Page 1 of 1

London Rapid Play Tourneys??

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:33 pm
by John Upham
Any one know much about

http://www.londonrapidplay.co.uk/ ??

The web site is mostly links to non-existent pages.

Do these events take place and if so when are the future ones?

Someone asked me about Rapid Plays in the Heathrow area : are these one and the same?

Thanks!

John

Re: London Rapid Play Tourneys??

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:36 pm
by Greg Breed
This is the Heathrow event you are referring to:-

http://www.chesstournaments.co.uk/index.html

Interestingly the title of the webpage is Lonodon Chess Tournaments!!

I have a feeling this is a new venture by Mr. Sainbayar who did the East Acton Rapidplays that I've been to on a number of occasions. The website you give refers to that monthly tournament. However it looks to be discontinued and I've noticed that none of the events have yet been submitted for grading. This is all conjecture on my part, but I sense some similarities.

Re: London Rapid Play Tourneys??

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:54 pm
by John Upham
Greg,
Are these well run tourneys?

You could PM me if you feel your reply might be inappropriate for public consumption.

John

Re: London Rapid Play Tourneys??

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:17 pm
by Greg Breed
They were friendly and sufficiently well run to get players to repeatedly turn up every month. The organiser even managed to fit in a lunch break where he would collect orders earlier and they would be served up during this time. I enjoyed it and many others did. I would say there were between 15 and 30 people on average.

Click on the previous tournaments tab, scroll down for the most recent(?!?!?!?) February 24th results. I performed at 147! in that tournament despite a 50% score and am rather disappointed to have lost that and all the others I took part in. If the grading submission is simply late then I apologise. As a league grader myself I know how time consuming it can be when done manually. Still, I expect it to be done! Having paid for the privilege!

On the "About Us" page it says this:
** Our tournaments will be ECF Graded and will be part of Grand Prix from SEPTEMBER 2007

Not yet it isn't! Not according to the Events Graded page on the ECF website:-
http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/events0405.htm

And neither do any of them appear on my list of results that ECF Members get at the end of the season - which I have already received...