Division Two 2016-17

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Division Two 2016-17

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 04, 2017 9:19 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote: More than just a rumour:

http://schachbundesliga.de/bundesliga/t ... britannien
The Google translation doesn't come out very clearly. They appear to have had some row with the management of both the Bundesliga and the German chess federation. This may possibly be about difficulties with having to organise a match or two in their home town. Central venues are cited as an attractive feature of the 4NCL. It appears they considered moving from Trier, but apparently this was blocked.

4NCL rules are much looser on this. A squad can nominate anyone it can persuade to play for them, which is probably much the same as in the Bundesliga given the number of foreign players. You can however change the team name over the summer which implies as well that the right to play in a particular division can also be transferred.

I'm not sure what happens to the Manx players, perhaps a second team, notwithstanding the split venues.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu May 04, 2017 9:28 am

Well, the actual Manx players haven't turned out in great numbers in their 2 seasons in Div 3N; I assume initially that was why they turned to the overseas players, although now this looks more like a strategy

Manx 2 would be very welcome in Div 3N, as of course is any team; the more the merrier

If the strengthened Manx team goes through to Div 1 to join Alba, I assume for competitive purposes we would all welcome that

There is a divide though, between the (semi) professional and amateur teams
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 am

Mick Norris wrote:Manx 2 would be very welcome in Div 3N
From a conversation I had at the weekend, I am not expecting a Manx 2 to enter next season. There is a good chance that the two Irish teams will enter again.

A NE 2 or Alba 2 are only slight possibilities.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu May 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Alan Walton wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
More than just a rumour:

http://schachbundesliga.de/bundesliga/t ... britannien
They still need to find a junior or two though which led to an unlikely reply to my e-mail informing captains that I am dropping my two Division Four teams and therefore several juniors (just under half being girls) are now looking for teams :shock:
Or they will just pay for a strong female
They had a Woman Grandmaster Barbara Jaracz (FIDE 2244) play for them in Rounds 7 & 8. Her husband Pawel Jaracz played in the same two matches.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Time to rename the 4NCL as the (N+4)CL!?