Mr Barden's Guardian Article

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
NickFaulks

Re: Mr Barden's Guardian Article

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:I guess we are assuming that the Pool system could not be interpreted as different divisions for norm purposes.
It possibly could be, but it won't.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun May 07, 2017 11:08 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Paul Cooksey wrote:I guess we are assuming that the Pool system could not be interpreted as different divisions for norm purposes.
On the basis of the ECF's ongoing friendly relations with FIDE?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun May 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
On the basis of the ECF's ongoing friendly relations with FIDE?
On the basis that the man tasked with interpreting it has just written, in public, that it won't be.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon May 08, 2017 7:30 am

I was being sarcastic, I can't tell if Alex is doing the same.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Mon May 08, 2017 7:37 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Pooling was banned in 2015/16, permitted in 2016/17, and now banned again in 2017/18 going forwards.
I don't know too much about title regulations but does this mean two players A and B could have identical results against the same opponents, A achieving a norm and B not doing so ?

For example all results in Div 1 except for B v C which was played in Div 2 as their clubs' first teams were strengthened for that match.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 am

NickFaulks wrote:
There goes the perfect excuse to get rid of the pool system and return to the round robin :cry:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 am

LawrenceCooper wrote: There goes the perfect excuse to get rid of the pool system and return to the round robin :cry:
Sorry.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I think Leonard has a problem with the naming of many of the teams. If you know nothing about cricket or football, you can still get behind Sussex or Liverpool because of some accident of birth. It is unlikely that many non-chess players will be rooting for Cheddleston. How many non-chess players would know where, or what, 3C's was? Would the 4NCL be more marketable if 3cs were Manchester, Cheddleston Derby?
Certainly an interesting point of view.
are Liverpool a well known cricket club, theyre not a well known football club that's for sure lol just joking

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Alan Llewellyn wrote:
Matthew Turner wrote:I think Leonard has a problem with the naming of many of the teams. If you know nothing about cricket or football, you can still get behind Sussex or Liverpool because of some accident of birth. It is unlikely that many non-chess players will be rooting for Cheddleston. How many non-chess players would know where, or what, 3C's was? Would the 4NCL be more marketable if 3cs were Manchester, Cheddleston Derby?
are Liverpool a well known cricket club, theyre not a well known football club that's for sure lol just joking
I think matthew turner should sit down and watch matthew bulliers day out, have a perm, and listen to some duran duran, he seems to be reliving times gone past when Liverpool had a soccer team.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:56 am

Alan Llewellyn wrote:
Alan Llewellyn wrote:
I think matthew turner should sit down and watch matthew bulliers day out, have a perm, and listen to some duran duran, he seems to be reliving times gone past when Liverpool had a soccer team.
Was 'matthew bulliers day out' the unsuccessful sequel to 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Matthew with a perm was funny enough to let the post stand.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

MatthewParry

Post by MatthewParry » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:37 am

Sigh; it seems that Leonard has neglected his research again. South Wales Dragons have not been renamed and had a one player import as the article suggest but have merged with another squad. Something he would have realised if he'd either looked at the divisions beyond the first and seen that there are multiple WIB teams or looked at last season's tables and seen that WIB was around then.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 am

MatthewParry wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:37 am
Sigh; it seems that Leonard has neglected his research again. South Wales Dragons have not been renamed and had a one player import as the article suggest but have merged with another squad. Something he would have realised if he'd either looked at the divisions beyond the first and seen that there are multiple WIB teams or looked at last season's tables and seen that WIB was around then.
You mean here?

I was interested also to read this where
Dan Fernandez, from Manchester’s 3Cs club
will be a surprise to Marple chess club
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 am

MatthewParry wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:37 am
Sigh; it seems that Leonard has neglected his research again. South Wales Dragons have not been renamed and had a one player import as the article suggest but have merged with another squad.
I think you're reading things into the article it doesn't say or imply. Whilst it would have been clearer if it said "and, after a merger with" instead of "but (sic) renamed", it doesn't say they only acquired one new player. Mr. Barden probably thinks there was only one new player worth a mention, which is not unreasonable as he is the only titled player added to the squad, and the rest of the West is Best squad are no better than the majority of the existing South Wales Dragons squad, as can been seen from the composition of the new team in rounds 1 and 2.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:44 am

I'm the only titled player added to the squad? Ioan Rees and Roy Phillips might disagree with you on that one.