4NCL North 2015-16

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18046
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:48 am

Alan Walton wrote: For anybody commuting to Wokefield will find it a nightmare to get to on public transport, miles from civilization
There's Mortimer station served by local trains on the line from Reading to Basingstoke. That's 1.8 miles away according to a route planner. It's down a country lane and I would not expect to see a taxi at Mortimer unless pre-booked.

Car driving players living in more southern parts of England would find it satisfactory.

Alan Walton
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:20 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alan Walton wrote: For anybody commuting to Wokefield will find it a nightmare to get to on public transport, miles from civilization
There's Mortimer station served by local trains on the line from Reading to Basingstoke. That's 1.8 miles away according to a route planner. It's down a country lane and I would not expect to see a taxi at Mortimer unless pre-booked.

Car driving players living in more southern parts of England would find it satisfactory.
Roger, I agree that Mortimer station is nearby but historically I know people who have got the train there and found it extremely difficult to get a taxi, they tried the walk but found it extremely dangerous due to the country lanes (especially at night)

Of course car drivers in the south will find it satisfactorily, that's not the point though it is unfair for a high volume of northern players having to travel such distances, and most likely require additional expense by staying the extra night and possible the taxi journey from Reading

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18046
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:25 am

Alan Walton wrote: it is unfair for a high volume of northern players having to travel such distances, and most likely require additional expense by staying the extra night and possible the taxi journey from Reading
Much the same applies to Telford for players based on the south coast or in the south west. The Telford hotel is next to no distance from the railway station, which helps.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5038
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:25 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Might need to review my comments on Alba's prospects and travel plans in the light of imminent announcements. Not just Alba's either :shock:
Yes, just seen the details :shock:
I haven't. What am I missing?
The e-mail attachment is marked "Private and Confidential" so I suspect that Mike doesn't want the venue and dates in the public domain yet. To give you a rough idea though, split venues will be in operation in every division. For 1&2 this means one Midlands venue, two in the south and two roughly between the Midlands and South. For 3&4 this means two weekends in the Midlands, two in the South and one roughly in between the Midlands/South.
The North and J4NCL alternate between two venues with the juniors havin g one in the south and two roughly between Midlands/South.
Last edited by LawrenceCooper on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18046
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:32 am

LawrenceCooper wrote: For 1&2 and 3&4 this means two weekends in the Midlands, two in the South and one roughly in between the Midlands/South.
Essentially the League is on tour, not for the first time in its existence. Match captains and managers have no doubt passed on the contents to their squads, so a fair number of people will already know the details.

Alan Walton
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:46 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alan Walton wrote: it is unfair for a high volume of northern players having to travel such distances, and most likely require additional expense by staying the extra night and possible the taxi journey from Reading
Much the same applies to Telford for players based on the south coast or in the south west. The Telford hotel is next to no distance from the railway station, which helps.
I agree Roger, but then why have two in Wokefield; splitting the pain would have been fairer, one weekend both at Wokefield and Telford would seem the best option

As Lawrence pointed out the 4 out of 5 weekends are pushing more south than north, so not truly a even basis for all participants

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5038
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:53 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alan Walton wrote: it is unfair for a high volume of northern players having to travel such distances, and most likely require additional expense by staying the extra night and possible the taxi journey from Reading
Much the same applies to Telford for players based on the south coast or in the south west. The Telford hotel is next to no distance from the railway station, which helps.
I agree Roger, but then why have two in Wokefield; splitting the pain would have been fairer, one weekend both at Wokefield and Telford would seem the best option

As Lawrence pointed out the 4 out of 5 weekends are pushing more south than north, so not truly a even basis for all participants
There is a certain irony to my failed promotion push from Division Three resulting in less driving south to Division Three South than to the central venue.

Mick Norris
Posts: 7413
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:57 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alan Walton wrote: For anybody commuting to Wokefield will find it a nightmare to get to on public transport, miles from civilization
There's Mortimer station served by local trains on the line from Reading to Basingstoke. That's 1.8 miles away according to a route planner. It's down a country lane and I would not expect to see a taxi at Mortimer unless pre-booked.

Car driving players living in more southern parts of England would find it satisfactory.
Where's the nearest Airport, is the question for Alba though?
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Alan Walton
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:02 am

Mick Norris wrote:Where's the nearest Airport, is the question for Alba though?
Most probably Heathrow, where there is a bus link to Reading (until the rail link is built), then as normal the taxi cost from Reading

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18046
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:32 am

Alan Walton wrote: Most probably Heathrow, where there is a bus link to Reading (until the rail link is built), then as normal the taxi cost from Reading
There are direct train services from Gatwick, Birmingham and Southampton as well to Reading. Heathrow is nearest. Reading itself is well connected, it's getting from the centre of Reading to a country house/golf course deep in the Berkshire countryside that's the problem.

David Robertson
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:24 pm
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by David Robertson » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:14 pm

Not just travelling distance/time either. The hotel booking arrangements are changing radically. Team captains may find themselves in a difficult place consequently.

I think there's a need for a specific thread here, hiving off recent posts, and allowing a sensible discussion of ways through this. I don't want to sound alarmist; but we are collectively facing non-trivial difficulties here with the draft arrangements

Mick Norris
Posts: 7413
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:38 pm

David Robertson wrote:Not just travelling distance/time either. The hotel booking arrangements are changing radically. Team captains may find themselves in a difficult place consequently.

I think there's a need for a specific thread here, hiving off recent posts, and allowing a sensible discussion of ways through this. I don't want to sound alarmist; but we are collectively facing non-trivial difficulties here with the draft arrangements
Agree with that, but need to wait until Mike goes public with the information only a few of us have yet seen
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris
Posts: 7413
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris
Posts: 7413
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:37 am

Back to the chess, here is where we start:

3 North pool C

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 GP Pts
1 Alba 4½-1½ 4½-1½ 3½-2 4½-1½ 17 8
2 Bradford DCA Knights A 4-2 3-3 3-3 4-2 14 6
3 Manchester Manticores 1 1½-4½ 3½-2½ 4-2 4½-1½ 13½ 6
4 Broadland Bitterns 2-4 4-2 3-3 3½-2½ 12½ 5
5 Spirit of Atticus B 1½-4½ 3-3 2½-3½ 4½-1½ 11½ 3
6 3Cs 2 3-3 2-4 2-4 3½-2½ 10½ 3
7 Cheddleton 2 2-3½ 2-4 3-3 2½-3½ 9½ 1
8 Manchester Manticores 2 1½-4½ 1½-4½ 2½-3½ 1½-4½ 7 0

Today's matches:
Manchester Manticores 2 - - - Bradford DCA Knights A
Spirit of Atticus B - - - Broadland Bitterns
Alba - - - 3Cs 2
Manchester Manticores 1 - - - Cheddleton 2

Good luck to both Manchester teams, wins for both today would be a great step forward
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris
Posts: 7413
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:40 am

Tomorrow we have:

Bradford DCA Knights A - - - Manchester Manticores 1
Broadland Bitterns - - - Alba
3Cs 2 - - - Spirit of Atticus B
Cheddleton 2 - - - Manchester Manticores 2

Monday:
Alba - - - Bradford DCA Knights A
Manchester Manticores 1 - - - Broadland Bitterns
Manchester Manticores 2 - - - 3Cs 2
Spirit of Atticus B - - - Cheddleton 2

I expect Alba to go up, the other promotion place will be tight
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Post Reply