Page 1 of 2

Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 am
by Chris Rice
Round 2 shock of the day top seed, Grandmaster Danny Gormally, lost to WECU’s retiring President, John Wheeler!

http://www.keverelchess.com/paignton-co ... 014-day-2/

Re: Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:16 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
John is a good player, but that is a fantastic result.

Re: Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm
by benedgell
One heck of a result. Really pleased for John.

Re: Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:36 pm
by Lewis Martin
Good result of course. I am astonished that Gormally has travelled all the way down to Paignton from Alnwick!

Re: Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:23 am
by Chris Rice
So wrapping this up Keith Arkell wins Paignton for the 20th time out of the 22 consecutive years he's been attending it. Is it just me or does anyone else find that a scary stat? Phenomenal.

http://www.keverelchess.com/paignton-co ... -day-rd-7/

Re: Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:52 am
by LawrenceCooper
Chris Rice wrote:So wrapping this up Keith Arkell wins Paignton for the 20th time out of the 22 consecutive years he's been attending it. Is it just me or does anyone else find that a scary stat? Phenomenal.

http://www.keverelchess.com/paignton-co ... -day-rd-7/
Almost as impressive as his win ratio with rook & bishop against rook :lol:

http://www.chessdevon.co.uk/HTML/congre ... n/base.htm

Re: Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:22 am
by Brendan O'Gorman
Some photos of the event: http://tinyurl.com/Paignton2014

Re: Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:21 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
So wrapping this up Keith Arkell wins Paignton for the 20th time out of the 22 consecutive years he's been attending it. Is it just me or does anyone else find that a scary stat? Phenomenal.

http://www.keverelchess.com/paignton-co ... -day-rd-7/


Almost as impressive as his win ratio with rook & bishop against rook :lol:

Keith is so boring and predictable!

Brilliant performance.

Re: Paignton

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:28 pm
by Ian Thompson
Chris Rice wrote:So wrapping this up Keith Arkell wins Paignton for the 20th time out of the 22 consecutive years he's been attending it. Is it just me or does anyone else find that a scary stat?
I find it an incorrect stat. :) Check the records for 1999.

Re: Paignton

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:54 am
by Keith Arkell
I didn't play in '99.

As I've reached a milestone I'll post my stats.

I've played in the Paignton Premier 22 times:

1986 1st
1987......2nd=
1988 1st
1989 1st
1990 1st
1991 1st=
1992 1st=
1993......2nd =
1994 1st =
1995 1st =
1998 1st
2002 1st =
2003 1st
2004 1st
2007 1st
2008 1st =
2009 1st
2010 1st
2011 1st
2012 1st
2013 1st
2014 1st

I can't remember who all of the shares were with, but I think there was one with Chris Ward and one with Gary Lane. in 2008 Gawain Jones and myself both scored 6.5/7

In 1992 GM Timoshchenko failed to win a prize after losing to Loz Cooper.

This year there was a tie for second between GM Danny Gormally, IM Richard Bates and FMs Dave Ledger and Steve Berry.

A lot of the earlier information is in Bob Jones' book on the history of the tournament.

Sadly we no longer play at the Oldway Mansions, but the Livermead hotel is very good nonetheless.

Re: Paignton

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:57 am
by David Sedgwick
Keith Arkell wrote:In, I think, 2002 GM Timoshchenko failed to win a prize after losing to Loz Cooper.
In 1992, surely?

Timoschenko had just tied for first place at the Lloyds Bank Masters and gained a lot of rating points. Then he went to Paignton and lost all of them.

Re: Paignton

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:27 am
by LawrenceCooper
[Event "Paignton Premier"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "1992.09.12"]
[Round "7"]
[White "Cooper, Lawrence"]
[Black "Timoshchenko , Gennadi A"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "A45"]
[PlyCount "117"]
[EventDate "1992.??.??"]


Re: Paignton

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:22 pm
by Keith Arkell
Sorry David, I actually meant to say 1992 - corrected now.

Re: Paignton

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:53 pm
by Simon Brown
Keith, we over 50s are allowed the occasional senior moment! Good luck to all of you in Greece

Simon

Re: Paignton

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:51 pm
by David Pardoe
Paignton is a superb late aummer event, played under excellent conditions, and also provides a nice opportunity for that late summer break, so I can well understand players like Gormally making the trip down from the north east.
It is many years since I last played there but I have fond memories, particularly of Oldway Mansion. A finer venue would be hard to to find.