Page 1 of 1

Manchester Summer Chess Congress 18 August, 2023 - 20 August, 2023

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:05 am
by Mick Norris
The Twitch stream will be from FM Jonathan Blackburn and WIM British Ladies champion 2023 Lan Yao Rounds 1-3 and GM Pete Wells will cover round 4 and 5 with Jonathan Blackburn

Twitch Stream will start 30 minutes after the round starts

Live Games

Round 1 18:00 to 22:00
Round 2 10:00 to 14:00
Round 3 14:30 to 18:30
Round 4 10:00 to 14:00
Round 5 14:30 to 18:30

Re: Manchester Summer Chess Congress 18 August, 2023 - 20 August, 2023

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:32 pm
by Mick Norris
Worth looking at Keith defending bishop v rook and pawn

Lots of tight games on the top boards

Re: Manchester Summer Chess Congress 18 August, 2023 - 20 August, 2023

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:52 pm
by Ian Thompson
Mick Norris wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:32 pm
Worth looking at Keith defending bishop v rook and pawn
Why? I knew that ending was usually a draw, but both players made many mistakes according to chess.com's tablebase evaluation, and it was winning for White in the final position.

Near the end, Black missed 76 ... Bb6 to reach an easily drawn position.

Re: Manchester Summer Chess Congress 18 August, 2023 - 20 August, 2023

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:03 am
by Keith Arkell
Ian Thompson wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:52 pm
Mick Norris wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:32 pm
Worth looking at Keith defending bishop v rook and pawn
Why? I knew that ending was usually a draw, but both players made many mistakes according to chess.com's tablebase evaluation, and it was winning for White in the final position.

Near the end, Black missed 76 ... Bb6 to reach an easily drawn position.
I’m not going to blame tiredness for my inaccurate defence as my stamina is usually quite good, but I can perhaps attach some blame to the perpetual time-trouble brought on by 10 second increment when down to a minute, and, more annoyingly, a headache which I’ve had constantly since the start of June which has played havoc with my results.

Re: Manchester Summer Chess Congress 18 August, 2023 - 20 August, 2023

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:09 am
by LawrenceCooper
Ian Thompson wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:52 pm
Mick Norris wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:32 pm
Worth looking at Keith defending bishop v rook and pawn
Why? I knew that ending was usually a draw, but both players made many mistakes according to chess.com's tablebase evaluation, and it was winning for White in the final position.

Near the end, Black missed 76 ... Bb6 to reach an easily drawn position.
I found it interesting but I tend to prefer practical play to fact checking every move with an engine.

Re: Manchester Summer Chess Congress 18 August, 2023 - 20 August, 2023

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:28 am
by Mick Norris
It was interesting to watch live, given the body language of the players

Keith is normally the one pressing in those endgames, that is why I think it is of interest