Reporting of 4NCL in the media

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: Reporting of 4NCL in the media

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 pm

Thanks John

I hadn't expected to feature in the blogspot, at least not while still alive, but of course feel very happy to join the ranks of famous actresses, and the Farce Brothers...

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon May 11, 2009 12:00 am

You're right Jonathan. My loss to Terence Chapman was indeed spectacular! And it was almost certainly my best quality loss ever to a much lower rated opponent,and is compounded by the fact that it was my first loss in the 4NCL since losing to GM Turner in March 2006,and my first loss in any team event in 46 games.Ironically Jonathan you were the last none-GM to beat me in a team event when you made a similarly speclative piece sac to duff me up 4 years ago!

This sacrifice of Terence withstood a fairly prolonged post mortem,and I have already asked Malcolm Pein if he would like me to annotate it for CHESS magazine.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon May 11, 2009 1:51 pm

I hadn't forgotten :wink:

Actually, have not the majority of your 4NCL losses been played in the second division (Terry Chapman, Richard Jones, myself, Tony Hynes ...!) Though admittedly all against players who could expect to play in the first division (at least occasionally)?

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon May 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Well spotted :oops: In that case :idea: I'd better try to help steer my club Cheddleton into the 1st division next season :wink:

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon May 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:This sacrifice of Terence withstood a fairly prolonged post mortem,and I have already asked Malcolm Pein if he would like me to annotate it for CHESS magazine.
Do I detect a touch of irony in this sentence?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon May 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Well I don't (I have the benefit of having been present at part of the said post mortem).

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon May 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Well I don't (I have the benefit of having been present at part of the said post mortem).
I didn't intend to cast any aspersions about the quality of the game. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'd better leave it there.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu May 14, 2009 8:30 pm

No irony intended David,but I know where you're coming from :lol:

I just thought it would be therapeutic and good discipline to force myself to annotate the game

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Tue May 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Perhaps the real irony(or poignancy?) is that I haven't received a reply from Malcolm,with the implication that he also saw sarcasm where no sarcasm was intended!

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu May 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Behold! The game was in the Times a few days ago,as a companion to my only loss at Southend last month :twisted:

Here is Arkell's challenge: Can anyone find any game,published in the Times or the Telegraph this Century,in which I scored more than 0 :?:
Anyone who relies exclusively on these columns for their chess news must think I'm a veritable losing machine!
Actually in reality I lose about 5% of my games,but in the words of Oscar Wilde ''There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about,and that is not being talked about'' :lol:

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Thu May 28, 2009 6:52 pm

It's so rare that its incredibly newsworthy when it happens :)

I certainly recall one of your wins in the Telegraph as recently as eight years ago ! (Hodgson-Arkell, Newcastle 2001)

Incidentally knowing Malcolm he probably thinks he has already agreed to publish your annotations and is wondering why you haven't sent it yet !

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu May 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:Behold! The game was in the Times a few days ago,as a companion to my only loss at Southend last month :twisted:

Here is Arkell's challenge: Can anyone find any game,published in the Times or the Telegraph this Century,in which I scored more than 0 :?:
Anyone who relies exclusively on these columns for their chess news must think I'm a veritable losing machine!
Actually in reality I lose about 5% of my games,but in the words of Oscar Wilde ''There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about,and that is not being talked about'' :lol:
Does the Financial Times count? :D

I've got a vague recollection that Leonard published a draw of yours about a month ago. Was in Ne8 or something like that? I should remember it better. It is the only FT chess problem I've ever solved completely in two seconds flat.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri May 29, 2009 9:42 am

Im with Keith here!, pay some respect to the mans chess, this isnt the betfair forum :wink:

National press I've got a few Atomrod 5-min games I want published V myself :P

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri May 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Keith, surely your win v Gawain at the British last year was published? only decisive game at the top in the last round .....

or did the report just say that you improved on your loss to Ivanchuk, and give that game instead? :lol:

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Surely youd be 2600 keith if you didnt play the caro :P!

Why do you do it :lol:
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.