Page 1 of 2
Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:22 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
Starting a new thread for this.
Round 6 currently in progress.
https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2-gm/6/1/1
After round 5, Matthew Wadsworth leading on 4/5. Playing Jonah Willow in round 6.
Round 7 this afternoon, and final two rounds tomorrow.
GM norms are possible here, but looks like only Wadsworth can do that and has yet to play Hebden (and I have been unable to find a schedule of play that includes the pairings for each round) or what the required score is for a GM norm for Wadsworth.
There is also an IM norm APA:
https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2-im/6/1/1
The field is currently led by a CM registered with China (Dong, Bao Nghia) and an FM registered with Switzerland (Daniel Fischer), both on 4/5. The rest of the field is a mix of ENG, SCO and IRL. Also unable to find a schedule of play here that includes the pairings, or what the required score is for an IM norm.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:46 am
by Ian Thompson
Pairings, norm requirements, etc., are all on
chess-results.
The really eye-catching performance is in the
Masters Open, although his
round 5 loss was a bit of a disaster.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:49 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:22 am
The field is currently led by a CM registered with China (Dong, Bao Nghia) and an FM registered with Switzerland (Daniel Fischer), both on 4/5.
The former plays for The Sharks in the 4NCL.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:02 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:49 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:22 am
The field is currently led by a CM registered with China (Dong, Bao Nghia) and an FM registered with Switzerland (Daniel Fischer), both on 4/5.
The former plays for The Sharks in the 4NCL.
I thought something like that might be the case (apologies for being too lazy to look it up). To make it even worse, the flag is Vietnam, not China!

Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:39 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Dong now on 5/6 and needs 1.5/3 for an IM norm. Wadsworth in the other norm tournament needs 2.5/3 for a GM norm. No idea how the round 7 games are going, not looked yet.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:41 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Dong won despite being worse at some points. Wadsworth winning against Hebden at move 38.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:11 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Wadsworth won. James Moreby might win as well - what is the IM norm requirement in the GM norm tournament?
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:39 pm
by Ian Jamieson
I’m not an expert but I think Moreby needs 5.5/9 for an IM norm.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Ian Jamieson wrote: ↑Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:39 pm
I’m not an expert but I think Moreby needs 5.5/9 for an IM norm.
Agreed.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:24 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
Amazing rating performance so far from Gordon Frederick Waldhausen (5.5/7 and unbeaten so far):
http://chess-results.com/tnr657254.aspx ... SCO&snr=29
Rating is 2028. Performance rating is 2435. Gaining 121 rating points so far.
EDIT: I got the name above wrong. Of course this is "Freddy Gordon", the Scottish junior (Frederick Waldhausen Gordon) who has been making waves for a while. Is this another breakthrough performance? Still only aged 12 (I think) and now playing IM Marcus Harvey in round 8 of the Masters.
(I was going to calculate if an IM norm was possible if he played IMs or GMs in the last two rounds, but I don't think it is possible, partly because he would have to have played at least 3 IMs or GMs and that is not now possible [he beat the 'wrong' non-titled Eggleston in round 7], and partly because his score includes a half-point bye in round 1. The rating performance is still impressive.)
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:06 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 pm
Ian Jamieson wrote: ↑Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:39 pm
I’m not an expert but I think Moreby needs 5.5/9 for an IM norm.
Agreed.
Thank you. Unfortunately, he went wrong in closing out the win and only drew, so instead of needing to finish with two draws against Hebden (round eight) and Wadsworth (round nine) he needs a win and a draw, which might prove difficult, especially as Wadsworth (depending on his round 8 result against Yichen Han) might be needing to win against Moresby to gain his second(?) GM norm.
If Matthew Wadsworth does get a GM norm here (and I know that is by no means easy, but it does look doable), then I think I am right to say that it would be his second. The question I have, and maybe calculations should wait until the result of his current effort is known, is whether if (in a parallel universe) he had triumphed in his winner-takes-all clash with Grieve at the British, whether that would have produced a GM norm then (I don't think it would have, but am not sure)? What I am trying to get at is how consistently close to GM standard Wadsworth is playing (I think I saw a comment somewhere that his opening play has jumped several levels).
It might be worth remembering that Yichen Han and Jonah WIllow are maybe still in the hunt for an IM norm themselves, probably needing 2/2 and facing respectively Maksimenko and Makar; and Wadsworth and Grieve.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:06 am
by LawrenceCooper
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:06 am
It might be worth remembering that Yichen Han and Jonah WIllow are maybe still in the hunt for an IM norm themselves, probably needing 2/2 and facing respectively Maksimenko and Makar; and Wadsworth and Grieve.
Jonah has all his IM norms, rating and ratified title whilst Yichen Han made his third IM norm this month and also has the rating.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:52 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:06 am
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:06 am
It might be worth remembering that Yichen Han and Jonah WIllow are maybe still in the hunt for an IM norm themselves, probably needing 2/2 and facing respectively Maksimenko and Makar; and Wadsworth and Grieve.
Jonah has all his IM norms, rating and ratified title whilst Yichen Han made his third IM norm this month and also has the rating.
Oops. Thanks for clarifying that. I remember now reading about Jonah Willow, but not Yichen Han. I suppose that is why they are in the GM norm tournament.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:56 am
by IM Jack Rudd
Wadsworth wasn't anywhere close to a GM norm at the British, no. If you look at his field:
http://chess-results.com/tnr655607.aspx ... g=30&snr=8
You can see that, even after uprating Onslow to 2200, his first four opponents only average 2211.25. In order to get up to the necessary 2379.56 average, his last five would need to average well over 2500, and there weren't the players in the field for that to be possible.
Re: Northumbria Masters (26-30 August 2022)
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:48 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Plenty of norms at stake in the last round:
Wadsworth Matthew J v Moreby James
Wins needed for GM and IM norms respectively.
Olson Hamish v Fischer Daniel (Draw needed for black)
Stoyanov Viktor v Wall Gavin (Win needed for white)
Large Peter G v Dong Bao Nghia (Draw needed for black)