Well done Yorkshire!

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mark Howitt

Well done Yorkshire!

Post by Mark Howitt » Sat May 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Glad to be the first here to congratulate Yorkshire on their win over Guildford. This is the most impressive win by a Yorkshire team I've ever seen I think- and they've won it even with one match to go- they are two points ahead. And the good thing is this is a real Yorkshire team- funded by Yorkshire and keeping Yorkshire players as its base. The fact that it's beaten so many teams of mercenary players is a credit to the county.

Yorkshire- not good at paying chess tax but good at chess!

Matthew Turner

Re: Well done Yorkshire!

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun May 06, 2012 10:50 am

More good news for Yorkshire - Richard Palliser made a GM norm

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun May 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Yorkshire is much bigger than Guildford so I'm not surprised they won that encounter.
Congratulations to Mr P on his norm.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun May 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Erm yeah, but if you're talking about 'catchment areas' if you're going as far as Australia that's pretty big! Guildford have massively outspent White Rose over many seasons.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun May 06, 2012 6:09 pm

I'd like to see some updated results too please!

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun May 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Erm yeah, but if you're talking about 'catchment areas' if you're going as far as Australia that's pretty big! Guildford have massively outspent White Rose over many seasons.
Be fair; Smerdon, is, I think, the one member of the team playing this weekend who currently lives in England. :)

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun May 06, 2012 7:00 pm

It seems like he's living in a different country every month! He was in Holland a few weeks ago... nice guy.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Can someone at least post the Yorkshire results or all of them soon :)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun May 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:It seems like he's living in a different country every month! He was in Holland a few weeks ago... nice guy.
I didn't know that. Maybe he is still living in Holland.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun May 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Erm yeah, but if you're talking about 'catchment areas' if you're going as far as Australia that's pretty big! Guildford have massively outspent White Rose over many seasons.
If you want to discuss catchment areas, could you remind me where Iain Gourlay, Colin McNab, Peter Wells and Nic Croad live would you? :oops:

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon May 07, 2012 1:02 am

Yep but they're practically the only players outside the whole main White Rose 1 and 2 squad who don't live in Yorkshire. I think you might be a bit bitter because e2e4 lost to them today but never mind :).

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon May 07, 2012 1:35 am

So the Shire have joined with Middle Earth in chess. I see that in cricket they joined up with Oz quite some time ago.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 am

Mark Howitt wrote:Yep but they're practically the only players outside the whole main White Rose 1 and 2 squad who don't live in Yorkshire. I think you might be a bit bitter because e2e4 lost to them today but never mind :).
Actually, given the limit of e2e4's ambition was probably to avoid relegation from Division One, Sean probably hasn't cared very much about any of e2e4 1's results since round 7, when they qualified for the Championship pool. :)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon May 07, 2012 9:31 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Actually, given the limit of e2e4's ambition was probably to avoid relegation from Division One, Sean probably hasn't cared very much about any of e2e4 1's results since round 7, when they qualified for the Championship pool. :)
As a comparison of the teams fielded pre and post R7 would attest. This weekend, the 2nd team results are far more important!

The White Rose lads are all really good guys. They know I'm not having a go at them. It's out good friend Mr H and his stupid remarks about Guildford that I am having a go at :lol:

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon May 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Haven't made any stupid remarks about Guildford though have I- the use of the word 'mercenary' was a bit strong perhaps, but that was just how I was feeling in the moment (everyone knows chess players do it mainly for the love of the game). The reason I posted was because Yorkshire beat such a strong team!