4NCL North 2015-16

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mick Norris

4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Mike has emailed the captains to say it will be Crewe and Wakefield next season, subject to signing the contracts

The former, where we played in the first couple of seasons, was I think The Prof's favourite playing venue, and I would be happy to see us back there

The latter, I gather, had good feedback from the recent 4NCL congress

Big thanks to Mike, as always, for all his hard work, I know securing us new venues for the forthcoming season has been hard work for him, and I really appreciate his support over the last few years

Positive comments (and restaurant recommendations) very welcome :wink:
Next season sees the introduction of the new Division 4 South, and I set out below the intended arrangements:

1. Division 3 South will comprise 16 teams and follow the format already in place for Divisions 1 and 2. Division 3 North will remain a Swiss for next season.

2. Teams in both Division 3 South and Division 3 North will continue to comprise six players and be free to field players regardless of gender or age (in other words, rule 7.3 will continue to apply).

3. Division 3 South will comprise the following teams: BCM Dragons; Rhyfelwyr Essyllwg 1; MK Phoenix 1; Wessex; Surbiton 1; Midland Monarchs 1; Fermented Sharks; Broadland Bitterns; Anglian Avengers 2; Leeds University Old Boys; Poisoned Pawns; Ashfield-Breadsall; Shropshire; Warwickshire Select 2; BCM Rhinos; Guildford 4. The other teams in this season’s Division 3 South will form the new Division 4 South.

4. Two teams from each of Division 3 South and Division 3 North will be promoted to Division 2 at the end of next season, with four teams relegated from Division 2. At least two teams will be guaranteed promotion from Division 4 South to Division 3 South for the 2016/2017 season, with up to a maximum of six promoted teams depending on the geographical mix of teams relegated from Division 2. The attached spreadsheet summarises the intended arrangements.

5. Divisions 3 South and 4 South will be playing at Park Inn Telford. Bedroom booking arrangements are shown on the “Hotels 2015-2016” section of the 4NCL website.

6. Division 3 North venues are (subject to signing contracts):

(a) 14-15 November 2015: Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
(b) 16-17 January 2016: De Vere Wychwood Park
(c) 13-14 February 2016: Cedar Court Wakefield
(d) 19-20 March 2016: Cedar Court Wakefield
(e) 30 April-2 May 2016: De Vere Wychwood Park.

Bedroom booking arrangements for Cedar Court Wakefield and Park Inn Telford will follow shortly.

Mike
Attachments
PROMOTION RELEGATION 2015-2016.xls
(29 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue May 12, 2015 9:16 pm

Well that solves any moaning about Telford being closer to Cheddleton/Holmes Chapel etc than many of the 3N venues :)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Bedroom booking arrangements for Cedar Court Wakefield and Park Inn Telford will follow shortly.

http://www.4ncl.co.uk/hotels.htm

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 12, 2015 9:43 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Well that solves any moaning about Telford being closer to Cheddleton/Holmes Chapel etc than many of the 3N venues :)
More importantly, 2 venues an hour from Bolton :wink:

Better for most of the teams, but worse for the North East of course which is a pity, and even further for the Scots to travel

Hopefully, a couple of the Midlands Div 4 teams may decide that Wakefield and Crewe are worth trying rather than Telford

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu May 14, 2015 5:21 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Bedroom booking arrangements for Cedar Court Wakefield and Park Inn Telford will follow shortly.

http://www.4ncl.co.uk/hotels.htm
Some more info about Telford from an e-mail exchange today:

We do not offer any triple rooms I'm afraid.

There are rates for the chess event.

£50 Bed & Breakfast Single Occupancy
£60 Bed & Breakfast Double Occupancy.

We only have 1 family room in the hotel, so this all depends if it is available upon booking. We also have interconnecting rooms.

Please call reservations on 01952 429988 for any bookings and further information.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu May 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks Lawrence. I've been working on separate fact sheets for all the four venues that we will be using next season, and am hoping that these will be up on the 4NCL website shortly.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu May 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Mike has emailed the captains to say it will be Crewe and Wakefield next season, subject to signing the contracts. The former, where we played in the first couple of seasons, was I think The Prof's favourite playing venue, and I would be happy to see us back there

Division 3 North venues are (subject to signing contracts):

(a) 14-15 November 2015: Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
(b) 16-17 January 2016: De Vere Wychwood Park
(c) 13-14 February 2016: Cedar Court Wakefield
(d) 19-20 March 2016: Cedar Court Wakefield
(e) 30 April-2 May 2016: De Vere Wychwood Park
Wychwood Park was indeed my favourite playing venue. The upstairs room is only so-so. But the main room downstairs is unsurpassable; absolutely ideal. I'm delighted Mike has brought that venue back into play. If Wakefield is as good as I'm told, then 3N teams are in for a treat. Indeed, I'm envious: 3N remains my spiritual home, notwithstanding my gradus ad Parnassum elsewhere next season :)

One further benefit of Wychwood Park, to Spirit of Atticus anyway, is that I'm already making plans for A & B get-togethers in the Cannock/Lichfield area. The motorway network makes this a viable prospect.

And I'm delighted 'Team Scotland' has entered. They should be welcomed with applause!

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu May 14, 2015 11:20 pm

If Wakefield is as good as I'm told, then 3N teams are in for a treat.
I fear my other commitments have not allowed me the time to research the various Michelin-starred establishments nearby. But I look forward to favourable reports. :D :D :D

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri May 15, 2015 8:59 am

As I said in my opening post, restaurant recommendations (for both Wychwood and Wakefield) welcome :D

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri May 15, 2015 10:28 am

I`m wondering where the Scots team are centred....if its say, Peebles on the Scottish borders, that's a 4.5 hour, 220 mile journey..to Wakefield
A fair bit of driving...or maybe a train trip.

However, the Wakefield venue does look good on the photos, so well done to Mike on securing 3 visits to that establishment.
I had thought that Redworth Hall, Buxton Palace, or Potts Shrigley might figure somewhere, but our De Veres at Crewe is fine, with some reasonable country pubs nearby for refreshments..
If Puma (as was) have shot themselves in the foot over this, then its disappointing, but no doubt the venues issue will be reviewed as things progress.

Looking South..anyone from the Canterbury area travelling to Telford has a similar trip, distance wise...and nearly 4 hours on the road..

What we chess players do to enjoy a weekends friendly rivalry ...!!
BRING BACK THE BCF

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri May 15, 2015 7:36 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Looking South..anyone from the Canterbury area travelling to Telford has a similar trip, distance wise...and nearly 4 hours on the road..

What we chess players do to enjoy a weekends friendly rivalry ...!!
It remains to be seen how many current Division 3 teams drop-out next season as a result of an extra 75 miles each way on their journeys.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat May 16, 2015 10:46 am

Not many Div3S/or4 players it seems looking to extra travel time & costs. Expect numbers to drop.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat May 16, 2015 11:17 am

They`ve done Telford before, so in these moments of transission, I hope that teams will support the movement.
Meanwhile, I`d be in favour of a North & South steering committee(s) to assist in the planning and support for this enterprise.
One of the item agendas could be potential future venues, and I`m sure 4NCL would welcome any constructive suggestions.
For me, in the South, I`d go for venues near Oxford, Reading/London, and maybe Gloucester/Worcester areas...or even Birmingham.
A good mix would be welcome, but I`m sure others will have there views.
If Puma (as was) can come to there senses and offer some deals, that might help...
As for the North...I`m hoping that they will see greater numbers of teams entering, and one North East venue, around Durham perhaps, might not go amiss...but the present arrangements are not all bad, by any means..
If at some future point, a return to a grand Finals w/e could be mustered, then so much the better.
I hope that team captains will get together and mull over the possibilities. I`m sure they will...and team members might have some input.
BRING BACK THE BCF

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Division 3N is shaping up nicely already.

Fourteen teams currently listed. Two new entrants: 3Cs 2; and Spirit of Atticus C. Two others still to come? (Team Scotland; and IoM). And more yet?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:09 pm

I had heard about 3Cs 2, very welcome, and good to see SoA C as well - the Scottish and Manx teams will be very welcome too

I think there will be 3 Manticore teams, our squad having lost some players and gained others

16 teams would be great (up from 13 last year) and an even number of teams would be ideal