Page 1 of 1
British Rapidplay Championship 2026
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2026 3:55 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Freddy Waldhausen Gordon wins with 9.5/11, half ahead of Gawain Jones (who he beat in the last round) and Shreyas Royal.
https://s1.chess-results.com/tnr1369533 ... 0&SNode=S0
Re: British Rapidplay Championship 2026
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2026 4:34 pm
by Keith Arkell
Having already played 10 FIDE events this year, I decided to take the week off and watch this event live, from home. I wasn't disappointed as there were many wonderfully entertaining games, and the finish was breathtaking!
Gawain played brilliantly for 8 rounds but ran into a brutal display from Freddy Gordon in the last round. I think the chess world first noticed Freddy when, in the last round of the 2021 British Online Championship, aged just 10, he held a difficult ending against Michael Adams.
So Congratulations to Frederick Waldhausen Gordon!
As you would expect in fast chess, juniors were very much to the fore, with Shreyas, Yichen and Supratit all up there.
Bodhana, recently turned 11, shone again, as we come to expect these days. In fact she outscored all the seniors, which included Adams, Gormally, Hebden, Buckley and Wells.
I think it's fair to say that the future of British chess looks bright!
Re: British Rapidplay Championship 2026
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2026 8:27 pm
by Richard Bates
Keith Arkell wrote: ↑Sun Mar 15, 2026 4:34 pm
Bodhana, recently turned 11, shone again, as we come to expect these days. In fact she outscored all the seniors, which included Adams, Gormally, Hebden, Buckley and Wells.
Aided in part by a not quite senior having a senior moment and forgetting about the clock.
Knew she must have turned 11. I had all the 10 year olds under control last year…
Re: British Rapidplay Championship 2026
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2026 10:10 pm
by Keith Arkell
Ah yes that explains it. I remember seeing 0-1 in an equal position, but with your clock reading 0.00. Of course often when watching online that means diddly squat.
A bit shocking that you ( and Jack too!) become seniors, in chess terms, in just 3 years!
Re: British Rapidplay Championship 2026
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2026 3:51 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Keith Arkell wrote: ↑Sun Mar 15, 2026 4:34 pm
Having already played 10 FIDE events this year, I decided to take the week off and watch this event live, from home. I wasn't disappointed as there were many wonderfully entertaining games, and the finish was breathtaking!
Gawain played brilliantly for 8 rounds but ran into a brutal display from Freddy Gordon in the last round. I think the chess world first noticed Freddy when, in the last round of the 2021 British Online Championship, aged just 10, he held a difficult ending against Michael Adams.
So Congratulations to Frederick Waldhausen Gordon!
His IM title is now official:
https://ratings.fide.com/profile/2409143