Division One 2018-19

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Paul Dargan
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:35 pm
Guildford still unbeaten in any individual game so far this season, by the way. Last year they lost only game, against their second team.
Of course they only play North East next weekend ... that might damage their game points tally, but actually it wont because we'll end-up in different pools ...

Chris Skulte
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Chris Skulte » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:07 am

Fell a little behind with the Celtic Tigers newsletters, and website updating. That crazy little thing called life. :)

All can be accessed here: https://www.celtictigers.club/newsletter

Direct download link to
* Nov'18 & Jan'19 weekend: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/056f9f_2 ... d79838.pdf
* Feb'19 weekend: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/056f9f_e ... b22c42.pdf

Thanks for another well organised weekend.
Chris.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18092
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Those who were playing at Telford last weekend may have spotted that the hotel was no longer the Park Inn. Whether this had anything to do with several teams worth of players who were the other side of the motorway at the Priorslee University campus isn't known.

Locally they seem to have known about it.
https://www.shropshirestar.com/business ... -for-sale/

When the 4NCL played in Telford many years ago, it was run by the Moat House group. But hotels and their managements seem to chop and change frequently.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 3868
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 am

So the Manx Liberty challenge ended prematurely on Sunday, torpedoed by the clash with the European Championships and the relative lack of 2300-2500 muscle in the squad underneath the very top players.

And still, absolutely nothing on twitter or other chess media. The lack of general interest and writing on 4NCL has hit absolute rock bottom this year (one page covering first four rounds in CHESS, as a further example). I am not casting blame - like everyone else, I would do it if I had more time - but I do think it is a big loss to the event.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5047
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:59 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 am
So the Manx Liberty challenge ended prematurely on Sunday, torpedoed by the clash with the European Championships and the relative lack of 2300-2500 muscle in the squad underneath the very top players.
The thought did occur to me that under the current format my first team may have benefited from not winning our match in round 7 which would have led to us playing Manx in round 8, rather than round 10, when they are rumoured to have two 2700s as well as their 2600s.

Mike Truran
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 am

And still, absolutely nothing on twitter or other chess media. The lack of general interest and writing on 4NCL has hit absolute rock bottom this year (one page covering first four rounds in CHESS, as a further example). I am not casting blame - like everyone else, I would do it if I had more time - but I do think it is a big loss to the event.
Indeed. I had thought I had found someone to do the reporting for the 4NCL website earlier in the season, but the person in question seems to have gone off the grid. If any forumite would like to volunteer you know where to find me. The job comes with a modest fee.

Leonard Barden
Posts: 1474
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:18 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 am
And still, absolutely nothing on twitter or other chess media. The lack of general interest and writing on 4NCL has hit absolute rock bottom this year (one page covering first four rounds in CHESS, as a further example). I am not casting blame - like everyone else, I would do it if I had more time - but I do think it is a big loss to the event.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... -with-manx

Doesn't national press publicity matter then, or is it thought to be not worth mentioning? I have another article about the 4NCL in preparation for this weekend, which should be online on Friday.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 am
And still, absolutely nothing on twitter or other chess media. The lack of general interest and writing on 4NCL has hit absolute rock bottom this year (one page covering first four rounds in CHESS, as a further example). I am not casting blame - like everyone else, I would do it if I had more time - but I do think it is a big loss to the event.
Indeed. I had thought I had found someone to do the reporting for the 4NCL website earlier in the season, but the person in question seems to have gone off the grid. If any forumite would like to volunteer you know where to find me. The job comes with a modest fee.
The same was true of social media, it looked like we had found someone, but no...

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 3868
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:18 am
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 am
And still, absolutely nothing on twitter or other chess media. The lack of general interest and writing on 4NCL has hit absolute rock bottom this year (one page covering first four rounds in CHESS, as a further example). I am not casting blame - like everyone else, I would do it if I had more time - but I do think it is a big loss to the event.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... -with-manx

Doesn't national press publicity matter then, or is it thought to be not worth mentioning? I have another article about the 4NCL in preparation for this weekend, which should be online on Friday.
Apologies for my delay in replying. I have noticed the Guardian reports and am pleased that they have continued (and will continue) despite the lack of any assistance from elsewhere. Perhaps Malcolm has also continued coverage in the Telegraph; I wouldn't know. But I was really referring to the specialist chess media, including chess social media and 4NCL website, and finding it remarkable that two or three days after the event, the collapse of Manx Liberty had been absolutely nowhere the subject of any comment.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5047
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:19 am

Leonard Barden wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:18 am
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 am
And still, absolutely nothing on twitter or other chess media. The lack of general interest and writing on 4NCL has hit absolute rock bottom this year (one page covering first four rounds in CHESS, as a further example). I am not casting blame - like everyone else, I would do it if I had more time - but I do think it is a big loss to the event.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... -with-manx

Doesn't national press publicity matter then, or is it thought to be not worth mentioning? I have another article about the 4NCL in preparation for this weekend, which should be online on Friday.
Is it too late to correct the error about Michael Adams being registered at the start of the season?

Leonard Barden
Posts: 1474
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:09 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:19 am

Is it too late to correct the error about Michael Adams being registered at the start of the season?
The article is a month old, but you can send a correction to

https://www.theguardian.com/info/tech-feedback

Click the Comment or query about an article option

You can always make a comment or correction at the time the article is published in the comments box provided, and it will be dealt with then. That's also helpful in showing reader interest. There were only four reader comments about the 4NCL article. far fewer than normal.

Tim Harding
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 am
a good guess. They had been hoping to play her regularly but must still be hoping for a one-off appearance.
In view of the announcement about visas for sporting students (discussed in the Tier 4 visa regulations thread under General Chat) I imagine that Hou Yifan would be ill advised to allow herself to be recruited by any 4NCL team, whatever the inducement?
Tim Harding
Historian and Kibitzer

Author of 'British Chess Literature to 1914', Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5047
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:09 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:19 am

Is it too late to correct the error about Michael Adams being registered at the start of the season?
The article is a month old, but you can send a correction to

https://www.theguardian.com/info/tech-feedback

Click the Comment or query about an article option

You can always make a comment or correction at the time the article is published in the comments box provided, and it will be dealt with then. That's also helpful in showing reader interest. There were only four reader comments about the 4NCL article. far fewer than normal.
Thanks, I've done as you suggested.

NickFaulks
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm
In view of the announcement about visas for sporting students (discussed in the Tier 4 visa regulations thread under General Chat) I imagine that Hou Yifan would be ill advised to allow herself to be recruited by any 4NCL team, whatever the inducement?
I'm not sure that I see why. What is the worst that can happen?

Tim Harding
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Division One 2018-19

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:07 pm
Tim Harding wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm
In view of the announcement about visas for sporting students (discussed in the Tier 4 visa regulations thread under General Chat) I imagine that Hou Yifan would be ill advised to allow herself to be recruited by any 4NCL team, whatever the inducement?
I'm not sure that I see why. What is the worst that can happen?
I'm not sure what it means either, but I don't think there's any doubt Hou Yifan would be considered a professional sportsperson under the regulations.

On a superficial reading, if the article and mentioned thread are correct, it seems to say it is OK for her to play for a professional sports team but not an amateur one. How a 4NCL first division team would be classified (Pro/ Amateur/ Not sports at all) would seem to be at the discretion of whoever makes the rules.
The main thing Hou Yifan would need to be concerned about is not to violate the terms of her visa. Rather than worry about it, simpler to say no?
Tim Harding
Historian and Kibitzer

Author of 'British Chess Literature to 1914', Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Post Reply