Wood Green

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mick Norris

Re: Wood Green

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm

John Upham wrote:They are allegedly being flown over for the match from Norway.

Note that the pilot has also been registered!
John Travolta?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:09 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
John Upham wrote:They are allegedly being flown over for the match from Norway.

Note that the pilot has also been registered!
John Travolta?
Surely Bruce Dickinson!?

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Neil Graham wrote:Possibly Luis Suarez - he's not likely to be doing much over the weekend - add some bite to the middle order. :roll:
haha :)
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 pm

A lot of Wood Green's players are at Zug or Alekhine Memorial. Is it likely that they would want to play in the 4NCL so soon after the conclusion of these tough events?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:A lot of Wood Green's players are at Zug or Alekhine Memorial. Is it likely that they would want to play in the 4NCL so soon after the conclusion of these tough events?
Zug finishes on Tuesday

Alekhine on Wednesday

Some of us won't finish until Friday, or even Saturday morning :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 am

I have no idea why Wood Green has registered all these players, but wouldn't it be marvellous if they all turned up and played - lets hope so. I appreciate my team isn't playing against Wood Green next weekend, but my view would be exactly the same if they were. I'm sure the vast majority of chessplayers would feel the same. I think we should be really grateful to the managers and captains who have got the top, top players to compete in the 4NCL.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:38 am

Matthew Turner wrote:I have no idea why Wood Green has registered all these players, but wouldn't it be marvellous if they all turned up and played - lets hope so. I appreciate my team isn't playing against Wood Green next weekend, but my view would be exactly the same if they were. I'm sure the vast majority of chessplayers would feel the same. I think we should be really grateful to the managers and captains who have got the top, top players to compete in the 4NCL.
I agree entirely. The irony is that, if this were a local league, the AGM would soon be awash with chess prevention motions to stop it happening again. One of the big advantages with the 4NCL is that that can't happen!

Eric Gardiner

Post by Eric Gardiner » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
2.2 A player who has not given explicit consent will be considered to be validly registered for the team including him/her on its registration list, but until he/she has played for the team he/she remains free to play for other teams subject to the requirements of sections 3 and 4 of these rules.
Does this mean that players' names can be included on a registration list without their consent? Could a Div 1 team or even a Div 3 team for example put down Magnus Carlsen's name as a new registration without his consent?

If these top GMs are really going to play, then one positive aspect is that it should lead to increased media coverage of the weekend :!: We might all be asked to wear suits :)

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:04 pm

If Abramovich could be convinced to chuck some change at a Chelsea Chess Club then the cosy cartel could be challenged.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Does the fact that Carlsen ISN'T registered suggest he is looking forward to experiencing the delights of Hinckley Island? Or he is just the only one who attaches importance to what his name is used for?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:32 pm

David Robertson wrote:I find it very disspiriting. What level of egoism and personality disorder is required to resort to such nonsense? Where is the pleasure in a title won by such means?
I think the person/organisation providing the cash must get pleasure out of it, otherwise why would they do it? Why they enjoy it is a different question which I can't think of a good answer to.
David Robertson wrote:And of the players displaced, what do they say?
Goodbye, I won't be playing for you next season, I should think.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Does the fact that Carlsen ISN'T registered suggest he is looking forward to experiencing the delights of Hinckley Island? Or he is just the only one who attaches importance to what his name is used for?
He's probably the wildcard :wink:

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
David Robertson wrote:I find it very disspiriting. What level of egoism and personality disorder is required to resort to such nonsense? Where is the pleasure in a title won by such means?
I think the person/organisation providing the cash must get pleasure out of it, otherwise why would they do it? Why they enjoy it is a different question which I can't think of a good answer to.
Given that they are virtually all professionals and are unlikely to attract a better deal elsewhere I would be surprised if any of the regulars left. They certainly didn't when Wood Green fielded a team of seven women plus Shirov.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:48 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote:
Given that they are virtually all professionals and are unlikely to attract a better deal elsewhere I would be surprised if any of the regulars left. They certainly didn't when Wood Green fielded a team of seven women plus Shirov.
I was thinking of Guildford, where enthusiastic amateurs definitely have been displaced by paid players and no longer play for Guildford.