Page 1 of 1
Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm
by Dave Ewart
Re: Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:18 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Dave Ewart wrote:Crosstables for all sections
The U225 being won by a local (Oxfordshire) junior with a 100% score. That's not unusual.
The U180 won by Keith's brother after one of England's most active players and photographer conceded/forced/settled for a draw in the last round.
Re: Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:50 pm
by Nick Burrows
A fine tournament by Brendon O'Gorman! 209 Rating Performance and a nice win vs Charlie Nettleton.
Re: Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:32 am
by Brendan O'Gorman
Thanks for the praise, Nick, and I'll forgive your misspelling my name.

My grading performance was actually 212 using the January grades, my best ever. As I suspected, however, my win against Charlie, while exciting, featured a dodgy exchange sac which left me with just a slight advantage whereas simply augmenting the rook with my queen on the open file was winning.
Re: Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:37 am
by Brendan O'Gorman
Roger, I agreed a draw with Nick because he'd been pressing for most of the game and I felt he was better when he offered a draw to secure outright victory. To be honest, I was also influenced by the grading disparity (177 v. 160). When I checked the final position with an engine, I was surprised to discover that it was pretty level.
Re: Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:44 am
by Nick Burrows
I'll blame the misspelling on my smartphone Brendon
Re: Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:21 pm
by Mike Truran