :o
Sean is, of course, a fellow member of the game-inputters union. :wink:
I'm confused now. Is that game real or cut short or what? I didn't play through it (even mentally), I just noted an 11-move game played by someone whose name I recognised. Though, really, the short game a number of people were talking about was the 16-move win by Gawain Jones. What was going on there?

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8891
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Me neither, though I did spot your R1 game, Sean... :o
Sean is, of course, a fellow member of the game-inputters union. :wink:
I'm confused now. Is that game real or cut short or what? I didn't play through it (even mentally), I just noted an 11-move game played by someone whose name I recognised.
It was a full-length game.

The point I was badly getting across is that Sean also does inputting at e2e4 events. Every game-inputter's favourite type of game is a short game. (Or at least, they tend not to enjoy long games!) A game-inputter playing a short game himself, therefore, had a touch of irony about it.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Though, really, the short game a number of people were talking about was the 16-move win by Gawain Jones. What was going on there?
I looked at the game this morning, and I had no idea. If I were watching it live, my first thought would have been to check that the live boards weren't malfunctioning!

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18057
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 am

It's not up yet, but anyone wishing to revisit the historical and theoretical background to secondary schools' chess should check out Mike Yeo's game from division 3 round 2.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8891
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:39 am

The games from the weekend are now up in their entirity. :)

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:57 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:It's not up yet, but anyone wishing to revisit the historical and theoretical background to secondary schools' chess should check out Mike Yeo's game from division 3 round 2.
That one reminded me of a London League game I played once which started 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 d5 5. exd5 Nxd5 6. Nxf7 Kxf7 7. Qf3+ Qf6 8. Bxd5+ Ke8 9. Bxc6+ Qxf3 9. Bxf3.

Around about move 15 I realised that 9. ... Qxf3 had been illegal and we had to go back to that position, leaving me a mere pawn up instead of a knight and a pawn, which I eventually managed to convert.

Sean Hewitt

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:09 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Me neither, though I did spot your R1 game, Sean... :o
Sean is, of course, a fellow member of the game-inputters union. :wink:
I'm confused now. Is that game real or cut short or what? I didn't play through it (even mentally), I just noted an 11-move game played by someone whose name I recognised.
Sadly, it was real :oops:

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Corrections to the Div 1 round 1 games have been made.
Attachments
4NCL-div1a-rnd1.pgn
(24.69 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
4NCL-div1b-rnd1.pgn
(24.66 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

Post Reply