Bookshop Experiences...

The act of developing or disclosing that which is unknown.
John Upham

Bookshop Experiences...

Post by John Upham » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Two weeks ago I visited my local bookshop (Book Boyz in Kingsmead, Farnborough) and found no chess books whatsoever. If' I'd wanted to start playing dice or car type games then the choice was much better.

I asked them if that had any chess books for children or beginners and they found none. I told them how popular chess is becoming amongst children. Today, they had several modern titles including a number of copies of John Saunders new book plus the slightly strange (IMHO)

Rapid Chess Improvement (Everyman Chess) (Paperback)
by Michael de la Maza :
http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Chess-Impro ... 1857442695

Maybe every member of this forum could try this trick?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

James Pratt

Re: Bookshop Experiences...

Post by James Pratt » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:47 pm

You are wrong or, rather, were wrongly advised.

Books Boyz stocked - when I visited recently - Chernev's Logical Chess and Chandler's How to Beat Your Dad at Chess and - as you say - Saunder's book. I have never seen John Saunder's book offered at full price now I think of it. Burgess book is quite a common sight and so is Gareth Williams's, often with sets attached.

James Pratt (Basingstoke!)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:05 pm

I was there about four weeks ago and they had no chess books at all. After I made sure of this I then asked the assistants who confirmed my research. New stock appeared around two weeks ago. It is a local shop for local people.

J.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Bookshop Experience: "I asked them if that had any chess books for children or beginners and they found none".
Another good try is the public library. School children are often advised to research their topics there and most libraries stock at least a few beginners fooks.

Regards - Ray