Title Player Chess Lessons

The act of developing or disclosing that which is unknown.
Gavin Strachan

Title Player Chess Lessons

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:26 pm

There are a fair few titled players offering their teaching services, obviously all good players. Question is can they teach? Do people see a significant improvement in their chess (like 40+ grading rise from initial). I am thinking more from the perspective of adults who have had (or having) lessons as opposed to juniors. I would not want any teachers slagged off though praise is a good advert. Considering the rate of pay for sessions, is it worth it? discuss in no less than 2500 words.

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Re: Title Player Chess Lessons

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm considering looking at being coached. The lack of response to this post is rather concerning!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:54 am

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:I'm considering looking at being coached. The lack of response to this post is rather concerning!
See http://www.ecfcoaching.org.uk/

I suspect that they would expect you to seek them out rather vice versa.

John
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 am

Surprised that no one has come back with GM/IM XXXX was brilliant and i would recommend him.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 am

GM Nigel Davies has (or used to) a one-off service - I sent him 5 of my games, and he emailed them back annotated in Chessbase format, with a recommended book list and some general comments

Ironically, one of the games was against now GM Stephen Gordon

I found Nigel's comments very useful and he cured me from chronic time trouble too

If I had the time to study all the books....
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 am

John Upham wrote:
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:I'm considering looking at being coached. The lack of response to this post is rather concerning!
See http://www.ecfcoaching.org.uk/

I suspect that they would expect you to seek them out rather vice versa.

John
Seeking out a random list of names is a difficult task, hence why recommendations for 'value for money' would be welcomed.

Being a Welshman there's a distinct lack of local talent offering coaching services, which inevitably means I'll have to turn to online tuition. This means I can choose from a guy in Bristol or in Bahrain. Choice is plentiful. Making the right choice is not so easy.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 am

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
Seeking out a random list of names is a difficult task, hence why recommendations for 'value for money' would be welcomed.
The AMCA is revamping its scale of charges for on-line coaching and the game annotation service.

I'll keep you posted when we ready to relaunch.
Last edited by John Upham on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:Surprised that no one has come back with GM/IM XXXX was brilliant and i would recommend him.
Dear Gavin,

Only just read your post. There are I suspect a few who might be excellent at coaching.

There is one that I know for definite who is brilliant. He has coached my son and is head coach at Kent. He is 'the best coach' I have ever seen working with kids - which is the acid test for a good coach, in general, in my opinion!

He gets on well with everybody and has a wicked sense of humour.

His name is Chris Ward GM.

He is a top genius blokey and I would recommend him to any adult or parent looking for a coach for their child.

There is one other who did do a simul with my son and then chatted to him about it after and gave him some excellent tips. I did notice that he was very relaxed and very good at communicating his ideas. (He allowed Rohan to choose the opening that he wanted to play, thereby having to play an opening which he was not familiar with himself.) He was not grumpy that Rohan was late (we were stuck in traffic!)

When the game was finished (and Rohan lost) he praised Rohan very nicely and communicated very well how Rohan could have played better. This was particularly good because it was not his own opening. I was very impressed because not many chess players can communicate so well.

His name is Keith Arkell GM - once again, top genius blokey and very helpful.

Not sure if this helps.

Best wishes, Krishna

charlesgalofre

Post by charlesgalofre » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 am

Martin, Ward, Davies, these are all reputable and well respected chess personalities.

There are also coaches online if you have trouble finding some in your vicinity/neighborhood. If you prefer online lessons check out:
http://chesstrainingschool.com/
I have no purpose in life.
what do you suggest?
Has anyone been able to find a f**king blindfold chess application/tool? thanks.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Dino Sujoulszic is the best coach coach in UK in my view and his pupils who currently play are testiment with the most immense over 150+ junior success rate I have ever seen.

My Housemate is pretty good, Tom Rendle. Comparative to the cost of the afforementioned "GM"'s. He is good value for money. He ocassionally helps me with my trashy openings.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Chris Ward and Andy Martin > Nigel Davies
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.