Fischer Placement Chess

The act of developing or disclosing that which is unknown.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Fischer Placement Chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Mats Winther wrote:The game went: 1. e4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5 3. exd5 Nxd5 4. Qf3 e6 5. Nxd5 Qxd5 6. d3 Qxf3 7. Nxf3... That's why it's not very good training to play on the ICC. The games seldom have any theoretical value, but are quite dull.
Although equal and rather dull, that's by no means an easy position to find the best plan. You wouldn't want to face Keith Arkell in that position with either colour. :)

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:16 pm

It's true that such positions still contain much chess, and I don't mind playing the French Exchange now and then either. It's just that it's too much of it. If one is going to devote time and energy to something, then one must try to create something deep, and leave something to the afterworld. For instance, if I'm interested in painting, then I won't choose cheap school colours and lousy paper. I would probably use oil colours, and I would read a book on how to use them, and I would paint on canvas, and try to make an effort. I would try to create something deep that I can proudly hang on the wall. Why waste one's time with inferior material? Cunning and understanding is an asset. If I play a good game on the ICC, even if it's my opponent who beats me with clever play, then a good painting has been created.
/Mats

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Mats Winther wrote:Aren't chess trainers interested in a variant where the young players cannot monotonously play their opening lines over and over again? Isn't it good training to think from the very beginning?
/Mats
I think Bughouse/Exchange/Team/Swap chess already has that market covered.

You can't play Gambits, for starters. Depending on the rule variants (which can be modified), you can play all sorts of openings that are good. We play a variant where you can put pieces on in check and mate (but deemed pawns on the 7th too wacky). It really sharpens tactical and positional skills. Tactically, all sorts of sacks work, given the stream of pieces coming from the other board. Black often has to set up a strong defence, and won't get enough tempi to launch his own attack (while trying to swap off to help his partner, who playing white, is sacking on his board). What's more, the games tend to be interesting (on the basis of the sacking), and fairly short, meaning you keep interest (games won't last longer than 5 minutes). You're also guaranteed to get a winner. You also see things such as "A Knight on h6 would be really good here." Of course, you can get that from your partner, but when you play a real game, you can see the same principle. So it helps with forming attacking plans. It also helps the defender, who has to be aware of that sort of thing all the time.

What's more, I've never heard a young player who doesn't want to play it.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:58 pm

It is now possible to play this variant online. Please have a look:

http://www.chessvariants.org/index/msdi ... =MPchess25(fische

/Mats