4NCL Division Four (South)

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Neil Graham

4NCL Division Four (South)

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Whilst we devote plenty of page space to Division Three (North) very little seems to have been said about the other divisions.

No doubt when contributors want to add anything about Division One, Two or Three (South) further dedicated threads can be opened.

Anyway, I note that three teams have already defaulted their Division Four (South) opening match - and obviously intend to default their second matches as well. This leaves a mere 17 teams left and if this is the number we end up with there are going to be plenty of pairings problems as discussed previously. I think the League has lost about 9 or 10 teams this year compared to last.

For reference the teams not coming to Division Four are Celtic Tigers 2, Midland Monarchs 2 and Barnet Knights 4.

Roger de Coverly

Re: 4NCL Division Four (South)

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:49 pm

Neil Graham wrote: I think the League has lost about 9 or 10 teams this year compared to last.
Last season, if you ignore a team that didn't play at all, there were 59 teams in the combined division 3 making 91 in total. This season it is 84, or 81 if you remove the three not showing up for the first weekend. The removal of five e2e4 teams makes up half of the net loss.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Neil Graham wrote:For reference the teams not coming to Division Four are Celtic Tigers 2, Midland Monarchs 2 and Barnet Knights 4.
I expect my 2nd team to be there at the other weekends but as in November 2014 the dates have proved very difficult for what is mainly a junior squad.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Neil Graham wrote: I think the League has lost about 9 or 10 teams this year compared to last.
Last season, if you ignore a team that didn't play at all, there were 59 teams in the combined division 3 making 91 in total. This season it is 84, or 81 if you remove the three not showing up for the first weekend. The removal of five e2e4 teams makes up half of the net loss.
Considering there are nine new teams this season, this means there are substantial losses from last year. Several clubs have not re-appeared.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Considering there are nine new teams this season, this means there are substantial losses from last year. Several clubs have not re-appeared.
The move from Daventry to Telford has played a part, although I have the same number of teams I've had a huge turnover of players.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:48 pm

Neil Graham wrote: Considering there are nine new teams this season, this means there are substantial losses from last year. Several clubs have not re-appeared.
I make it 15 from the combined division 3.

Anglian Avengers 3
Banbury Bulldogs
Broadland Harnsers [2]
Check Us Out
e2e4.org.uk 2
e2e4.org.uk 3
e2e4.org.uk 4
e2e4.org.uk 5
Guildford 4
KJCA Knights
North East England 2
Rhyfelwyr Essyllwg 2
Surbiton 2
The Pitstop
Witney Brown Jack

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:22 am

Based on my entry fees received spreadsheets, the net movement between this and last season across the whole of the 4NCL was eight (of which five were the e2e4 teams).

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Based on no checking whatever, that sounds about right. There are new teams after all, eg Alba whose top player was taken from us. :(

Arguably there were a suprisingly high number of teams in the first place and this is a slight correction; in any event I wouldn't expect the same drop again next year.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Arguably there were a suprisingly high number of teams in the first place and this is a slight correction; in any event I wouldn't expect the same drop again next year.
It'll be interesting to see which venues we end up with in 2016-17. That will have a bearing on if the number of teams goes up or down.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: in any event I wouldn't expect the same drop again next year.
Surely it will go up, as the army of e2e4 players who are facing an enforced sabbatical find new homes.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:45 pm

For Week Two, five of the 20 teams failed to put in an appearance at Telford. Two of the teams, namely Barnet Knights 4 and Celtic Tigers 2, haven't appeared at all yet and one wonders if they ever will - did they really pay £100 for the privilege of not showing up? Barnet Knights 2 and 3 plus CSC Hippos also failed to appear. My guess is that sensible pairings will be hard to find in this division if this rate of no-show continues. Finally as no doubt CSC have been fined for changing their team name - can anyone tell me what CSC stands for?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 pm

CSC = Chess in Schools & Communities?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm

Neil Graham wrote:can anyone tell me what CSC stands for?
I had assumed it was the charity run by Malcolm Pein, namely Chess in Schools and Communities.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Finally as no doubt CSC have been fined for changing their team name
Not so much a fine as an admin fee. There is a substantial amount of work involved on the part of the 4NCL engine room in effecting name changes mid-season.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:can anyone tell me what CSC stands for?
I had assumed it was the charity run by Malcolm Pein, namely Chess in Schools and Communities.
Why would a team consisting largely of senior players be named "CSC"? Their registration list comprises 31 players of which only a couple are schoolchildren? Oh well.

As for the 4NCL engine room - is this manned by a host of arbiters, possibly those not part of the nexus, shovelling coal into a furnace to keep the 4NCL afloat?