Tyneside Easter Congress 2017

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Brian Towers

Tyneside Easter Congress 2017

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:32 pm

42 players took part in the inaugural Tyneside Easter Congress at Forest Hall Chess Club, Newcastle over the Easter weekend of 14th to 16th April.

There were 12 players in the FIDE open, won by Danny Gormally who went into the last round a full point clear of the field and so could afford a quick draw. Special congratulations to the two ungraded players who outperformed. Mark Younger scored 1/4 against FIDE rated players and will have a FIDE rating in the May list. Stuart Skelsey scored 2/4 against FIDE rated players and just needs one more game in the next 26 months to also achieve a FIDE rating. Stuart also won the grading prize. Due to the low numbers there were prizes for 1st, 2nd and a grading prize.

Tyneside Easter Open
1st. GM Danny Gormally 4/5
2nd. FM Tim Wall 3.5/5
3rd=. FM Dave Walker, IM Mark Orr, Stuart Skelsey 3/5
Grading Stuart Skelsey

Tyneside Easter Major
1st. David Hall 4.5/5
2nd. Stephen Ormerod 4/5
Grading Ian Mackay

Tyneside Easter Minor
1st. William Metcalfe 4.5/5
2nd. Jeff Baird 4/5
Grading Neville Antony

The deciding game in the open was the second round clash between GM Danny Gormally and FM Tim Wall

Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Tyneside Easter Congress 2017

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Ah yes, Tim Wall - his "on-off" chess career appears to be back on at the moment.

Does he still play barmy openings when the mood takes him?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Brian Towers

Re: Tyneside Easter Congress 2017

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 pm

My impression is that while he still aims to play a sufficiently wide repertoire that he is difficult to prepare for he has given up the barmy stuff as life is too short and the proliferation of computers means dodgy openings are more likely to just get crushed nowadays. At least at his level.

That said, it was interesting today to see the American player Savage play Charlie Storey's "Sniper" against a top GM (Movsesian) and get a good game. I believe his is about the only one of the top games still going on - https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2017/1/1/6
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.