Biggest winning margin

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
benedgell

Biggest winning margin

Post by benedgell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 am

Whats the biggest winning margin ever managed by a team @ ncl? Noticed a team in Div 4 won 6 - -3 yesterday, wondering if a team has ever had a bigger winning margin then 9?

Alex Holowczak

Re: Biggest winning margin

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:34 am

benedgell wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 am
Whats the biggest winning margin ever managed by a team @ ncl? Noticed a team in Div 4 won 6 - -3 yesterday, wondering if a team has ever had a bigger winning margin then 9?
This isn't beating 9, but there was an 8 - -1 between 3Cs and King's Head a couple of seasons ago: http://www.4nclresults.co.uk/2016-17/4n ... export/#t4

Maybe there was an 8 - -1.5 at some point?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:39 pm

There was one season where Sharks 3 turned up with two players for a few matches, which might well have broken those records had the current rules been in place at the time.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:24 pm

CSC3 also had a winning margin of 8 yesterday. In the triangular match we won 5-1 &-2. Our 2 players receiving defaults both got games & won 2-0. Thanks to the organisers for providing games for all the players in our match & also the opposition captain for getting the message through to us giving us plenty of time to make some reshuffling.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 pm

I'm a squad member of one of the teams impacted by defaults at the weekend, though not involved this weekend. Personally if I were involved in the team organisation I would have been pretty hacked off by the lateness of the notification of defaults. The evening before isn't timely. It is a nuisance in club fixtures let alone matches which involve considerable travelling and expense. And when I offer to play team chess I don't really want to play a graded friendly instead. Well done to the organisers for handling the inconvenience, but there seemed to be a significant number of defaults across the weekend which one hopes would be less prevalent going forward.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 pm
I'm a squad member of one of the teams impacted by defaults at the weekend, though not involved this weekend. Personally if I were involved in the team organisation I would have been pretty hacked off by the lateness of the notification of defaults. The evening before isn't timely. It is a nuisance in club fixtures let alone matches which involve considerable travelling and expense. And when I offer to play team chess I don't really want to play a graded friendly instead. Well done to the organisers for handling the inconvenience, but there seemed to be a significant number of defaults across the weekend which one hopes would be less prevalent going forward.
Can I affirm everything in the post above. In our case we arrived to find a defaulted board - there had been no notification whatsoever that our opponents were defaulting a board and even worse it affected a player who was stopping overnight at the hotel. We rehashed our teams so that he got a game and someone else dropped out. The level of defaults in Division Four (South) over the weekend was unacceptable. As far as I can see a couple of teams who appeared on Saturday disappeared on Sunday. If teams enter the League they need to take their commitments seriously.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:31 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 pm
Neil Graham wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm
Can I affirm everything in the post above. In our case we arrived to find a defaulted board - there had been no notification whatsoever that our opponents were defaulting a board and even worse it affected a player who was stopping overnight at the hotel. We rehashed our teams so that he got a game and someone else dropped out. The level of defaults in Division Four (South) over the weekend was unacceptable. As far as I can see a couple of teams who appeared on Saturday disappeared on Sunday. If teams enter the League they need to take their commitments seriously.
Fond as I am of the Counties Championship, I can't deny that there are some problems with it. The worst of these is teams who don't take their obligations seriously.

If the malaise is spreading to the 4NCL, then that is worrying.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 pm

On CSC3 I got a text at 639am ish on Camb Uni 3 defaulting 3 boards. I was due to play on board 3 it ought not effect me. It was just a question as whether we or WIB4 will pick up 2 or 1 win. I was also travelling with a WIB4 player.
On arrival I got confirmation & then spoke to Dave Thomas who confirmed. I then pointed out the name of the room of the match was incorrect.
As there are significant financial penalties per board perhaps 4NCL ought to pass on to the affected teams to distribute to their affected players.

I have pointed out previously to 4NCL where is my compensation for wasted travelling expenses & accommodation for the night let alone wasted time & maybe some payment for refreshments & hanging around another day & then still no guarantee that I will get a game.

As for the Counties matches - my U160 team has had 1 match so far but as the opposition were defaulting 2 boards the two joint captains (one me stood down). Should I go back to the organisers or the opposing County for my wasted costs (20 pounds travel/plus special food).

What about my wasted costs in the Minor Counties quarterfinal v Cornwall last season (40 plus pounds).

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:18 am

Also that juniors come with their family & sometimes younger siblings (so their costs are likely to be far higher than usual. They also appear to need computer assisted technology to keep them occupied - whereas some of us can cope with TV/radio complementary newspapers. It ought not be hard to throw in some complementary chess magazines (hard copy to those affected either.
As for the weekend I'm not sure whether either of my opponents had fide ratings which is one of the sales pitches it seems to players. Getting 2 blacks is not a particular issue. Hopefully will get 2 whites in the next set of matches.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:44 am

"As there are significant financial penalties per board perhaps 4NCL ought to pass on to the affected teams to distribute to their affected players."

A good point. I claimed travel expenses years ago in the Civil Service League (and only a local trip) when an opposing team defaulted on Board 1 (as usual - same player six times), but there were three other players available and they didn't put one in as a sub. The opposing club said the three reserves were not there as reserves and wouldn't have given me a good game. The League rebuked them and I got travel expenses.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:56 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 pm
As for the Counties matches - my U160 team has had 1 match so far but as the opposition were defaulting 2 boards the two joint captains (one me stood down). Should I go back to the organisers or the opposing County for my wasted costs (20 pounds travel/plus special food).
For the National Stages, I have been told that such claims should be made directly to the organisers. You would have to ask Michael Flatt about the procedure in the SCCU Championships.
Nick Grey wrote:
What about my wasted costs in the Minor Counties quarterfinal v Cornwall last season (40 plus pounds).
In my view it is now too late for you to pursue that one.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:56 am

Nick Grey wrote:
In my view it is now too late for you to pursue that one.
We discussed that at the time and I assumed you had got it. I have to say that you took the wasted day more cheerfully than I might been able to do.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.