DIV 3 North..more teams wanted..

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
David Pardoe

DIV 3 North..more teams wanted..

Post by David Pardoe » Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 pm

With the end of another season of 4ncl chess, we can look ahead to next season after the summer `break`..
It looks like some new teams would be very welcome next season in the Div 3 North section.
Can any of our northern groups oblige with some new teams...maybe from Derbyshire, South Yorks, Lancashire/Merseyside, or maybe from Durham/Teesside..Cheshire/North Wales, Lincolnshire, or Staffordshire
The 6 board format means that a squad of say 12 players should enable a viable team to enter..
I hope our northern brethren can give this some thought and help raise the team pool to around the 20 team mark again next season..check out the 4NCL website for further details.. or contact one of the current captains for advice or further information.
Last edited by David Pardoe on Sun May 20, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Paul Dargan

Re: DIV 3 North..more teams wanted..

Post by Paul Dargan » Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm

North East England is considering entering a 2nd team again - subject to making sure we have sufficient interest and an on-site captain for the team. We'll suss out support over the Summer and see where we get to.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 pm

David Pardoe wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 pm
With the end of another season of 4ncl chess, we can look ahead to next season after the summer `break`..
It looks like some new teams would be very welcome next season in the Div 3 North section.
Can any of our northern groups oblige with some new teams...maybe from Derbyshire, South Yorks, Lancashire/Merseyside, or maybe from Durham..Cheshire, Lincolnshire, or Staffordshire
The 6 board format means that a squad of say 12 players should enable a viable team to enter..
I hope our northern brethren can give this some thought and help raise the team pool to around the 20 team mark again next season..check out the 4NCL website for further details.. or contact one of the current captains for advice or further information.
I'm not sure if a 20 team swiss is considered better than the 16 or 12 team formats albeit the extra entry fees will be welcome. The less southernly based venues for Division 3 & 4 South may tempt some teams (eg Shropshire) to try their luck with 3 weekends in Telford and 2 in Daventry/Staverton.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 pm
The less southernly based venues for Division 3 & 4 South may tempt some teams (eg Shropshire) to try their luck with 3 weekends in Telford and 2 in Daventry/Staverton.
I thought it was 4 in Daventry, 1 in Bedford?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 pm
The less southernly based venues for Division 3 & 4 South may tempt some teams (eg Shropshire) to try their luck with 3 weekends in Telford and 2 in Daventry/Staverton.
I thought it was 4 in Daventry, 1 in Bedford?
Oops, mixing myself up with Division One and Two :oops:

That said, it's still a big improvement on all five being at Wokefield Park if you are based in the Midlands or further north.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Wokefield - even once is a disaster. It's basically an 8 hour commute each way for the whole team. It worse than asking the London-based players to play in Edinburgh in time terms ...

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 pm

It's already well-known but the two Ashfield-Breadsall teams will be leaving Division Three(North) next season.

We moved from Division Three(South) and Division Four(South) two seasons ago when they moved to Wokefield. However the venue at Bolton meant that several squad members withdrew from 4NCL chess and with three weekends at Bolton next season including the final three rounds we have determined to move. There is only one primary route over the Pennines (the M62) and we had players stuck for four hours in Weekend 2 this season when the motorway was closed and I know the Manchester teams had a similar occurrence in the last weekend whilst travelling in the opposite direction. Similarly the Beast from the East meant that a number of players/teams, including two players of ours, didn't make it to Bolton on Weekend 4.

We moved from the promotion pool of Division Three (South) and obviously our first team would like to return to that Division and I will write more in hope than anticipation to see if that's possible. Daventry/Bedford is a much better fit than Bolton/Doncaster I'm afraid.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 pm
We moved from the promotion pool of Division Three (South) and obviously our first team would like to return to that Division and I will write more in hope than anticipation to see if that's possible. Daventry/Bedford is a much better fit than Bolton/Doncaster I'm afraid.
Failing a team folding - aren't the 16 spots already taken?

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 pm
Neil Graham wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 pm
Failing a team folding - aren't the 16 spots already taken?
Even if a team folds the space will be allocated to someone else. That's why I say "in hope rather than anticipation" - I am expecting to have to start in Division Four (South) again.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri May 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm
North East England is considering entering a 2nd team again - subject to making sure we have sufficient interest and an on-site captain for the team. We'll suss out support over the Summer and see where we get to.
Good luck with that Paul.. certainly a few new faces would be welcome and if we could keep the Swiss format as of last season just finished, it would be good. ie, as per Alex formula.. which seemed to work well for Div 3 North.
Despite some ad hoc travel difficulties, the season has been pretty successful in my view....
ie. the odd `blast of cold weather from eastern quarters` and a tanker fire which closed the M62, and could strike any motorway....... most matches went ahead with little problems...finding the perfect venue combination is never easy. Doncaster has proved good, and those not wishing to chance the M62 could perhaps try the Woodhead pass via Barnsley, or the Snake pass (A57) to cross that stretch of the Pennines, particularly if they are not in a great hurry.. the scenery alone is worth the time.
Hopefully we can continue to find good new venues, and some used previously could be good if they become available. Harrogate, Darlington/Bishop Auckland, and Mid Cheshire have proved good....not to forget Buxton of course.
BRING BACK THE BCF

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:12 pm

David Pardoe wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:15 pm
Paul Dargan wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm
Good luck with that Paul.. certainly a few new faces would be welcome and if we could keep the Swiss format as of last season just finished, it would be good. ie, as per Alex formula.. which seemed to work well for Div 3 North.
Despite some ad hoc travel difficulties, the season has been pretty successful in my view....
ie. the odd `blast of cold weather from eastern quarters` and a tanker fire which closed the M62, and could strike any motorway....... most matches went ahead with little problems...finding the perfect venue combination is never easy. Doncaster has proved good, and those not wishing to chance the M62 could perhaps try the Woodhead pass via Barnsley, or the Snake pass (A57) to cross that stretch of the Pennines, particularly if they are not in a great hurry.. the scenery alone is worth the time.
Hopefully we can continue to find good new venues, and some used previously could be good if they become available. Harrogate, Darlington/Bishop Auckland, and Mid Cheshire have proved good....not to forget Buxton of course.
I agreed that venues are a big thing, and if you can find one, you should be able to share the news with the 4ncl team!!
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:27 pm

What are the required features of a good venue?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 pm

Honestly, first and foremost being able to be hired at whatever cost is possible :) They do awfully well considering.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:12 am

i know a great venue in the north west!!

The robin park Arena in wigan (that where the PDC used for the darts in wigan) big enough and handy enough for control etc

also cheap hotels near by!!

also big hotels should be look at like macdonalds?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 am

I`m sure your suggestion is good John...but you have also to consider the spread of venues to cater for `north` or `south` sections.. not easy, and I`m sure Mike and his team would welcome suggestions from `locals`...
Its certainly disappointing to see teams from Notts heading south.. `for travel reasons`
BRING BACK THE BCF