4NCL North 2015-16

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4003
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:46 am

It's not reasonable to expect teams from the same squad to be kept apart in a Swiss of that size and length.

(And you could well end up with the situation late on in the tournament where either Bradford C has to play one of the other Bradford teams or Manchester C has to play one of the other Manchester teams.)

Mick Norris
Posts: 7785
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:53 am

I think the finishing order last year, which would presumably determine seedings, is as follows:

Ch 2, MM 2, SoA B, Br A, NE 2, HC, MM 1, Br B, Jor, MM 3, Br C, Ch 3

Teams to be added - 3Cs 2, IoM, Scotland, SoA C

On that basis, you might have MM 2 v MM 3 in round 1, and based on what Jack says, that might be best to be played, rather than the draw altered to avoid it (bit like the Pert v Pert situation in the British?)
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4003
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:00 am

Mick Norris wrote:I think the finishing order last year, which would presumably determine seedings, is as follows:

Ch 2, MM 2, SoA B, Br A, NE 2, HC, MM 1, Br B, Jor, MM 3, Br C, Ch 3
Yes, except that the precedent from previous seasons is that MM1 and MM2 would be swapped around for seeding purposes.

MartinCarpenter
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:44 am

Mick Norris wrote:On that basis, you might have MM 2 v MM 3 in round 1, and based on what Jack says, that might be best to be played, rather than the draw altered to avoid it
The thing to avoid is I'd think MM1 vs MM2 or Brad A/B etc happening late on in the league. Not that I imagine either team would actively rig that sort of match. Even if they wanted to try, the rules, deep/even squads and existence of third teams would all make it fairly hard to do so effectively.

Worried more about the players - early season it'd just be a derby, with both teams (MM especially!) harbouring decent chances and plenty of time to recover. If it happened late on you can easily think of some really nasty scenarios for people to get caught in.

David Robertson
Posts: 2228
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:24 pm
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by David Robertson » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:33 pm

What happens if you form two Pools from four 'pots', as follows: (leave tweaks/disputes aside for the minute; accept rough-n-ready)

Pot A: C2, SoA B, MM1, B1,
Pot B: NE2, MM2, B2, Scot
Pot C: HC, J, 3Cs 2, IoM
Pot D: C3, SoA C, MM3, B3

Now set up Pools by selecting equally from pots, avoiding squad teams in same Pool where possible. So...

Pool A: C2, B1, NE2, MM2, HC, IoM, SoA C, MM3

Pool B: SoA B, MM1, B2, Scot, J, 3Cs 2, C3, B3

Accepting several teams are an unknown quantity, but using a modicum of anticipation, does either Pool look especially out of line?

Mick Norris
Posts: 7785
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:19 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:On that basis, you might have MM 2 v MM 3 in round 1, and based on what Jack says, that might be best to be played, rather than the draw altered to avoid it
The thing to avoid is I'd think MM1 vs MM2 or Brad A/B etc happening late on in the league.
I think under the APA system, they would play each other (if necessary) in round 8 i.e. the Sunday of the penultimate weekend - I think that is ok
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris
Posts: 7785
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:23 pm

David Robertson wrote:What happens if you form two Pools from four 'pots', as follows: (leave tweaks/disputes aside for the minute; accept rough-n-ready)

Pot A: C2, SoA B, MM1, B1,
Pot B: NE2, MM2, B2, Scot
Pot C: HC, J, 3Cs 2, IoM
Pot D: C3, SoA C, MM3, B3

Now set up Pools by selecting equally from pots, avoiding squad teams in same Pool where possible. So...

Pool A: C2, B1, NE2, MM2, HC, IoM, SoA C, MM3

Pool B: SoA B, MM1, B2, Scot, J, 3Cs 2, C3, B3

Accepting several teams are an unknown quantity, but using a modicum of anticipation, does either Pool look especially out of line?
Based on the information to hand, then yes that looks fine - Pots A&D look correct, you could argue for weeks about where to put the 3 new teams in pots B&C
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mike Truran
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Just changing the subject somewhat...... Isle of Man have now paid their entry fee. :D

David Robertson
Posts: 2228
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:24 pm
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by David Robertson » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Isle of Man have now paid their entry fee. :D
Cut the Scots some slack. It'll take them a while to power-hose the cobwebs off their wallet.

Mick Norris
Posts: 7785
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Just changing the subject somewhat...... Isle of Man have now paid their entry fee. :D
Mike

Great news

And again, and publicly, thanks to you for your patience and hard work in establishing 4NCL North and ignoring the doomsayers

4NCL North having the same numbers (hopefully) as the new Div 3 South does legitimise the 2 promotion places
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mike Truran
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:29 pm

Our new Scottish team's entry has now been confirmed. :D

Code name "Alba".

David Pardoe
Posts: 1221
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: NORTH WEST

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:29 pm

... Alba ... It will be interesting to see the team squad... I`m guessing that they will be mainly from Central Lowland areas and Scottish Borders.. but whatever.. they are most welcome.

As are other entries, including Broadlands.... a team based mainly in the Norfolk area, I beiieve.
What an interesting geographical spread...!
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris
Posts: 7785
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Our new Scottish team's entry has now been confirmed. :D

Code name "Alba".
Good news

Have NE England 2 pulled out?
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

MartinCarpenter
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Maybe a decent chance that Broadland is a rogue typo for NE2? Norfolk isn't precisely a geographically logical place to play 3N from :) Or it might be something else entirely.

Scots invading is good.

Mike Truran
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Have NE England 2 pulled out?
I'm afraid so. Seems a shame given what a big catchment area it is.

I'm also a little concerned that I haven't heard from any of the Bradford or Cheddleton teams yet. :(

Post Reply