Your club on the FIDE web site

The act of developing or disclosing that which is unknown.
John Upham

Your club on the FIDE web site

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:20 pm

There is a feature on the FIDE web site to allow anyone to add an entry for their club.

I have done this for two clubs of which I am a member.

This entry has an associated unique URI that you can link to.

Here is the entry for Camberley Chess Club : http://www.fide.com/info/clubs?task=cit ... =Camberley :roll:

I've taken a liberty with our logo, it was a cross between an SAS reference and "Only Fools and Horses"! :lol:

Why not add your club : its free! :shock:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Michele Clack

Re: Your club on the FIDE web site

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:32 pm

That sounds interesting we will have to get our club on there. The google earth thing sounds good to. We have started picking up one or two members from the internet, any advertising online has got to be good. Have you any advice about setting up and running club websites? I put us onto a site with a local neswpaper years ago which is better than nothing but fiddly to use and not very versatile. However, at the moment something has gone wrong and we can't get into it to edit it which is bad news as we have changed venue. A proper site with our name on it would be better but I have no idea what the cost would be of something like that. Also would it be very difficult as I am not much of a techie?

John Upham

Re: Your club on the FIDE web site

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 pm

michele clack wrote:That sounds interesting we will have to get our club on there. The google earth thing sounds good to. We have started picking up one or two members from the internet, any advertising online has got to be good. Have you any advice about setting up and running club websites? I put us onto a site with a local neswpaper years ago which is better than nothing but fiddly to use and not very versatile. However, at the moment something has gone wrong and we can't get into it to edit it which is bad news as we have changed venue. A proper site with our name on it would be better but I have no idea what the cost would be of something like that. Also would it be very difficult as I am not much of a techie?

Do the leagues that your club plays in have their own sites? I allow member clubs to control their own content in

http://www.borderleague.org.uk/
http://www.berkshirechess.org.uk/
amongst others.

The real question is do you want a dynamic resource that provides a service to members?

Many sites are static and provide basic information : better than nothing.
Some have been "designed" by Joseph to match with his technicolour dreamcoat. Avoid.
The blog is a cheap and easy way to go but you need good content (such as the S&B blog)
A blog site with old content only is a big turn off. Dont try more than you can achieve.
A little static site with a useful domain name is easy.
Imagine how someone would search : "chess club biggleswade" for example. That must work.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D