Huddersfield Congress

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Andrew Zigmond

Huddersfield Congress

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun May 29, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm not sure if it's my place to report this but I'm not sure this event has a thread on here.

The attention this weekend has been on Gatwick but Huddersfield Congress was hardly an insignificant event with Alex and Sarah Longson visiting to do battle with regular Open heavyweights Jim Burnett, Ali Jaunooby, Mike Surtees with defending champion Peter Shaw and rising star Jonah Willow thrown into the mix. The outcome can be found here http://www.huddersfieldchessclub.co.uk/ ... s/table/32

Huddersfield Congress isn't one that gets much attention, even within Yorkshire. This was my first visit and I have to say I can recommend it. It was professionally organised by Nigel Hepworth and Dave Tooley with rounds starting promptly and pairings posted well in advance of each round. Its one well worth checking out.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Huddersfield Congress

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun May 29, 2016 8:21 pm

I see the Longsons managed to avoid being paired against each other. How long has it been since the English chess scene saw a husband and wife competing in the same tournament? The tournament was decided by a final round win by Ali Jaunooby over Alex Longson.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun May 29, 2016 8:23 pm

About 2 months Chris, they both played at Wakefield 4NCL

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun May 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I see the Longsons managed to avoid being paired against each other. How long has it been since the English chess scene saw a husband and wife competing in the same tournament? The tournament was decided by a final round win by Ali Jaunooby over Alex Longson.
Specifically competing in the same tournament I once played John and Sandra Blackburn in successive rounds at Scarborough, albeit at a fairly low level.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:How long has it been since the English chess scene saw a husband and wife competing in the same tournament?
If you count Minors, I'd imagine every other weekend. Take a look at the Frome Minor for example
http://www.somersetchess.org/frome_cong ... Minor2016/

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun May 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I see the Longsons managed to avoid being paired against each other. How long has it been since the English chess scene saw a husband and wife competing in the same tournament? The tournament was decided by a final round win by Ali Jaunooby over Alex Longson.
Well, an obvious one is Susan Arkell/Lalic and her respective husbands.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon May 30, 2016 2:16 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:It was professionally organised
A pity the same can't be said about the results table!

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon May 30, 2016 2:26 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:It was professionally organised
A pity the same can't be said about the results table!
Actually, although there is no cross-table the names of opponents and results against them are available by clicking on the players name and selecting the Matches tab on the next form. For instance: http://www.huddersfieldchessclub.co.uk/ ... yer/32/233

The link doesn't display the particular page I wanted but it does show the 'Matches' tab.
The list of Prizewinners is given on the 'About Season' tab.

Although, the presentation may not match purpose-written pairing software the information is there.

Incidentally, in looking around the rest of the website,of which the Congress results page is one small part, it soon becomes clear how much work the Secretary puts into the club. He is to be commended.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:20 pm

Following this thread I've had an email from former Yorkshire player Rudy van Kemenade (now resident in Wales) who tells me that he and his wife Julie have regularly competed in the same section of congresses for many years. They were joint champions in Huddersfield in 2002 and again in Aberystwyth in 2015.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:27 am

In his first "Agony Column" Jon Speelman briefly remembers... when Magnus Carlsen was still a kid and then presents two interesting games by Rudy Van Kamenade... at the European Senior team Championship in Halkidiki 2016 where he played for Wales. (Chessbase)

http://en.chessbase.com/post/jon-speelm ... y-column-1