4NCL Weekend 3

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mike Truran

4NCL Weekend 3

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:53 pm

There's a big report on 4NCL weekend 3 on the ChessBase website: http://en.chessbase.com/post/4ncl-in-birmingham.

carstenpedersen

Re: 4NCL Weekend 3

Post by carstenpedersen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:18 pm

Not a single word about div 3N, so they obviously don't understand what the main event is :wink:

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Don't imagine they had half such a good photographer there :)
(Very good photos this time, especially in the full album.).

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:51 pm

carstenpedersen wrote:Not a single word about div 3N, so they obviously don't understand what the main event is :wink:
Nothing about 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b and 4 so I wouldn't feel too left out :)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:55 pm

And I don't suppose the author was on site either. It has the look of a cut and paste internet report.

I mean, where are the tell-tale signs of author presence? Such as the fact that one match in division 1a on the Sunday had actually finished at a time when the Oxford v Barbican 1 score was still 0-0? Or that the Dragons are the story of the season so far? That Guildford 1 have now won three matches by 8-0, a new record (of what, you might ask? Pointlessness? But apparently, if they soften up, as they did in January, then they can come remarkably close to losing to Barbican 2).

In fact I don't think I have seen any on-site writer having written any report on any of the weekends the first or second divisions so far this season. Which is a touch of a disappointment, after three weekends.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Still, I guess something is better than nothing.

I understand that CHESS are going to be doing a big piece on the 4NCL soon. Whether it's by an on-site writer though I can't say.

There is a modest honorarium for anyone prepared to write Div 1 and 2 reports. I look forward to the flood of applications......

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Well the editor was on site, so there should be some flavour :)

There's the (good!) spirit of Atticus reports, but those are obviously a bit focused.

I wonder what the record number of game points for a Div1 season is? Guilford have to be at the very least seriously threatening it. Destroying WR1 like that and all those 8-0's.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Still, I guess something is better than nothing.

I understand that CHESS are going to be doing a big piece on the 4NCL soon. Whether it's by an on-site writer though I can't say.

There is a modest honorarium for anyone prepared to write Div 1 and 2 reports. I look forward to the flood of applications......
Agreed and it's only natural that Division One will be the main focus. At least the 4NCL site does from time to time feature articles from captains in other divisions so we get some coverage.

I can recommend the job of reporter but for now I'm happy to focus on my squad of juniors and women and the competitive chess that Division 3 & 4 provide for them.

Matthew Parry

Post by Matthew Parry » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:48 am

Mike, I would happily do a report on Division 3S and 4 save for the fact that my lack of chess knowledge and skill would unquestionably lead to the focus being on the bar, playing conditions, pool table, and score-sheets for my own team (fortunately all would be positive reviews this year). My analyses have always been strong on description and short on chess :)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:18 am

Matthew Parry wrote:Mike, I would happily do a report on Division 3S and 4 save for the fact that my lack of chess knowledge and skill would unquestionably lead to the focus being on the bar, playing conditions, pool table, and score-sheets for my own team (fortunately all would be positive reviews this year). My analyses have always been strong on description and short on chess :)
Sounds good to me :)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:29 am

Its what the Atticus reports are mostly about and they're often very good reading :)

Looking too seriously at the chess in Div3/4 probably isn't entirely recommended!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:45 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Its what the Atticus reports are mostly about and they're often very good reading :)

Looking too seriously at the chess in Div3/4 probably isn't entirely recommended!
Hard to avoid though if you're the game inputter :oops:

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Matthew Parry wrote:Mike, I would happily do a report on Division 3S and 4 save for the fact that my lack of chess knowledge and skill would unquestionably lead to the focus being on the bar, playing conditions, pool table, and score-sheets for my own team (fortunately all would be positive reviews this year). My analyses have always been strong on description and short on chess :)
After I complained about this very thing last season, Steve Burke is writing a report on Divisions 3S & 4 which is attached to the 4NCL website. Unfortunately there is no report as yet for Week 3 for the simple reason that the Round 6 games for these divisions have yet to appear on the 4NCL site.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:36 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Its what the Atticus reports are mostly about and they're often very good reading :)

There is plenty of interesting and good chess played in all these divisions (not by me though :oops: ). There were 10 players with IM or FM titles competing in Div 3 in Week 3 and plenty of players with ECF grades of 180+.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
After I complained about this very thing last season, Steve Burke is writing a report on Divisions 3S & 4 which is attached to the 4NCL website. Unfortunately there is no report as yet for Week 3 for the simple reason that the Round 6 games for these divisions have yet to appear on the 4NCL site.
They have yet to reach the inputter. Once they do they will be done within a day or two. The latest delivery forecast is Sunday night so you should probably add 24-48 hours or so for me to input them and the webmaster to post them to the site.