4NCL North 2015-16

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
David Pardoe

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Some very close matches this w/e at The Ceder Court.. A very pleasant venue, good playing conditions...and the fun trip over the Woodhead Pass made it a good day out for me on Saturday.
Unfortunately Cheddleton struggled to get out full teams.. could be calls from other quarters.
Good to see the Manxmen back in action, after a hitch last time...
Everything is set for some tough battles in the final weekend.. Broadlands could still have a chance, but Bradford and Mancx 1 will be hard to stop.
I guess those set to face Alba will need to find some inspiration if they are to take points..
I`m hoping we get more new teams next season for the 4NCL `North`, to help drive forward this league, which provides some really good chess playing opportunites.
It would be great if the North East could send a team or two.. The Wakefield venue is fine and lays just off the M1 south of Wakefield...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:20 pm

David Pardoe wrote: It would be great if the North East could send a team or two.. The Wakefield venue is fine and lays just off the M1 south of Wakefield...
They're doing pretty well in Division 2 at the moment!

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:31 am

That's been part of Div 3N's problem with numbers - all these teams getting promoted and no one coming back again :) Alba quite possibly in line to join that list.

Not surprised we lost NE2 this season - they lose 2 players to NE1 right away. Also Telford is quite a long way to come from the further parts of the NE, especially given that they'd probably have been getting a bit battered in a lot of their matches. The majority of the teams are playing right down to 160(+) on board 6 now.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:08 am

I think how many teams are in Div 3 N next season depends on where Div 3 S and Div 4 are located - if we stay at Crewe & Wakefield, and they move south, then we might get Midlands teams moving to Div 3 N, where they would be very welcome
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:06 pm

Mick Norris wrote:I think how many teams are in Div 3 N next season depends on where Div 3 S and Div 4 are located - if we stay at Crewe & Wakefield, and they move south, then we might get Midlands teams moving to Div 3 N, where they would be very welcome
It could be a choice between Wakefield or Wokefield then :lol:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:18 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:I think how many teams are in Div 3 N next season depends on where Div 3 S and Div 4 are located - if we stay at Crewe & Wakefield, and they move south, then we might get Midlands teams moving to Div 3 N, where they would be very welcome
It could be a choice between Wakefield or Wokefield then :lol:
Easy choice of Wakefield then :D

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:00 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:Think results (and teams) today make MM1 non trivial favorites for the second promotion spot. Bradford really need to win that head to head, and MM1 look definitely stronger to me.
I think it is likely to come down to who gets the strongest team out on the day

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:24 am

Mick Norris wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:Think results (and teams) today make MM1 non trivial favorites for the second promotion spot. Bradford really need to win that head to head, and MM1 look definitely stronger to me.
In case my teams do venture up north have the terms MM1 & MM2 already been copyrighted by the Manchester version? :?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:36 am

I had a long and convivial chat, Saturday night, with Alba's (Dr) David Findlay (yes, he's heard all the jokes!). Alba are ambitious in a good way. They are already thinking about next year's squad, actively expecting other Scots currently elsewhere in the 4NCL to gather round their flag. I asked, under raised eyebrows, what Elo would then be their 'weakest' squad member. The answer? "2150". So they'll be a very significant force in Div 2. And potentially, a stable presence in Div 1 thereafter, especially if they succeed in attracting their native GMs to the cause. A good bunch of blokes. Not just blokes of course - (Dr) Elaine Bamber joined us at one point.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:36 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
In case my teams do venture up north have the terms MM1 & MM2 already been copyrighted by the Manchester version? :?
Not deliberately, we can always change :wink:

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
You could definitely logically put an L in the name :) Might involve them admitting you exist first though!

Sounds like good news about Alba.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:31 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
You could definitely logically put an L in the name :) Might involve them admitting you exist first though!

Sounds like good news about Alba.
Make more sense to put a G before the first M

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:33 pm

David Robertson wrote:I had a long and convivial chat, Saturday night, with Alba's (Dr) David Findlay (yes, he's heard all the jokes!). Alba are ambitious in a good way. They are already thinking about next year's squad, actively expecting other Scots currently elsewhere in the 4NCL to gather round their flag. I asked, under raised eyebrows, what Elo would then be their 'weakest' squad member. The answer? "2150". So they'll be a very significant force in Div 2. And potentially, a stable presence in Div 1 thereafter, especially if they succeed in attracting their native GMs to the cause. A good bunch of blokes. Not just blokes of course - (Dr) Elaine Bamber joined us at one point.
Enough of a squad to put a second team in Div 3 North to replace the first team?

We will be trying to work out if we can add MM4, although discussions on that will have to wait until after the final weekend

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Enough of a squad to put a second team in Div 3 North to replace the first team?
This didn't arise. But I gained the impression Alba were just passing through: they have 'eyes on the prize', so to speak. It must be said also that getting one team to North England is a logistics challenge for them. Next year, they plan to fly into Birmingham from Edinburgh where they are based for the most part. This year, they drove down on Saturday morning for the first weekend, but that proved too demanding. So thereafter they have come a day early. Hence, I very much doubt they'll bring forward a second team for 2016-17

While I'm on the subject, I asked the Ravens about their travel arrangements. They fly into Liverpool; then drive. And why the no-show for weekend 3? Too few available to play, apparently. Again, a pleasant group of guys. But without wishing the outcome, I wonder how sustainable their set-up really is.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:06 pm

I guess it depends how the Manx players see it i.e. have they enjoyed it, is it worth the effort/expense, are there other players they could get to expand their squad?

Interesting about Alba, thanks, we wish them well in their progress (winning their 3 remaining matches would be handy, too)

I suppose it is a bit early to be worrying about next season's numbers, though i guess that will depend on the venues for Divs 1,2, 3S and 4