Reporting of 4NCL in the media

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
JustinHorton

Re: Reporting of 4NCL in the media

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:57 pm

That would depend on the odds available, would it not?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:48 pm

JustinHorton wrote:That would depend on the odds available, would it not?
Well, I suppose I meant that Woods is the favourite going into the 2010 Open, just as he would be at any tournament he enters. If you look at the winners of recent Opens at The Old Course, the winners are: 1970 Jack Nicklaus, 1978 Jack Nicklaus, 1984 Seve Ballesteros, 1990 Nick Faldo, 1995 John Daly, 2000 Tiger Woods, 2005 Tiger Woods. You tend not to get Todd Hamilton or Ben Curtis winners when it's played at St. Andrews. Woods is the strong favourite.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:01 pm

It would be worth checking out what the weather may be like.
He plays like a dope when it's wet and windy.
You will get good odds on him not making the cut.

Anyway this is a chess forum. Why are we talking about stupid golf?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Arkell-Storey 0-1 in today's Sunday Telegraph... ;)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:16 pm

oh, and in Adams' column on the British a couple of weeks back, we saw the finish to Hawkins v Arkell!

Who writes in the Sunday Telegraph now?

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:Here is Arkell's challenge: Can anyone find any game,published in the Times or the Telegraph this Century,in which I scored more than 0 :?:
In today's Telegraph there are extracts from two of Keith's wins. Presumably they will appear on Michael Adams's Internet site.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:12 pm

:D :D This is becoming London busesville! Malc put the same game(v Julian Hodgson) in his column today.Funny really - I played it 15 years ago at the surrey Easter tournament,and within the space of a few days it has appeared in 3 different places(beginning with the excellent Streatham @ Brixton interview with Simon Williams).I know for certin that Mickey and Simon didn't know of each other's intentions! :lol:

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:13 pm

:D :D This is becoming London busesville! Malc put the same game(v Julian Hodgson) in his column today.Funny really - I played it 15 years ago at the surrey Easter tournament,and within the space of a few days it has appeared in 3 different places(beginning with the excellent Streatham @ Brixton interview with Simon Williams).I know for certain that Mickey and Simon didn't know of each other's intentions! :lol:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:16 pm

So excited, it's posted twice....
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:09 pm

I was told a story recently about the time Rugby won the National Club Championship, in the days when it was England's nomination for the European Club Championship. The story went that Rugby, who had a 15-year-old Keith Arkell in their team amongst others, drew Moscow away in the first round. They arrived at the venue, to discover they played in front of an audience. Everybody lost ... except for Keith, who won cheers from the crowd as the underdog for winning against some GM. So while not in print, at least the story involved Keith being the unlikely hero, rather than losing!

Of course this might be exaggerated, I don't know...

History did not record whether they had to return to Moscow within 21 days for the adjourned session. :)

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:40 pm

Alex.
I played board 2 in the team which played Moscow away in a double round match all those years ago. Keith was not 15 more like about 22ish. He did win against the immensly talented Lev Psahkis but I don't remember any audience (cheering or silent). More interesting was the quick draw by Andrew Talbot against the potentially equally (to Psahkis) talented Salov on board 6. the story goes that Salov offered a draw as black in a fairly equal position because he thought Andrew Talbot was in fact Sean Talbot and therefore worthy of his strategy of getting a draw with black and trying for a win with white. Actually Andrew was at the time a young lad (about 13 or 14) who was graded about 130 - 140ish I think!! :lol: Keith will probably remember the details better than me...

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Nick Thomas wrote: was in fact Sean Talbot
It is Shaun M. Taulbut
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Gosh how important to the story. Apologies to Shaun M. Talbot and for all other errors in my rushed post...

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:38 pm

I can believe that story - not only because there are a number of such stories of Russians taking their satisfaction with draws with black to laughable extremes, but rather because I can imagine that Salov would have heard of Taulbot, who wrote a book in the early 80s (I think) on the Bogo-Indian, which Salov used to play in his later years and presumably had played in his earlier years too.

I was thinking about Salov the other day, in fact. Whatever happened to him? I cannot think of a game by him in the last twelve or so years.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:52 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: I was thinking about Salov the other day, in fact. Whatever happened to him? I cannot think of a game by him in the last twelve or so years.
His most recent games in MegaBase 10 are from March, 1999 : who knows his reason(s) for quitting?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D