Fourth weekend

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Jonathan Rogers

Fourth weekend

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Yes, a rare post on the top two divisions, instead of, say, Division Three North!

This has been my first opportunity to miss a 4NCL weekend in exactly ten years. Fortunately things turned out well enough without me, though I was unable to watch my second and youth team win their matches today, and watching the first team win yesterday against West is Best was not exactly enjoyable. It felt as though we deserved to lose about 5.5-2.5, but somehow went 4-0 up. Even then it should have ended 4-4 but we somehow got another half point when it no longer mattered for either team, each now destined for separate pools.

After watching events such as Wijk and the candidates, it is quite something to watch perfectly good, but not world class, players on live games with the engine running: my goodness, it shows more ups and downs than a heart monitor.

I haven't noticed any big shocks, but there it is. Very good day for Grantham Sharks yesterday, and very good weekend for Wood Green.

Plenty of evidence though, if any more were really needed, that the starting pools in division 2 were quite uneven, yet again.

Mick Norris

Re: Fourth weekend

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:59 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm
Plenty of evidence though, if any more were really needed, that the starting pools in division 2 were quite uneven, yet again.
Is the problem the allocation to the pools of the promoted teams? Or the demoted teams? Or both?

Is there an answer to the problem?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:59 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm
Is the problem the allocation to the pools of the promoted teams? Or the demoted teams? Or both?

Is there an answer to the problem?
The first thing to say is that, when they remember, the Board circulates proposed seedings to captains and asks for comments in advance. This year everyone seems to have agreed that Manx Liberty should be top seeds in the second division even though they had just been promoted. This is not quite the same as saying exactly how the teams will be separated in the two pools, but that will of course be largely determined by seedings and so when the pools are uneven, it is to some extent down to everyone, and not just the Board.

It does seem to be true that there is greater unpredictability wth promoted teams and relegated teams; teams staying in the division are that bit more likely to be about a strong as before. What this year has added to the mix is that even two relegated teams (Celtic Knights and North East England) have proven to be stronger than last year, partly because the former are hiring a strong lady player and NE England no longer need a lady player and happen to have a strong junior.

Is there an answer to the problem? Probably not, but I will doubtless continue to remark on it nonetheless. it is primarily a second division problem, it seems, starting from the very first season under the new format in 2008/9, when the top four teams in one starting pool (Jutes of Kent, Grantham/Pandora's Box, Oxford and Poisoned Pawns) all finished a sthe top four teams in the promotion pool as well.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 am

Interesting post. Of course it is 4th weekend for 3 & 4 in the south. So changes to 3 South from 10 years ago relevant & Celtic Knights looking for a 2nd team next season.

Lets see how round 7 goes. But for my team we are hoping for a team in 2, a team in 3 & a team in 4 for next season.

On 1 & 2 best wishes for the final May matches.