ECF Membership

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Sean Hewitt

ECF Membership

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon May 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Is it a requirement to be an ECF member to play in the 4NCL if you are ENG?

And if so, what would be the penalties for playing an ENG player who was not a member?

:D :D :D

Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF Membership

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Is it a requirement to be an ECF member to play in the 4NCL if you are ENG?

And if so, what would be the penalties for playing an ENG player who was not a member?
I thought this was established in the 2010-11 season. The 4NCL rules allow a weekend's grace without joining the ECF. However if you already have an inactive rating, then re-activating it with even the one game will trigger the ECF to write to FIDE asking them to suspend your rating, thereby giving the impression to the world that you were some form of cheat.

That's not to say the policy hasn't changed - the answers to the question " do you need to be an ECF member to take part in a FIDE rated Rapid-play " vary with who is answering.

The weekend's grace rule was also in the proposals that the October Council meeting voted for.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Is it a requirement to be an ECF member to play in the 4NCL if you are ENG?

:D :D :D
I would have thought that you of all people would be familiar with the regulations on this.

And I'm puzzled by the :D :D :D

Has something happened recently to prompt your question?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 22, 2012 1:09 am

David Sedgwick wrote: And I'm puzzled by the :D :D :D

Has something happened recently to prompt your question?
The Somerset Scotsman continued to play, possibly after his membership had lapsed. But that was the 2010-11 season.

There's an interesting question. It's proposed, I think, that you will need ECF membership to be permitted to play in the final stages of the 2012-13 (edit) Counties Championship (/edit). So presumably Scottish and Welsh (titled) players are excluded unless they are ECF members as well.