Manx Liberty & S G Trier - some clarification

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
David Robertson

Manx Liberty & S G Trier - some clarification

Post by David Robertson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:24 pm

We've known for a year or two that Manx Liberty shares many players with S G Trier from the Bundesliga. The open question has been how many of their alpha-list would turn out on a given weekend in the 4NCL. That question has been further complicated by the fact that S G Trier plays in Div 1 of the Bundesliga, often on the same weekend as 4NCL.

So I was idly intrigued, just now, to notice that the Bundesliga again shares this weekend with 4NCL. Would this impact on Manx Liberty's team? Imagine my surprise, therefore, when I checked on the Bundesliga website to discover that S G Trier no longer features in Div 1 or any division of the current Bundesliga. Had it folded because of financial problems? Had it folded itself into another Club? Had it morphed into a different name? Alas, my German isn't remotely good enough to read through the Bundesliga website.

But I scratched around a bit; then probed some more on Google. And lo :!: - shock :shock: - I found this Press Release which announces:

S G Trier has quit the Bundesliga, and moved to 4NCL. So it's official. And they're coming for Guildford!

[when you open the link, click on 'press release' in the article for the full story. It's an interesting story too - (alert @ Leonard Barden) I can't for the moment create an independent link]

I think it's worth noting:

* there appears to have been a falling-out between the Bundesliga management and S G Trier which discussions have failed to remedy

* in the 'interview' link in the article I've found, there are references by a Bundesliga official to some lack of financial transparency and due process in the affairs of S G Trier.

Intriguing

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Manx Liberty & S G Trier - some clarification

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 pm

This was noted here, but not commented on much at the time, back in May when this news first broke:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8795&p=199446#p199443

The link provided there are the time by Jonathan Rogers still works:

http://schachbundesliga.de/bundesliga/t ... britannien

If you are interested in following German chess forums, there is this thread:

https://www.schachfeld.de/threads/30865 ... britannien

I presume the rest of that forum is as exciting as this one... 8)

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Main reasons per the German version:

1. Loss of the DSB home venue (hence presumably the attraction of centralised venues).
2. Greater support for team chess from the 4NCL organisers than from their German counterparts.
3. Difficulties between the top players and DSB officials.
4. Inability to absorb the Trier players into another DSB team.
5. A breakdown in understanding between the DSB team and the rest of the club.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:49 pm
Main reasons per the German version:

1. Loss of the DSB home venue (hence presumably the attraction of centralised venues).
2. Greater support for team chess from the 4NCL organisers than from their German counterparts.
3. Difficulties between the top players and DSB officials.
4. Inability to absorb the Trier players into another DSB team.
5. A breakdown in understanding between the DSB team and the rest of the club.
Reasons two and three would seem to reflect considerable credit on you and the 4NCL team.

An ECF and 4NCL Director is not without honour, save on the English Chess Forum.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:24 pm

One has to distinguish the man from the office. Before he took the poisoned chalice I suspect he was one of the most highly respected members of this fraternity. Now, of course, he is a mortal enemy - and rightly so: his shirts are so .. Paisley.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 pm

And this from a man who rocked up to Council wearing .. Caribbean. I rest my case.

PS David - I think we've done OK over the years. Thank you for your kind words, and I note the biblical reference.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:40 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:24 pm
One has to distinguish the man from the office.
A view not very evident in Council :-)

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:14 am

Oh? What leads you to say that?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Nothing in ECF rules, as far as I'm aware, against coats of many colours. But what's this view not very evident in Council?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Well Paul's comment left me bemused but reading it again I think he simply meant (not too seriously) that Mike Truran was suggesting those holding a Council position must subsume their personality to the dignity of the office. The exchange between Mike and myself about shirts, however, was merely a public continuation of a good-natured spar between us that has been going on since about last June.